Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sheets for Backings $12 90x102 @Target! >

Sheets for Backings $12 90x102 @Target!

Sheets for Backings $12 90x102 @Target!

Old 09-04-2011, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by quilterbabe
Alex Anderson said to NEVER use sheets for backing if you are using good quality fabric in the front of your quilt. The difference in quality alone will make it NOT wear well. After going to all the work on the front, why skimp on the back. There are plenty of sales on fabric out there to pick up large chunks for backing and still keep the quality of your quilt top. Of course if you used really cheap fabric on the quilt top, then I guess it doesn't matter because the whole thing will not wear well over time.
I heard that also---then thought about how many hundreds and hundreds of times a sheet is washed. The ones I have look great and are a couple of years old. And they were cheap.

Some designers, etc in the quilt world have a mission to support quilt shops and that is fine with me. However, if I can come up with something different and works for ME..I will use that.

I will check out Target next shopping trip there. thanks.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by M.I.Late
Just a heads up - I've heard some LAQ's don't like using sheets and some won't quilt them. Apparently they are too tightly woven and it makes it very difficult to quilt. I've never used one, but considered it. If you're going to send it to a LAQ I just suggest letting them know you want to use a sheet as a backing up front. Would hate to have it sent back or have the backing changed because of it. I don't LAQ so I don't have first hand knowledge of what problems is caused - but I have read that some will not use them. Just a heads up to avoid possible problems when time to send out for quilting. (And of course, this may not even apply to all sheets...)
Hugs,
Gayle
I'm a LAQ and I don't have any issues with sheets if they are quality sheets (Higher thread counts) I have used lower thread counts on my own quilts for kids. I don't anymore as they tend to get lil balls of cotton on them when washed, you know like when your sweater needs shaving because of the lil balls.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301
Originally Posted by quilterbabe
Alex Anderson said to NEVER use sheets for backing if you are using good quality fabric in the front of your quilt. The difference in quality alone will make it NOT wear well. After going to all the work on the front, why skimp on the back. There are plenty of sales on fabric out there to pick up large chunks for backing and still keep the quality of your quilt top. Of course if you used really cheap fabric on the quilt top, then I guess it doesn't matter because the whole thing will not wear well over time.
I heard that also---then thought about how many hundreds and hundreds of times a sheet is washed. The ones I have look great and are a couple of years old. And they were cheap.

Some designers, etc in the quilt world have a mission to support quilt shops and that is fine with me. However, if I can come up with something different and works for ME..I will use that.

I will check out Target next shopping trip there. thanks.
I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING. i DON'T BUY SHEETS VERY OFTEN AND THEY ARE WASHED ALL THE TIME AND LOOK GREAT. IN FACT ONE OF MY FIRST QUILTS I DID WITH A SHEET AND THAT WAS 20 YEARS AGO AND IT IS TIED AND STILL GOING.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:44 AM

I often use sheets for backing. The smaller the count the better. Wash, Wash, Wash first. The one thing I discovered is that the sheets are not always "bias" ready.
I rip by tearing all of the edges first to get the right bias. Press out the sides. Sometimes also need to finite edges with a rotary cutter. Have fun. I made a lot of large lap quilts, so usually buy the twin size, $5.00 at Wally World. :D
Old 09-04-2011, 07:59 AM

I used a sheet from Target for backing on my daughters wedding quilt in Oct. '07.....it worked out very well.
The LAQ told me to open all the seams and the top hem to give her more length ......I've been using sheets off and on for many years for backing and guess they work out ok.
I've only had the one quilt done by the LAQ.....I do my own on my home machine. Nothing fancy but it holds the quilts together
and I make lots of quilts for charity and gifts and orders from friends ......
If the color of the sheet is right I sometimes use them for quilt squares for a simple basic quilt.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:04 AM

IKEA also has a nice selection of cotton sheets.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:01 AM

Have never used sheets, been thinking of doing it, so now, I believe I will give it a try. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by M.I.Late
Just a heads up - I've heard some LAQ's don't like using sheets and some won't quilt them. Apparently they are too tightly woven and it makes it very difficult to quilt. I've never used one, but considered it. If you're going to send it to a LAQ I just suggest letting them know you want to use a sheet as a backing up front. Would hate to have it sent back or have the backing changed because of it. I don't LAQ so I don't have first hand knowledge of what problems is caused - but I have read that some will not use them. Just a heads up to avoid possible problems when time to send out for quilting. (And of course, this may not even apply to all sheets.
Gayle
I've heard that too
Old 09-04-2011, 09:38 AM

I've never used flat sheets for quilting, though I have heard of it.

We have a place here called Ollies, which is a close out place, they sells flat sheets for under $8 still new in the package. I can not tell you how many flat sheets they had. I went looking for fitted and the sheer number of flats was amazing.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by lauriejo
I am so glad you mentioned this, my son needs new curtains for his room. At 19 he is a little tired of the cartoons LOL. Since black is his favorite color, I told him I would make black curtains and using a sheet would be way cheaper.
I made three pair of bedroom curtains from some gorgeous purple twin sheets bought at WM a dozen years ago for $5 a piece and they've held up extremely well. All I had to do was made a casing and hang 'em up. :thumbup: