Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Shopping with DH  for fabric.  Do you take him along?  Why  or why not? >

Shopping with DH for fabric. Do you take him along? Why or why not?

Shopping with DH for fabric. Do you take him along? Why or why not?

Old 08-06-2011, 11:42 AM

I take mine with me. On the way home I "let" him drive home while I read my new books/patterns and play with my fabric. He may not know the way to the shops but he is more than ready to go home after he calculates what I have spent. I make it fun for him by stopping at a shop that is next door to a Harbor Freight. What a great idea a quilt shop next to a tool store!
Old 08-06-2011, 12:00 PM

I prefer not to shop with my husband. His idea of shopping is going into the store straight to the item he needs and leaves. I think this is because he didn't have much money for many years. The only time he will say anything about what I have spent is when I get up in the hundreds of dollars.

Besides I would rather go with a quilter or go by myself. I get stressed when someone is waiting for me. I have one girl friend that I love dearly but she goes with me to the store she takes a quick look and then goes out side to smoke. But it drives me crazy because I know she is waiting.

Besides he can be every critical of quilts that the points don't match. He has done some quilting so he knows they are suppose to match. But I am working on him to get him to keep his comments to himself.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:21 PM

Hah - try to get my hubby to a fabric shop??? I would sooner try to get my pet to the veterinarian's office or the groomer - he locks 'all fours' and no, I am not going!)"

We do have a trade off, though - - Hubby's favorite toy stores are Home Depot and Lowe's - - - and next to Lowe's is a Wal-mart that has fabric - and next to Home Depot is Craft Warehouse - so I get him to commit to what he is shopping for and then have him drop me off accordingly! Keeps us both happy. :-) And since I joined this Board, I have a new interest in his trips to HarborFreight (over which he laughs!)

Marysewfun
Old 08-06-2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Oh my.
I appears as though you have enough facing you to last a very long time!
Old 08-06-2011, 01:02 PM

I like to take my husband along as he has a great eye for color.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:17 PM

52 years married, and retired, we go everywhere together, but a lot of times he sits in the car and reads his latest novel while I go in and shop. If he gets tired, or too hot he will come in, thats when I know its time to wind it up!:)
Old 08-06-2011, 01:56 PM

No way! He is too impatient!
Old 08-06-2011, 02:29 PM

I often have DH with me, although he doesn't shop fabrics. He browses other areas of our large JoAnn store. He'll meet me at the cutting area later. Sometimes I go alone and then I'll pick up a FQ or two with my order, but I rarely spend more than about $15.00 at a time after coupons, so he trusts me to be frugal.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:10 PM

Up date! I know some of you are sadden to see a mess of fabric like in the picture. But trust me that isn't the worst I have 2 rooms I couldn't get into.! I use to be a neat freak and was told it will kill those I love unless I quit. Yes I find it hard to believe too. Tragic things happen and life pain one has to set priorities. I been told only 2% of women could go though what I did and come out on top.! Several doctors have had me to speak to groups to encourage them there is life beyond the pain. Yes I got through that nightmare I will get though this. In fact I cleared 16 boxes this week and gave away 7 boxes of stuff. With God's mighty Hand, I came though that mess I will get though this too. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 08-06-2011, 03:10 PM

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: