Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 105

Thread: Should Have Listened!

  1. #51
    Super Member Rose_P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Dallas area, Texas, USA
    Posts
    2,926
    A safe product to use is Gonzo odor eliminator for homes. It comes in a mesh bag that you can hang in a closet with the quilt. I got it at Bed, Bath and Beyond some years ago, and it worked well on a musty lamp shade, which I thought was hopeless. It comes with directions. I found it on Amazon just now. Cheap and lasts for years.

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Tx
    Posts
    856
    I am a smoker and I try hard but realize that the smell is on me and can transfer ot my fabrics. Before sending anything out that I can't wash first (fabric pieces to a friend) I package them in a baggie with a couple of fabric dryer sheets - lavander ones. Most have said they can't smell the smoke on it. On things I can wash - my washer and dryer are out in the garage - I still package them that way.

    I realize the smell - especially since I am around so many non smokers and so I do try - but I recognize that it doesn't always work and I apologize for my bad habit to the person!

  3. #53
    Junior Member seabolt22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    142
    I am a former smoker, my husband still smokes a pipe. I do not participate in swaps for this reason. Threads like this tend to delegate smokers and or their families to 2nd class citizen status. Especially when the go on and on. Do nonsmokers have no habits that offend others??? Use a little kindness toward each other. None of us are without faults.

  4. #54
    Super Member Wunder-Mar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,270
    If your weather's okay in Southwest Florida, hang it outside for an all-day airing.... Sunshine and fresh air beats fabric softener or Febreeze any day!

  5. #55
    Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    1,422
    Quote Originally Posted by seabolt22
    Do nonsmokers have no habits that offend others??? Use a little kindness toward each other. None of us are without faults.
    Offending is one thing, but causing a possible life-threatening asthma attack to another person is something else indeed!

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Tx
    Posts
    856
    Quote Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter
    Quote Originally Posted by seabolt22
    Do nonsmokers have no habits that offend others??? Use a little kindness toward each other. None of us are without faults.
    Offending is one thing, but causing a possible life-threatening asthma attack to another person is something else indeed!
    not arguing with anyone - this is a true question but can the smell of the smoke on clothes alone cause an asthma attack?

    I know that there are a lot of places I go - church; airports; and such where the perfumes are so heavy that I get a searing headache but I didn't think it could cause an asthma attack in and of itself??? If it does - are there other strong smells that can set it off?

  7. #57
    Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    1,422
    Quote Originally Posted by pamkasperi
    Quote Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter
    Quote Originally Posted by seabolt22
    Do nonsmokers have no habits that offend others??? Use a little kindness toward each other. None of us are without faults.
    Offending is one thing, but causing a possible life-threatening asthma attack to another person is something else indeed!
    not arguing with anyone - this is a true question but can the smell of the smoke on clothes alone cause an asthma attack?

    I know that there are a lot of places I go - church; airports; and such where the perfumes are so heavy that I get a searing headache but I didn't think it could cause an asthma attack in and of itself??? If it does - are there other strong smells that can set it off?
    It sure can for me! As well as perfume, deodorant, hairspray, any household cleaning supplies, smell of some flowers, freshly cut grass, campfire smoke, and many other things. It doesn't even have to be a "strong" smell. Sometimes even a small whiff is enough to trigger an asthma attack.

    I have had to go find another line in a grocery store if I catch just the hint of an odor of smoke or perfume on the person in front of me.

    Sorry, I did not mean to sound argumentative either.

  8. #58
    Super Member thepolyparrot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    2,038
    I'm a smoker who actually hates the smell of tobacco. We don't smoke in our house because we don't like the way a house can reek from it.

    From the times that I've managed to quit, I know that smokers smell like cigarettes just from going outside for a smoke break, so I'm very conscious of how I smell. The other day, the doctor said to me, "So you're still smoking, hm?" Of course, he smelled it on me - which I can't do, any more.

    I hesitate to participate in swaps, as well. Even though I don't smoke in the house or around my fabrics, the odor can transfer from my clothes to the fabric I'm handling and if someone is really sensitive to it, they'll be upset with me.

    I don't think anyone hates smokers - that would be silly, like hating fat people or people who drive SUV's. :mrgreen:

    It's our habit that they don't like. Try not to be offended - it's not you, it's just the odor they don't like. I'm sure that you wouldn't intentionally inflict that nasty smell on anyone, but we don't even know it's there. It smells okay to us! :)

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Tx
    Posts
    856
    Quote Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter
    Quote Originally Posted by pamkasperi
    Quote Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter
    Quote Originally Posted by seabolt22
    Do nonsmokers have no habits that offend others??? Use a little kindness toward each other. None of us are without faults.
    Offending is one thing, but causing a possible life-threatening asthma attack to another person is something else indeed!
    not arguing with anyone - this is a true question but can the smell of the smoke on clothes alone cause an asthma attack?

    I know that there are a lot of places I go - church; airports; and such where the perfumes are so heavy that I get a searing headache but I didn't think it could cause an asthma attack in and of itself??? If it does - are there other strong smells that can set it off?
    It sure can for me! As well as perfume, deodorant, hairspray, any household cleaning supplies, smell of some flowers, freshly cut grass, campfire smoke, and many other things. It doesn't even have to be a "strong" smell. Sometimes even a small whiff is enough to trigger an asthma attack.

    I have had to go find another line in a grocery store if I catch just the hint of an odor of smoke or perfume on the person in front of me.

    Sorry, I did not mean to sound argumentative either.
    didn't sound argumentative to me - I didn't know that smells themselves could trigger....thanks for that information...

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    1
    my postal carrier smokes in her truck....I have made complaint after complaint, and told to suck it up....I have a business that deals in fabric...I get envelopes filled with fabric all the time...and if you think it is hard to get the odor out of cotton, try getting it out of ultrasuede...it aint easy...at all...

  11. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by pamkasperi
    Quote Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter
    Quote Originally Posted by seabolt22
    Do nonsmokers have no habits that offend others??? Use a little kindness toward each other. None of us are without faults.
    Offending is one thing, but causing a possible life-threatening asthma attack to another person is something else indeed!
    not arguing with anyone - this is a true question but can the smell of the smoke on clothes alone cause an asthma attack?

    I know that there are a lot of places I go - church; airports; and such where the perfumes are so heavy that I get a searing headache but I didn't think it could cause an asthma attack in and of itself??? If it does - are there other strong smells that can set it off?
    it also can trigger migrains...severe migrains...

  12. #62

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    23
    I would spray it with OdaBan and put in the dryer on air fluff. OdaBan can be purchased at Sams Wholesale.

  13. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Tx
    Posts
    856
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    my postal carrier smokes in her truck....I have made complaint after complaint, and told to suck it up....I have a business that deals in fabric...I get envelopes filled with fabric all the time...and if you think it is hard to get the odor out of cotton, try getting it out of ultrasuede...it aint easy...at all...
    Ok - I would have issues with that and I'm a smoker...

  14. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Livonia, MI near Detroit
    Posts
    784
    I know this can be a very emotional issue. In my opinion, the quilter should have mentioned she smoked in her advertising so the person wanting the work done had total knowledge of the situation so she could have made an informed choice. My BIL smokes and when he comes to our house, he goes outside to smoke. However, when he comes back in, he just brings the smell with him and transfers it to the furniture. For those us us who are really sensitive, even this little bit can be a problem. Febreeze works only to a degree. For me, when I get around perfume or smoke, my throat closes up. It becomes a medical issue. I try not to treat anyone like a second-class citizen but when it comes to my health, I have enough problems without adding anything else. I do miss the smell of my dad's pipe. Blessings to all.

  15. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by pamkasperi
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    my postal carrier smokes in her truck....I have made complaint after complaint, and told to suck it up....I have a business that deals in fabric...I get envelopes filled with fabric all the time...and if you think it is hard to get the odor out of cotton, try getting it out of ultrasuede...it aint easy...at all...
    Ok - I would have issues with that and I'm a smoker...
    tell me, my argument is why is she allowed to smoke in a GOV vehicle? It is against the law? When my last $500 order of ultrasuede came and it smelled so bad I could not have it in my house, I took it down the postmaster and threw on it his desk....he gagged...I told him, I am the END of her route, and this is an issue as I can not sell that to anyone. I can't even have it in my office....

