Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing scrap strips to PAPER >

Sewing scrap strips to PAPER

Sewing scrap strips to PAPER

Old 04-13-2011, 01:04 PM

What would you put in the middle: Some kind of crap scrap?
Old 04-13-2011, 03:59 PM

used dryer sheets are no more flammable than cotton fabric. If they would go poof at any high temperature then they would not work in a dryer. Try burning a scrap of cotton and a scrap of dryer sheet, the difference is that the cotton burns to an ash, the sheet to a black glop as it is a synthetic. If you burn a scrap of polyester fabric and a dryer sheet they act the same. If you are hanging out close to an open flame of course be careful, because any fabric will go poof if you put a flame to it.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by rn2639
OH MY GEE.....what a marvelous brilliant awesome idea.
(running to grab the dryer sheets now!!!!!!!!) THANK YOU for that idea. How clever is THAT?????? I love it!!

Originally Posted by erstan947
I am currently using used dryer sheets. It doesn't need to be removed. It becomes part of the quilt without adding noticeable weight to the quilt.
Make sure they're used dryer sheets. I tried using new ones because I don't use dryer sheets in laundry - when I ironed them they had greasy looking spots on them. Fortunately I just did two to test.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:55 AM

LOL...i wish they made square filters...i dont sew round stuff ha ha
Originally Posted by jlm5419
Don't forget coffee filters for nice round shapes. They tear easily too, at least mine do. I got 160 for $1 at the dollar store.
I bought a package of the larger ones and after I ironed them I cut them into squares by just trimming off the edges all around. I did some circles - not as much fun as squares altho they make some striking blocks.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by K.P.
I have used Bounty paper towels, the one with 11 inch square sheets, you don't need to take the paper out either, they stay inside the quilt, makes a nice heavy quilt too. Bounty is tougher than some other paper towles, and don't tear/wad up after being washed, works great. The crazy quilt that is in my avatar is made on Bounty towels...
Oh, thank you for that idea - I use Bounty all the time. Never thought about putting them in crazy quilts. My mother always used newspaper then had to remove it before she quilted. Never any problem with bleeding ink either. I wonder how Viva paper towels would do? They're almost like cloth.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by lass
I also use the news print (clean) that you can get at a moving and storage place. It isn't too badly priced and there is always alot of it in one box.
I have saved a lot of moving paper from my last move, thought I'd save it for the next move...but I think it has found a new life. I'm sure a dry iron & laying it flat under some heavy books will work fine. Thanks!
Old 04-23-2011, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by kellen46
used dryer sheets are no more flammable than cotton fabric. If they would go poof at any high temperature then they would not work in a dryer. Try burning a scrap of cotton and a scrap of dryer sheet, the difference is that the cotton burns to an ash, the sheet to a black glop as it is a synthetic. If you burn a scrap of polyester fabric and a dryer sheet they act the same. If you are hanging out close to an open flame of course be careful, because any fabric will go poof if you put a flame to it.
Good points you make here.
My DH works as a high voltage electrician for 25+ years & it is against the rules for him to wear anything but cotton at work. Because...when polyester gets heated it will melt into your skin...fuses, & makes it more difficult to treat burns, is what we are told. I realize this may be off-topic, but I guess it's the fact that kids are less likely to actually "stop, drop, & roll" that they recommend they sleep in polyester, not cotton.
Ok, I just had to know more... so here are some facts: "Wool and silk are protein fibers and are difficult to ignite. They may self-extinguish, but this varies depending on the closeness of the weave. Sometimes, blends are more dangerous than either fiber. For example, fabrics of 50 percent cotton and 50 percent polyester tend to burn longer than a similar fabric of either cotton or polyester." http://www.extension.iastate.edu/pub...ons/ncr174.pdf

So...keep a few tightly woven 100% WOOL blankets around, as part of your fire safety/drill. I guess it's not really off-topic, if we are all making quilts to cover our precious friends & family. Good to think about what we are putting in to them.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:33 AM

Hi yall

My friend go me a free roll of the exam table paper u see at the doctors office...the paper you sit on. Ha ha.
I have decided to use it to sew my strips onto!!! It tears really easy and I wont have to buy any muslin!

Whats your favorite "foundation" method? I love and welcome new ideas. I especially love them if it is something that saves me MONEY!
Have a great day...please comment :-)
I use old sheets that are too worn to use for quilt backs, presentation cases, etc. we cut them into 10.5" squares and stockpile them for our surplus of strips. The beauty of this type of foundation is that a batting of used flannel sheets makes a good, solid quilt - - thin, inexpensive, but very warm and cuddly <wave>