Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing w/ Hand Lotion >

Sewing w/ Hand Lotion

Sewing w/ Hand Lotion

Old 01-10-2012, 05:41 AM

I use Bag Balm on my hands at night, it is used for cow utters and can be found at WM etc. Its works great for cracked skin and such, DS has eczema and it works great on his breaks outs. I also found DERMISIL at Dollar Store, it works wonderfully on my dry skin during these cold dry winters and leaves no greasy feel.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
A great lotion for dry/cracked skin is Freederm Eczema Cream. In the advertisement, it looks too good to be true, but it works great! My skin was so bad, my hands would crack & bleed. My face was constantly a raised bumpy rash. The difference was noticeable in a couple of days. I've been using it for 5-6 years now. It's great stuff!

http://www.freederm.com/
How much is this cream? I have so many creams that don't work for eczema I hate to buy another one if it's expensive.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt-Till-U-Wilt View Post
How much is this cream? I have so many creams that don't work for eczema I hate to buy another one if it's expensive.
$29.95 or 2 for $49.95 with bonus of moisturizer and soap. I buy the 2 pack about twice a year. It isn't greasy, which is very nice. I had spent a fortune on all kinds of prescription creams and none worked. This was the only thing that worked for me. I think it's worth every penny! If you sign up for their mailing list, they sometimes have a sale, which is the equivalent of free shipping.

This is the order page:

http://www.freederm.com/index.php?cPath=22
Old 01-10-2012, 07:07 AM

I just found the Freederm on amazon and it got bad reviews. They said the company removed the steroids and now it doesn't work. Have you bought yours recently? I have a compound with steroids from my Dr. that I use when I need to and then use Aqua Phor or Aveeno in between. Always looking for something better though.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

Great advise, thank you ladies.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt-Till-U-Wilt View Post
I just found the Freederm on amazon and it got bad reviews. They said the company removed the steroids and now it doesn't work. Have you bought yours recently? I have a compound with steroids from my Dr. that I use when I need to and then use Aqua Phor or Aveeno in between. Always looking for something better though.
A couple of years ago, I got a batch that was a different formula. I didn't realize it until a couple of days after using it when my face became red again. I emailed them to ask if they had changed and they said they had made a change, but still had the other formula in stock. They sent it out free of charge. I did not have to return the original shipment. I've ordered several times since then and have not had an issue. When I order, I always put a comment to send the original formula. I think that is all they have now. They will refund your money if you aren't satisfied. For $30, it's worth a try. I almost didn't try it...I was so disgusted with all money spent on the prescriptions. My hubby encouraged me to give it a try. I'm so glad I did!
Old 01-10-2012, 07:37 AM

I use Lubriderm. No greasy feeling.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:35 AM

Well, I'm headed to Walmart this afternoon to invest in some Udder Cream, Bag Balm and Gold Bond. My hands are so bad, I'm going to try all three!
I love Curel, but not sure about using it with sewing. I have Lubriderm but it's not touching these cracked knuckles.
Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 01-10-2012, 09:55 AM

I swear by Gold Bond Ultimate softening skin therapy cream with Shea Butter. As a pet groomer, I am in and out of the water, hot blow dryers, hair falling from the shears.....I use this about 50 times a day ( a tiny bit the size of a pencil eraser ) and it WILL NOT leave your hands greasy and NO hair sticks to my hands!!! I could NOT live without this . About $6.00 a big 6.8 ounce tube at Walmart....I have about 5 tubes in the grooming shop!!
Old 01-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

I bought a hand cream in a round tin at Lowe's called Working Hands. It's great. Non greasy and has staying power. It works with no frills. Bag Balm (sold in most quilt shops for sore quilting fingers) will heal severe dry cracked skin. Drs Without Borders use it to heal the severe bleeding heels of many of the people who go barefoot in hot dry countries. Walmart use to sell it but changed to another brand that is not as good. Hancock's sells it and most feed stores have it too.