Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing Threads and bobbins. >

sewing Threads and bobbins.

sewing Threads and bobbins.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:53 AM

Default sewing Threads and bobbins.

Hi, I have been doing a lot of reading about threads and machine needles, as I was having problems with my applique and my machine ( Janome 7700 ).I have been thinking of swapping from a cotton thread to a polly thread for all my quilting. I am sick of the build up of fluff from cotton. So far I am thinking of getting So Fine 50 for all the basic work, bobbin and top. Only use particular colours or threads when the job calls for it. So would love to hear what others think about this. Cheers Quilter qld.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:57 AM

I use So Fine exclusively for piecing and I only buy white, black, 402, gray and use red occasionally. I use it in the bobbin. Have never had a problem with this thread. Yes it can be $$ but a cone seems to last forever. I figure that I have spent a lot of $ on fabric, put in lots of time on the project, I want quality thread! I also have the local quilt store do my edge to edge quilting and they always use So Fine.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:13 AM

i use only so fine superior thread in all my machines. i love it.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:43 AM
Power Poster

I usually use Bottomline for piecing in top and bottom. But don't forget that your fabric will also produce lint, so you will still have to clean your machine, just not quite as often.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
.............But don't forget that your fabric will also produce lint, .........
And your quilt batting!!

Not all cotton threads are equal in the lint department.
You didn't mention what cotton threads you are using ... some are notorious in leaving lots of lint!
Aurifil (cotton) leaves much less than many others.

Just remember ... there's no rules!
Do what works for YOU ... and what YOU are content with!
Old 09-25-2013, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

Bottom Line is great bobbin thread. I use it for top and bobbin when the block has many pieces. Superior is having a sale on Bottom Line right now. I got the email today.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:21 PM

Thanks Ladies for your input. I am going to give So Fine a try and see how it goes. They have a 1000mts cone for $6.00 as a try me special. If it works well will get the bigger one next time. Very warm here is Queensland Australia so I am having a day of from sewing. Cheers
Old 09-25-2013, 10:59 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

Hi Quilter QLD..I am a quilter in western australia and I just had a look at your quilts that you made and i love your frill neck lizard quilt. Cant give you much advice re thread though but have read lots of good reviews for glide thread but as usual havent had any luck locating any in Australia.
Do you shop online much and do you find postage expensive?
Old 09-26-2013, 03:23 PM

You can absolutely use poly in your piecing and quilting if you want to. However, you need to give it more give by fewer stitches per inch and/or looser tension. This avoids that problem that some quilter's reported of the thread 'slicing through' the cotton after some years of use. I PREFER cotton, but I've received from very valuable tips from quilts with many more years of sewing than I. I also found out that some threads that produce no lint in my Brother, produce tons of lint in my Bernina and visa versa. So, it could simply be how your machine runs on a specific brand of thread.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:43 PM

I've been using So Fine 50, for over a year now. LOVE it! Sign up for Superior's newsletter and watch for the Deal of The Day. You can get some great bargains, that way.

I also have a 7700 and have had no problem at all, with that thread. I've never had to adjust tension or anything. I do use the same type thread in both top and bobbin.

Last edited by Neesie; 09-26-2013 at 04:48 PM.