    I think that must have worked, she was gone for about a month and now I don't notice anything...except that she is really packing on the pounds....hehehehe

  16. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Kentucky Wildcat Country Go Big Blue
    Posts
    816
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Evy
    Not long ago I posted requesting advice on finding a longarm quilter to complete a couple quilt tops. Among the advice I received was "make sure they are a non-smoker". I didn't follow that advice. Well, I got my quilts back today and even the carton they were in reeked of cigarette smoke. The quilting job is OK, DH says I'm too picky, but I'm not sure I'll use this lady again. Depends on how hard it is to get the smell out. If it ever stops raining, I'll hang them over the railing on the deck and let the sunshine do it's part. I'll have to keep looking! And asking questions next time.
    If you don't want to wash the quilt, try wetting a towel in strong vinegar water and place quilt and towel in the dryer on air fluff (no heat). It may work and may not. I do use vinegar for dissolving odors in the house, especially when I have fried fish. Just pour about a half cup in a small dish and sit on the counter top and that's it. It works. I hope you get it out. I hate stale smoke as bad as anybody.

    sassy granny

  17. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Livonia, MI near Detroit
    Posts
    784
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by pamkasperi
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    my postal carrier smokes in her truck....I have made complaint after complaint, and told to suck it up....I have a business that deals in fabric...I get envelopes filled with fabric all the time...and if you think it is hard to get the odor out of cotton, try getting it out of ultrasuede...it aint easy...at all...
    Ok - I would have issues with that and I'm a smoker...
    tell me, my argument is why is she allowed to smoke in a GOV vehicle? It is against the law? When my last $500 order of ultrasuede came and it smelled so bad I could not have it in my house, I took it down the postmaster and threw on it his desk....he gagged...I told him, I am the END of her route, and this is an issue as I can not sell that to anyone. I can't even have it in my office....

    I think that must have worked, she was gone for about a month and now I don't notice anything...except that she is really packing on the pounds....hehehehe
    What happened w/your UltraSuede order? I can't imagine the US Gov paid you for it. This is just unbelievable but if you look at the situation in a positive way, you were instrumental in changing this persons life for the better. She will be much healthier now.

  18. #68
    Super Member DogHouseMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Knot Merrill, Southern Indiana
    Posts
    5,805
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    tell me, my argument is why is she allowed to smoke in a GOV vehicle? It is against the law?
    Do they still have Govt owned postal vehicles there? Here where I live their all personal automobiles that they've had to convert to have pedals on the right but they still steer from the left with one hand (which I think is insane and dangerous - but I'm not fighting city hall).

  19. #69
    Super Member ginnie6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,315
    put the quilt in a large trash bag and wrap a bar of soap in a washcloth and put in there. close the bag up for a week and then check it. I got some fabric scraps off freecycle and by the time we got them home we were all gasping from the smoke smell. They were too small to wash and this worked.

  20. #70
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,656
    Blog Entries
    2
    The mail carrier uses personal vehicles here too but I think they may be contract workers not federal employees? But still they are in charge of federal mail so there should be something against them smoking around the mail being delivered. I would be waiting for the carrier if my packages arrived smelling like that with a bill either for cleaning or Dr. visit. And back it up with a copy of the letters I would be sending to anyone connected to the PO and to my lawyer. Then I would get a PO box because a person that has no respect to smoke around other's belongings would not be passed losing a piece of important mail that you need.

  21. #71
    Senior Member GlitzyMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Boston - Orlando
    Posts
    469
    Put it in the washer with a healthy dose (a pint or so) of white vinegar. You may have to do this a couple times then put it thru a cycle with gentle detergent.
    And definitely find a non-smoker next time. :-)

  22. #72
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    911
    When I started my quilting business, I had to chase the smokers outside and subsequently one moved away from home and the other one quit, so now my home is smoke free.

    It's like my sister said about having customer's quilts in the house - "the smoke doesn't know where to go, so it ends up in the quilts too."

    When I come home from the local casino, the smell on my clothes almost makes me sick and very thankful that I have been a nonsmoker for almost thirty years.

  23. #73
    Junior Member Silver Sandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Fort Mohave, Az
    Posts
    117
    Blog Entries
    1
    Amonnia is sold in the grocery store, Walmart or K Mart

  24. #74
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Suring, Wisconsin
    Posts
    15,225
    Good luck with your quilt.

  25. #75
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Phenix City, Alabama
    Posts
    892
    i still smoke. hate it, and no i don't notice the smell. tried to quit before and its about impossible. but smoking has really been bugging me lately. i really want to quit. going to order one of those electric fake cigerettes and see if that works. my nephew swears by it so maybe it will for me too.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.