Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I change colors >

Should I change colors

Should I change colors

Old 10-17-2013, 12:10 PM

really beautiful colors!! I agree with those who mentioned the borders seem to be to busy. but then I look at it again and the same blocks stacked in rows seem to not work right.. I wonder if arranging them every other block different then starting with a different one at the beginning of the row might take that feeling that something is not right away.
When I just glance at the picture.. I get an impression that the 3rd block is longer than the 2 before it. I know they are the same but the optical allusion seems to make it look that way.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:59 PM
Power Poster

I think it's a beautiful quilt, and I would leave it as shown.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:23 PM

If it were mine, I might put a frame around each window section, in the narrow black to set them off a little more. That might also make the background come alive. Just thinking to me, but I like all of the other ideas also. Be sure to post it so we can ooh and ahh.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:35 PM

Very Beautiful!!
Old 10-17-2013, 08:06 PM

I, too would drop the cornerstones & then use a black sashing around the beautiful blocks. Also a two inch border around the whole thing & then a wider border of the background fabric around the whole thing. I think that would really make your blocks pop.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:37 PM

I don't like the border you have either--too busy. plain would be better with the yellow border and a yellow binding and just the luminous yellow. dropping the cornerstones also would be better. make sure you show us what you decide. I like the arrangement you have--looks like stained glass windows. maybe make it 108 x 108 and widen the rectangles a little more. will be gorgeous looking no matter what you decide. I don't have enough ambition to design one like that altho I like it.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:00 AM

This is THE most beautiful thing I've ever seen! So rich! So colorful! So -- well, if you don't like it, send it to me! :-)
Old 10-18-2013, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I think the issue is you don't have enough change in value. It appears most of your colors fall into the same value range (medium). You have no lights no darks. I agree with the poster on the background fabric. In and of itself, it is beautiful but it does not make your panels sparkle like they could with a solid background. I would audition black, a dark charcoal gray, dark blue or go in the exteme opposite direction with a light. Such as cream, beige, light gray.

Here, I have attempted to insert your design in gray scale so you can better see what I am saying
[ATTACH=CONFIG]441725[/ATTACH]

I hate solids, any color. But there are blenders that don't have a lot of pattern, even in blacks and charcoal grays.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:01 AM

I think you should add a small "orange" inner border. the same color as the cornerstones. and then the outer border. I do not think the outer border is too busy. I think it actually tones downs the inner blocks so they are not too loud. Love the colors of the quilt!

Last edited by bigsister63; 10-19-2013 at 06:05 AM.