Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I just give up?!?!?!? >

Should I just give up?!?!?!?

Should I just give up?!?!?!?

Old 09-04-2011, 05:28 AM

I spent a couple of hours last night ripping out seams. It wasn't bad. Kind of Zen, actually. I had the TV on in the background, and I just worked my way through, one inch at a time. It'll be fine!
Old 09-04-2011, 05:39 AM

So are you FMQ on a reg sewing machine or on a longarm?
I never did like fmq on the reg sewing machine, I got me a longarm and now I love fmg. I just could never train my brain to move the fabric. But it came easy to me to move the machine, just saying never give up. Just have fun with it. You will find your nitch as I did.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by CoolJulUtah
I am VERY new to this whole quilt thing and figured it is something I would love to do. My first quilt was a Yellow Brick Road lap quilt in patriotic colors and I LOVE it! I had it professionally quilted and it's awesome! I made a couple of others and they turned out great, too! So I'm a quilter, right??? Not so. I decided for my next quilt I'd make one for my grandson. I tried to do the meandering by myself. IT LOOKS AWFUL!!! There are no nice round corners and there is WAY too much in each block. I did so much meandering (if you could call it that) in the blocks that it would take FOREVER to unpick!!! I can't just have all my work on the quilt top go to waste though. Would you be able to tell if I unpicked it and started over? Would you be able to see all the holes the needle made? Sorry this is so long . . . I'm just at a loss at what to do! My heart is sad. :o(
Don't Stop, Don't Give Up. Check out this video clip I came across, it just fits your situation. I'ts comes on right after a little commercial. I hope I am allowed to put this on. http://thebubble.msn.com/video/?id=9...0-349396073dcd
Old 09-04-2011, 06:11 AM
Swap Hosts

If it were me, I'd just leave it. At some point you may get to like it. If not, years from now it will be a reminder of just how far you've come!
Old 09-04-2011, 06:20 AM

Relax............ all is good. and I myself have worn out a seam ripper to two ok well three and I have not been quilting that long..... just helped mom unpick one of hers as well............
Old 09-04-2011, 06:24 AM

I have several seam rippers. I hav learned to just relax and rip away. I am practicing meandering or stipple on my machine with pot holders and placemats. Dont give up, you will snicker about this later.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:25 AM

It is important to breathe when free motion quilting. It took me a lap quilt to even get started to be able to do it. Also gloves and a slippery surface help a lot.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:25 AM

Don't beat yourself up. ALL of us (and I do mean ALL) had to learn by making mistakes. Even those who have been quilting for years and years, still have to "unsew" on occasion. FMQ takes LOTS of practice. You'll get better, but not if you give up.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:29 AM

Well, you gave it a try and did it! Yeah for you. I would say keep it the it is. Bind it, wash it and you won't believe the difference that makes. Your grandson will love it. The next one will be better. Just bind it, wash it and call it done. Move on to the next one! Good job to jump in and do it. Don't beat yourself up for what you say isn't perfect. ;-)
Old 09-04-2011, 06:37 AM

Don't give up! I've been quilting for a few years now but I usually send my quilt to a LA. I'll FM on small projects but send the larger ones off. I'm newly retired so I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and do more quilts myself. A friend of mine who teaches FM told me to have a busy print as your backing (hides mistakes). Adjust your tension on a sample before you start. Make sure your quilt is supported so the weight of the quilt doesn't pull. And to relax! Listen to an audio book or a CD