Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I buy this??? >

Should I buy this???

Should I buy this???

Old 04-27-2010, 10:23 PM

Good Grief! This is only wood, which is easy to work with.

Hunt up a good carpenter who needs a job and talk with him
or her, and get him/her to make you what YOU want. I'll bet
that it will run far less than this one, nearly seven HUNDRED!

Or, do you know anything about wood working? Or does hubby?
Family members?

Try second hand stores and auctions and Estate sales before
laying out such a sum. Let us know what you finally decide to
do and what you ended up with.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:33 AM

I bought a wooden dining room table at a yard sale for $20. My hubby cut the legs down to the right height for me, then cut a hole in the table, built a drop down shelf where the machine sits and TADA I have a nice big sewing machine /work table!

Also, if you look in the Keepsake Quilting catalog, you can buy plans for a nice cabinet for only $15 and its fantastic!

Good luck~!
Diane in Maine
Old 04-28-2010, 05:58 AM

I went to Office Depot and they had the 6ft tables with a drop down for a computer. They are wonderful.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:45 AM

my son took an old libary table and cut a place for the machine and the add on that comes with most machines now, covers the hole and I have lots of space. He is also a farmer and most of them are good handy men. good luck on getting it soon. /I really love mine.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:46 AM

which is more important to you? looks or size? if you want size at a good price, go to cosco, home depot, etc and get one of those large, plastic tables with folding legs. have hubby (or someone) hang a shelf under a cut-out hole wherever you want it to be, the shelf will hold your machine and you'll have a b-i-i-i-g workspace at the lowest price. you can get those plastic drawer/bins on wheels and roll them right under the table for storage.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:51 AM

I have a Silva table, got it on sale at our sewing machine center. They change out new tables every year and the old ones go on sale. The thing I like most about it is 1) your machine doesn't shimmy or shake up a storm while sewing 2) the side and back folds down to compact it if needed. Most the time I leave the side up for all the work space it gives me, really like the space 3) it has an auto lift in it and a clear shield so you can see while putting your bobbins in without having to bring your machine up to the top 4) it has storage on the one side (although I would like more) 5) I got it for about the same price as the one you have been looking for.

The deals are out there, it is just time before you find the right one for you...keep looking until you find all the things you like in a sewing table.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:27 AM

I think it is priced too high. I have looked at other tables from Joann's and then looked at the comments...Many times the responders say that the item is not sturdy enough. Also it does not look like you have much space on top. You might be better off buying something you can actually see and feel not from a picture.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:12 AM

I haven't read through all the replys, so may be repeating someone else's answer. How about a Sew Ezi table? The machine will sit flush, you will sit in front of your needle, it is portable if you need to take it somewhere, and it folds flat so is easily stored. The cost for the table is $250 (plus shipping) and you can get the insert for different machines.

http://www.seweziusa.com/
Old 04-29-2010, 12:32 PM

I just found out a problem my machine has-won't sit flat. It's held up on hinges and a little ledge. From what I was told, there is no insert for this.

It was suggested:
a. get a table or desk and cut it or have one made personally.
b. buy a new machine to fits with inserts: he suggested Janome Threadbanger TB12 (reviews are very good) for $199....

My machine is fine, nothing fancy at all. Better look for that old desk or table!
Old 04-29-2010, 12:37 PM

My 2 cents, for that much money look into the more popular ones; Horn I think is one of them.

I would keep looking and reuse/recycle something will come along :)