Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I baste instead >

Should I baste instead

Should I baste instead

Old 09-18-2013, 04:07 AM

Default Should I baste instead

I'm in the process of sandwiching a Q size quilt (80x103) using a 2x4 table. I laid my backing down, clamped it on all sides and made sure it was taut. I then laid the batting down which was very soft and pliable (not stiff from being in the package) and then the top and pulled it taut and reclamped. I then started pinning. Each churn dash square is 12". Each square is pinned with 9 quilting #3 pens. When I turn the quilt over to look at the back, it's all "puffy". Would it be better to baste each square (from corner to corner and then length and width)? I'm going to hand quilt which I've done several times already but for some reason this one is giving me a "fit". HELP!!!!
Old 09-18-2013, 04:11 AM
Power Poster

If you are going to hand quilt, I won't worry about it unless you had actual wrinkles in the back. If you start hand quilting in the middle and keep moving the hoop outwards, the fullness should progress to the edge. If you are not using a hoop that holds all the layers taut for hand quilting, then I would fix the sandwich.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If you are going to hand quilt, I won't worry about it unless you had actual wrinkles in the back. If you start hand quilting in the middle and keep moving the hoop outwards, the fullness should progress to the edge. If you are not using a hoop that holds all the layers taut for hand quilting, then I would fix the sandwich.
I don't use a hoop or frame--just my lap.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:37 AM

Do you still start from the middle? If so, I would think you would be fine.... Have you ever tried basting spray? I find that works well.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:47 AM

Yes, I always start quilting from the middle.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:49 AM

I, too, sometimes use no hoop/frame to do my handquilting. Did you start your sandwiching in the middle of the quilt? Is your batting a 'high loft' batting that would account for the puffy look on the back? I should think you would still be okay as long as you can smooth as you go (when you are quilting, that is) and have no puckers/folds.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I, too, sometimes use no hoop/frame to do my handquilting. Did you start your sandwiching in the middle of the quilt? Is your batting a 'high loft' batting that would account for the puffy look on the back? I should think you would still be okay as long as you can smooth as you go (when you are quilting, that is) and have no puckers/folds.
I'm using wool batting. Love the way it hand quilts!!
Old 09-18-2013, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

Just proceed as you did with the last largest quilt you did. Often if you just stick to the same procedure as you did before, you're much better off.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:49 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by teddysmom View Post
I'm in the process of sandwiching a Q size quilt (80x103) using a 2x4 table. I laid my backing down, clamped it on all sides and made sure it was taut. I then laid the batting down which was very soft and pliable (not stiff from being in the package) and then the top and pulled it taut and reclamped. I then started pinning. Each churn dash square is 12". Each square is pinned with 9 quilting #3 pens. When I turn the quilt over to look at the back, it's all "puffy". Would it be better to baste each square (from corner to corner and then length and width)? I'm going to hand quilt which I've done several times already but for some reason this one is giving me a "fit". HELP!!!!
I caught one word from your post that may be the clue to your "puffy" problem....TAUT.

When layering your quilt for basting and using clamps, try to avoid pulling the top and backing TAUT, but just smooth and straight enough to allow the fabric to lie flat. When you pull these layers TAUT, the fabric then tries to relax back into its normal tension/shape when you remove the clamps....and that causes the puckering, or "puffy" look on the back.

No matter how you baste, there will be a "bit" of "puffy" or relaxation between the pins, that's the nature of the fabric. As stated by others, it does usually "quilt out".

Jan in VA
Old 09-18-2013, 09:07 AM

Agree with Jan 100%. I never pull the backing/batting/top "taut".