Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sheets for Backings $12 90x102 @Target! >

Sheets for Backings $12 90x102 @Target!

Sheets for Backings $12 90x102 @Target!

Old 09-04-2011, 05:24 AM

What a bargain!
Old 09-04-2011, 05:33 AM

I use sheets on most of my quilts, especially when i find them on clearance!
Old 09-04-2011, 06:26 AM

I have found that sheets need lots of washing before using as a backing and sometimes my machine doesn't like stitching through them.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by ruthie
I am a long arm quilter and I use sheets all the time. I use cotton, 200 or 250 count. I don't use a higher thread count as they do get pretty tightly woven.
I love the feel of a sheet on the back of a quilt. So cool and smooth.

Good to know and the price is right.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by M.I.Late
Just a heads up - I've heard some LAQ's don't like using sheets and some won't quilt them. Apparently they are too tightly woven and it makes it very difficult to quilt. ............
Hugs,
Gayle
I, too, have heard that -- however, I have a longarm and ALL my practicing is on sheets! I've never had a problem! I'm going to be buying sheets for MY backings!!!!!
Old 09-04-2011, 06:38 AM

I need to hit Target for some sheets. I was at the local fabric store yesterday . I love that I have a real fabric store to go to again not just the chain but Ouch. I really can't see buying fabric by the yard for the backing unless I 1. hit the lottery or 2. was going to enter a show. For the ones I am doing now, vintage scrappy quilts, sheets are just fine.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:49 AM

I was told that sheets are not good for backing and yet I know some older quilters who have used sheets for backing. Their advice was to buy the least expensive with lower thread count for easier quilting. I do all my own stippliing. Any suggestions. Thanks for the input. :-)
Old 09-04-2011, 07:05 AM

Well, I used good quality LQS fabric for the front but it's a couch quilt - not a heirloom by any means. I'm learning and practicing techniques so I can eventually get to those heirlooms. ;-)

For now, I will try these.

I will let you all know how this works out and how it washes. As a couch quilt we'll use it all winter and wash it plenty.

Originally Posted by quilterbabe
Alex Anderson said to NEVER use sheets for backing if you are using good quality fabric in the front of your quilt. The difference in quality alone will make it NOT wear well. After going to all the work on the front, why skimp on the back. There are plenty of sales on fabric out there to pick up large chunks for backing and still keep the quality of your quilt top. Of course if you used really cheap fabric on the quilt top, then I guess it doesn't matter because the whole thing will not wear well over time.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:08 AM

$14 for King.
I won't wrestle a king size quilt for a while so I stuck with queen.

I did look at Walmart but the 100% cotton sheets were $20 for double. I thought that wasn't a substantial savings over 108" wide backing from the LQS so I passed on them. They also didn't have a good hand feel, if that makes sense. The ones at Target pleased me much more.

Originally Posted by myreda
How much for a King Size? I need a sheet to catch the overspray when I am spray basting. I'm going to check this out today. Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-04-2011, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Lynn Luker
Walmart has single sheets too. Last time I bought one I saw teal, orange, green. Bright colors. I'm not sure if they were 100% cotton though. Price was about the same as Target's I think. Nice to know that Target has them too now!
I would wash them first especiallly the teal, and red ones. Those colors really bleed a lot.