Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I buy a long arm? >

Should I buy a long arm?

Should I buy a long arm?

Old 03-12-2019, 03:33 PM

Question Should I buy a long arm?

I think I am going insane. I am actually seriously considering spending multiple thousands of dollars on a long arm quilting machine. What are some things y'all wish you would have known before buying your long arm machines? I would be doing quilting for only myself, not as a business. I don't like wrestling fabric through the throat of the regular sewing machines. Therefore I think a long arm would be easier. I've tried a long arm at a quilt show a couple of years ago and it felt very zen. The computerized machines with the automatic quilting sound phenominal but I couldn't buy any of those new. I don't want to settle for something less than what I want and then not use it because it's not meeting my need but don't want to spend more $ than I actually need to. I'm just starting to research longarm machines and there looks like a steal of a deal on Craigslist- an innova 22 pantograph for $12,500. I don't want my cheapskate ways to put me in a bind- and buy something just because it's on sale even if it's not what I want. Any advice????
Old 03-12-2019, 03:41 PM
Power Poster

I bought an Innova 26" about 9 or 10 years ago. Two years ago I upgraded to Lightning Stitch and some of the other options that weren't available when I purchased my machine. I don't know if the Innova 22" on craigslist is a good deal or not. It would depend on which stitch regulator it has, how old the machine is, what condition, etc.. But I do love the Innova brand. I quilt only for myself, and occasionally for friends, and I'm glad I have a longarm to do it.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:49 PM
Power Poster

I am in similar but different dilemma. I don’t want a long arm. I am considering a sit down mid arm. I have tried a lot of them. Can’t decide.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:00 PM

sounds like you've checked off the first thing on your list--trying out machines at a show so you know whether you like moving the machine vs. moving the quilt. What else to know? 1) do you have the space for a frame? they need walk around space to be functional without moving the frame(which would take locking casters--very handy). 2) can you afford this machine ? I was told by a Gammill rep (while working on my machine) 2 yrs ago that it's getting harder to make a living/pay off machines by quilting for others because of DSM with rulers, sit down machines, and mid-arm machines---I would agree with this statement. But you've indicated you would use it for your own quilts and friends--so sounds like you've checked this off too. What else? My Gammill bought used is a 28" harp on a 14' frame. The length of the harp is really not comfortable for me to quilt custom (which is mostly what I do) so I could have used a smaller harp easily. Also, while I sometimes get client quilts that the 14' frame is handy, those are few and far between--so a 12' frame would have been fine. I got a steal on the price of the set-up, all her rulers, all her thread, parts, needles, 100 bobbins, 4 bobbin cases, all her design books, etc. I definitely recommend a stitch regulator and I'd check to see if the machine is capable of accepting a robotic guided system (whether Innova, Butler, etc) in case you'd ever want to add that at a later date. I love long arm quilting and don't regret spending what I consider big bucks for it--but then I used money I inherited so didn't have to borrow,which I'm not sure I would have done.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:19 PM

Depends on where you are. There are a lot of them for sale. One site and of course I can't think of the name of it ......has a lot of them listed. I do not think your deal sounded like a steal. Marcia
Old 03-12-2019, 04:26 PM

www:[email protected] or some combinatoin of those words.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:30 PM

I've never regretted buying a longarm myself (Pfaff P3 with an 18 inch throat). While it's on the small side as far as longarms go, I love it! I wanted to do the whole quilt from start to finish and love the results I can get with the longarm. While I quilt only for myself, I have had a friend or two come over and I've helped them quilt one of their quilts. I do this on a very limited basis, and don't advertise that I do so. I don't want to feel compelled to offer this to anyone/everyone who knows me. I have also been working with my step daughter who is a phenomenal piecer to teach her how to longarm her quilts on my machine. While she is very appreciative, I find that nerve wracking to say the least as she is the type of person who becomes an instant authority once she has a bit of experience with something. So she will argue or disregard my instructions so that I feel I cannot leave her alone for a minute in case she does something. There is no dealer nearby now and I am afraid that she may inadvertently due something that will damage my machine and then I'll have to figure out how to find someone to fix it - which would likely involve shipping it somewhere.... my husband and I can do the basic servicing and he can even retime it if needed but anything other than that would need the technician to do it.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:39 PM

I can relate to your situation. About 12 years ago I had an opportunity to buy a used longarm machine and I did. I quilted for myself and a few friends and stayed as busy as I wanted to be. In 2016 that machine broke down and needed servicing and parts but the company had long ago gone out of business and I had a huge decision to make. Do I spend enough for a car on a new machine or do as I did before I had a machine pay someone else to quilt for me. After much thought and figuring I realized that I had to have a new machine. I decided to get an Innova 22 with Lightning Stitch and it was a great decision. I love that machine. Several reasons for choosing the Innova: dealer close by, great reviews from other quilters, and a great resale value. I wish you well in your decision.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:44 PM

Do you live close to a Quilt Show (as in Paducah, KY, coming up in April) - they have every brand of machine in those quilt shows for you to try out.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
Do you live close to a Quilt Show (as in Paducah, KY, coming up in April) - they have every brand of machine in those quilt shows for you to try out.

No I don't. There is a Baby Lock dealer nearby but I would have to drive several hours to get to any other dealer.