Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Room Question >

Sewing Room Question

Sewing Room Question

Old 10-04-2010, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Tinabodina
I like the fact it has a door on it! :D
Yes a door is nice. My sewing room is right across from our bedroom so if I want to be in there sewing I can shut the door so the light and noise don't bother my husband.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:21 AM

Organization! Organization! Organization!
Old 10-04-2010, 09:28 AM

Design Walls, Great Lighting, Lots of Electrical Circuits, Cutting Table that Doubles as Storaage.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:34 AM
e4

I wish I had easy storage for projects in progress. I often have several projects going at the same time and don't want to always fold things up and put them in bins to keep my workspace neat. Some sort of large doors or hangers or shelves (or all three) where projects can go and be neat, but easily accessible is really important.

I notice that someone said a closet. I'm glad I have a closet to keep the miscellaneous stuff I don't want to see constantly, but I wish it had folding doors or something other than 2 sliding doors. If what I need to get to is in the middle its hard to get out and half the time I have something on one side and another thing I need to get to is on the other side. That means I'm constantly sliding doors one way or another to get to stuff. also, sometimes its too easy just to shove stuff in the closet, which means it gets junked up. Be careful to have an actual place for things.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:05 PM

I would love a sewing room that was just mine. I share my 10 x 10 room with my 2o y/o daughter who scrapbooks. There's never enough room.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:35 PM

I don't really have a sewing room yet, but when I do get one, I really want a large drawer for putting all the components of a project, without having to fold the heck out of it.
I'd also like a closet of sorts, because it seems like I always have a quilt top or some interfacing that I'd rather hang than fold.
A large ironing board, a large design wall, a sturdy cutting table at a height that's right for ME, oh yeah, and a long arm machine! I'd want all those.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:02 PM

My sewing room is the same size as yours. It's a bedroom I requisitioned after all the kids flew the coop. I repainted, stripped the carpet and installed wood laminate, fitted three white bookshelves from WalMart along one wall for fabric storage and a small flat screen TV. The closet is storage also. I love my Koala sewing table. It has a leaf that extends for cutting and helps to hold a big quilt when I'm machine quilting. I positioned it near the window for the view and natural lighting. One thing I really love is my wall mounted folding ironing board! DH calls the room the Woman Cave. I just love having my very own space to sew and be creative in. If I'm deep into a project and things get messy, I just close the door. Lot's of great ideas here. I'm sure you'll love your space and I hope we get to see the pictures!
Old 10-04-2010, 01:06 PM

My design wall is wonderful and takes up no room !!! I also have hanging shoe caddies over my doors. They are see thur and again take up no precious floor space.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by CindyBee
My sewing room is the same size as yours. It's a bedroom I requisitioned after all the kids flew the coop. I repainted, stripped the carpet and installed wood laminate, fitted three white bookshelves from WalMart along one wall for fabric storage and a small flat screen TV. The closet is storage also. I love my Koala sewing table. It has a leaf that extends for cutting and helps to hold a big quilt when I'm machine quilting. I positioned it near the window for the view and natural lighting. One thing I really love is my wall mounted folding ironing board! DH calls the room the Woman Cave. I just love having my very own space to sew and be creative in. If I'm deep into a project and things get messy, I just close the door. Lot's of great ideas here. I'm sure you'll love your space and I hope we get to see the pictures!
Woman Cave - I like it!!! Loving these wonderful suggestions!! No closet in my room, but I have lots of bookshelves and a dresser with large drawers commandeered when my kids flew the nest. I have a small sewing table but am thinking of getting a Koala or something like it. I will send pics when it gets done.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by BetsyB
Originally Posted by CindyBee
Woman Cave - I like it!!! Loving these wonderful suggestions!! No closet in my room, but I have lots of bookshelves and a dresser with large drawers commandeered when my kids flew the nest. I have a small sewing table but am thinking of getting a Koala or something like it. I will send pics when it gets done.
Please do share pictures when you're done, BetsyB. Good luck with everything.