Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing scrap strips to PAPER >

Sewing scrap strips to PAPER

Sewing scrap strips to PAPER

Old 04-11-2011, 02:52 PM

When I was making curtains for my kitchen with apple appliqued on them, i used dsed dryer sheets so I wouldn't have to try and turn under 1/4 inch on 30 apples. It worked very well. sew it, slit the dryer sheet, turn it and press it. then all you have to do is sew it on.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
I'm stitching on adding machine roll! 3" wide using scraps! There was a Topic on this by Sue Fish! She has made fantastic quilts using this method!
Me Too
Old 04-11-2011, 03:29 PM

It would take a quilter to find a good use for that paper.

It truly is NO good to sit on - only sticks to your underside. Seeing how they have you undress, sit on the end of the table and say, "The doctor will be right in".

Forty-five minutes later I begin to think I just may have come on the wrong day, and they want me to wait until my actual appoinment that is really tomorrow!
Old 04-11-2011, 03:31 PM

When I was a kid (I have grandkids now), my mom let me make my first string quilt using old newspapers as the foundation. Ink didn't rub off as easily then or it seems like it didn't anyway. Would hate to do it now.

I've used copy paper, notebook paper, whatever is handy. Next time I'm doing something different. I have a stack of muslin squares cut out and I am using those as the foundation and won't have to pull it off. Since there is an extra layer of fabric, I'll use a really thin batting. Will make a nice quilt for those cool nights.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by DianD
...at the end of quilting, I sew all strips and crumbs- I call them "Scraggly Bits"- to my roll, wind it up and leave it there for next time!
I'd love to see a pic of your roll, & what you do with them. I'm a frugal quilter and love to make efficient use of all my scraps. Even though I've kept a lot, I haven't used many tiny pieces.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by sewmom
...I used "used" dryer sheets so I wouldn't have to try and turn under 1/4 inch on 30 apples. It worked very well. sew it, slit the dryer sheet, turn it and press it. then all you have to do is sew it on.
So, you never pulled the dryer sheet off? Also would a lightweight non-fusible stabilizer work for this? Just asking, as I haven't done any turned applique, but would like to if it wasn't too finicky.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:37 PM

mine is muslin.. my squares are 9 when finish... A lot of fun this way using up all my scraps... :thumbup: :lol: ;-) :roll:

mine is muslin.. my squares are 9 when finish... A lot of fun this way using up all my scraps... :thumbup: :lol: ;-) :roll:

Old 04-11-2011, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltSage
My Mom told me she used newspaper "in the olden days". I think it would bleed ink onto the fabrics. I have used printer paper. Doctors exam paper would be really good because it would tear easier. But I like the idea of recycling something that has already served it's purpose elsewhere. I;m thinking used doctor office paper would NOT be good. Eeeewww.
The older printing inks didn't figure into it. The warmth it added was more important.