Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Sharing a Design for a border

  1. #1
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,532
    I found this tile while walking my dogs. I thouht what a great border idea

    Donīt know if you have trouble thinking about new ideas for borders but I do all the time.

    Whatcha think ?

    Elle

    You could make the strips in lines and then cut them to size then attach a 1/4 of a HST to each strip of two.
    Name:  Attachment-46677.jpe
Views: 14
Size:  27.9 KB

  2. #2
    Alaskan lady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southeast Panhandle
    Posts
    680
    Great idea for a border. I'm always looking at tile work and thinking quilt patterns too. Thanks for sharing.

  3. #3
    Super Member NorBanaquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    2,900
    I think that would be great :lol:

  4. #4
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,532
    Glad you like the idea, howevr not being used to putting small pieces of fabric together it did kindof challenge me as to how to do this.

    Was I correct in the way I put it together.

    Elle

  5. #5
    bearpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,635
    Very pretty Elle! It sounds like it would work the way you put it together. Are you going to do the little square in a square block? It looks tiny!

  6. #6
    Super Member feline fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    9,016
    Yes this would make a beautiful border. I would assemble like seminole piecing. I would make one strip unit consisting of 1 1/2" strips of cream, brown, black, brown then cream again. Once all assembled I would cut this stip set into 1 1/2" units. The other strip set would be more complicated because you need to piece all those little brown squares in a black square that would measure 1 1/2" square unfinished, easier if you PP or just increase the sizes but for the sake of explaining lets keep it at 1 1/2". Then to those you would need to attach a stip of cream to either side 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" wide or 3" to be safe. Assemble the two units by lining up to your square in a square. Once you have your border done, lop off the pointy bits.

  7. #7
    Power Poster Ninnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Athens Ga
    Posts
    11,448
    Wow, Elle, that is really a great idea for a border.
    and I thinkff has it right about the way to go about it.

  8. #8
    Super Member joeyoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    2,202
    That would be an awesome border.

  9. #9
    paintedquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasaga Beach, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,702
    Isn't amazing how we quilters can always see quilt patterns in almost everything we see? Now if I could just figure out the measurements!

  10. #10
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,532
    Okay here are the measurements.

    Each square is 1" finished. the little Dk cream block in the middle of the black is just a titch over 1/2"

    The tile is 13" long. The cream HST is 1 1/2" from the brownish line to the point. It measures a titch over 2 1/2" from the top of each brown marble square.

    Hope that makes sense. Heh you all like it, I thought it was really neat and different.

    Elle

  11. #11
    BlueChicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    2,411
    That's awesome.... thank you for sharing! I'm starting to notice things like that too... and funnily enough, so is hubby!! LOL He quite often points to things now and says "you should make a quilt like that". ;-)

  12. #12
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,532
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueChicken
    That's awesome.... thank you for sharing! I'm starting to notice things like that too... and funnily enough, so is hubby!! LOL He quite often points to things now and says "you should make a quilt like that". ;-)
    Its amazing, they start of by saying oh you making a quilt, in a disinterested tone, now mine has a cataloge sent to him so I can choose things I might need and he actually picked out a quilt that he really liked. I could have never have guessed in a million years he would have picked this out. black, white and red 9 patch.

  13. #13
    Super Member sew cornie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,872
    Beautiful Elle! Don't you just love how you can see the potential for inspiration in everyday things? I remember seeing a mosaic tile floor medallion in an old building years ago and my first thought was what a beautiful quilt it would be. Thanks for sharing!

  14. #14
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,532
    Quote Originally Posted by sew cornie
    Beautiful Elle! Don't you just love how you can see the potential for inspiration in everyday things? I remember seeing a mosaic tile floor medallion in an old building years ago and my first thought was what a beautiful quilt it would be. Thanks for sharing!
    You are so welcome. Here in Spain most of the houses are tiled on the outside and so many of them are just so pretty, however they are complex for a quilting project.

    This was one of the simplist ones I have seen.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    216
    That tile is just beautiful!! I have a selection of fabric that I have not decided on a pattern for yet, but I can totally see that border being used anyway! I may have to steal this idea:)

    Thanks for sharing:)

    Lynette

  16. #16
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,532
    Quote Originally Posted by lyndawn
    That tile is just beautiful!! I have a selection of fabric that I have not decided on a pattern for yet, but I can totally see that border being used anyway! I may have to steal this idea:)

    Thanks for sharing:)

    Lynette
    Feel free and lets see a picture if you do it.

    In fact anyone who does use this design I would love to see it.

    Me, well I am just not into this type of patchwork, I love PP and applique, I get really wild when I work with titchy pieces.

    Good luck evryone. Elle :D

  17. #17
    Super Member SharonC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    1,551
    I love this for a border. I had to laugh, last year while I was in Rome I was taking all kinds of pictures in the Sistine Chapel (walls, floors, windows, etc.) as inspiration. Have a few I think I'll tackle after all the holiday gifts and wedding quilt :) :).

  18. #18
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,532
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonC
    I love this for a border. I had to laugh, last year while I was in Rome I was taking all kinds of pictures in the Sistine Chapel (walls, floors, windows, etc.) as inspiration. Have a few I think I'll tackle after all the holiday gifts and wedding quilt :) :).
    Thats exactlywhat I did when I went to Granada (Spain) when I visited a Palace there but they were very intricate.

    Elle

  19. #19
    Super Member SharonC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    1,551
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonC
    I love this for a border. I had to laugh, last year while I was in Rome I was taking all kinds of pictures in the Sistine Chapel (walls, floors, windows, etc.) as inspiration. Have a few I think I'll tackle after all the holiday gifts and wedding quilt :) :).
    Thats exactlywhat I did when I went to Granada (Spain) when I visited a Palace there but they were very intricate.

    Elle
    Isn't it funny how quilting touches so many different aspects of our lives...even architechture, travel, etc :) :) :) I'm headed to Mexico in 4 weeks and intend to have my camera at the ready :) :)

  20. #20
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,532
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonC
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonC
    I love this for a border. I had to laugh, last year while I was in Rome I was taking all kinds of pictures in the Sistine Chapel (walls, floors, windows, etc.) as inspiration. Have a few I think I'll tackle after all the holiday gifts and wedding quilt :) :).
    Thats exactlywhat I did when I went to Granada (Spain) when I visited a Palace there but they were very intricate.

    Elle
    Isn't it funny how quilting touches so many different aspects of our lives...even architechture, travel, etc :) :) :) I'm headed to Mexico in 4 weeks and intend to have my camera at the ready :) :)
    You will have some wonderful pictures to bring back, have a wonderful time.

  21. #21
    reneebobby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    cleveland ohio
    Posts
    3,907
    Oh that would be really pretty.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.