Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: For Sharon and Roy

I know that we are all looking for a way to comfort Sharon and to let her know that she has our support during this difficult time.

Sharon, we all love you - and we want to honor the selfless and caring example you and Roy have set for us. We appreciate so very much Roy's 39 years of service as a Fire Fighter; we are proud of the many family members you have serving our country, and they all have our heart-felt gratitude. We are so proud of your service as the President of your chapter of Blue Star Mothers.

We, the members posting to this thread, are committing to make donations to our local Fire Fighters and military support organizations in need - in memory of Roy. It is our sincere hope that our small acts will bring you comfort and will carry on the example you set for us each day.

For all of us who participate in this tribute, jbsstrawberry has provided the following link to many sewing patterns for charitable causes:
    http://www.angelfire.com/planet/mcsh...ns.html/#adult

Suggestions for donation recipients include local Fire Departments (call first to determine the need), local Veterans organizations, or national organizations such as Comfort Quilts: http://www.marinecomfortquilts.us/

An example of text for the label or card:
    Donated in loving memory of Roy Dudley who passed from this world June 1, 2009 He was a loyal fire fighter of 39 years; loving man, husband and father. On behalf of his wife, Sharon and their family.

Let's show Sharon and Roy just how much we care!

We do love you so mimisharon!! So very proud of all Roy, you and your family have done and are doing for all of us. I'm very proud to donate something special in honor of Roy on your behalf and hope that many more will join us in this endeavor!

Sharon, in honor of your family DH and I have committed to do 30 stockings like these to be sent on and filled with goodies for our troops at Christmas. May it bring them a bit of the joy you've brought to us.

Blog Entries
    sharon had made a commitment to finish 20 quilts for Wounded Warriors (military) in her area by July 1st. i don't see how she can meet that deadline now. if anyone else out there has her address and wants to chip in, i encourage you to do what you can. a generous lap quilt or twin size is great, but even 4' x 5' works well when you're sitting on the sofa or in a chair. they'll go straight from sharon's mail box to a great cause.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    sharon had made a commitment to finish 20 quilts for Wounded Warriors (military) in her area by July 1st. i don't see how she can meet that deadline now. if anyone else out there has her address and wants to chip in, i encourage you to do what you can. a generous lap quilt or twin size is great, but even 4' x 5' works well when you're sitting on the sofa or in a chair. they'll go straight from sharon's mail box to a great cause.
    I will get started on one right away! Are there any stipulations/regulations for making these???

Blog Entries
    Amma, usually they have some kind of guidelines and I am looking at their web site right now, but can't find anything. I have to leave work now :wink: going to my local quilt store for fat quarters, then home and I will look some more.
    Sharon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    Amma, usually they have some kind of guidelines and I am looking at their web site right now, but can't find anything. I have to leave work now :wink: going to my local quilt store for fat quarters, then home and I will look some more.
    Sharon
    Thank you, I looked at their website too, and all the other searches show quilts made and presented...I still can't find any info on the quilt specs.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    Excellent idea Patrice!! Thanks!!

I would like to help, but don't have Sharons snail mail addy. Can anyone PM it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkrose4664
    I would like to help, but don't have Sharons snail mail addy. Can anyone PM it?
    I would like to help with this cause as well....pm me her addy and any spefications......

I think ALL the ideas are great ones!
    For those that don't have her addy...PM me

Blog Entries
    there aren't really any "must-do" specifications. some will go to men; some to women. the warriors are military, so will range in age from 18 to 45.

red/white/blue is always a safe color combination, but - seriously - any quilt you'd be happy to snuggle under yourself will be greatly appreciated by whoever gets it. :P

Banned
    I'm donating to our local FF in Roys name this morning. Thanks for the idea :D

I could make the top for a lap-sized quilt. The sandwiching and quilting would take me forever, so if you are wanting to get these done and out by Sharon's deadline, I couldn't realistically do it. I may just make what I can and get it out at a later date, with a label acknowledging Roy.

*bump*

Quote Originally Posted by Ducky
    I could make the top for a lap-sized quilt. The sandwiching and quilting would take me forever, so if you are wanting to get these done and out by Sharon's deadline, I couldn't realistically do it. I may just make what I can and get it out at a later date, with a label acknowledging Roy.
    This sounds like a good idea for me too. Sharon, hugs for you and prayers, sweetie.

In uncomfortable situations, I tend to try to lighten things up a bit. I have donated 2 daughters to the fire service but I know that's not enough. I will do my best to get a quilt done for one of the services or even for the police department where my son-in-law works. What would we do without them?
    I'm rather shocked to hear about Roy and send all my sympathy to Sharon and family. God bless you, Sharon.

would love to make a quilt, but only hand quilt, so will make a donation in Roy's memory to our local volunteer fire dept.

Ninnie

So very sorry for your loss Sharon. My heart and prayers go out to you and your family.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN WHEN IT SAYS *BUMP*?

The person is "bumping" the post back to the top of the posts, so it does not get lost at the bottom.

OH OK I'VE ALWAYS WONDERED WHAT THAT MEANT, THANKS - NOW I KNOW.

You are very welcome!

Do you have any idea how much I love all of you? I've been so overwhelmed by the loss of my Roy that I've not been able to even open my computer for the most part. My sister and my Neil have been trying to respond to as many of the emails as they could and I apologize if I've not answered you nor sent you the thank you cards for the wonderful things some of you have sent me, the cards you've sent, and the love I've felt. I have tried to answer some of the emails the last couple of days but, as right now, I've tears running down my face and eyes swollen so much I can hardly see. If I have typos or things that drive English teachers crazy, bear with me...

I love all your ideas, there are no specifics on the quilts, I was making lap quilts for wheelchairs, bundle quilts for those that are confined to bed as my Roy was in the hospital. The only thing I ever did was pray for the person receiving the efforts and love as I made them.

I will be back soon, my mom has told me to buck up but I have 24/7 retraining to do. I still hear him in the middle of the night. I still have his voice of 'baby baby baby' in my morning routine.

My soldier goes back to Afghanistan on Thursday he is having a difficult time with this loss as well. My Neil is in tears a lot still. My grands are trying to distract us and one of these days when I'm able I will tell you about my 13 year old granddaughter writing and speaking at her Papa's funeral.

But today I must beg forgiveness for not being here now, I feel your hugs, I feel your love, and I WILL buck up and get on with life soon. Roy Lee would want that and only conceded to going with Jesus when I assured him I would be alright soon.

I love you,
    Mimisharon
    Sharon & Family

Blog Entries
    Sharon,
    the last thing that you should be worried about is replying to our cards or email. We wanted you to know that we love you and were thinking about you. When you are ready, you will be welcomed back here with open arms and many ((((HUGS))))
    Take the time to you need to heal....be with your wonderful family....and when you are ready I would love to hear what your beautiful granddaughter wrote and read for her sweet grandfather!!
    Love and Hugs to you!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast