Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I just give up?!?!?!? >

Should I just give up?!?!?!?

Should I just give up?!?!?!?

Old 09-04-2011, 07:01 AM

I know your pain my seam ripper is my best friend!
Old 09-04-2011, 07:09 AM

Good luck and remember Seam Rippers are the greatest
invention. What would we do without them.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:34 AM

Run it by a friend or two, or wait a month or two, and see what sort of reaction happens. A lot of us quilt our own quilts instead of have a professional do them and they may be a shade less perfect because of that. I've never sent one out; just want to do it myself (I'm not a perfectionist... would have to give up quilting if I were).

Or give that one to a church blanket drive or to Good Will (there will be a delighted someone who isn't as critical as a quilter can be ... especially of ones own work) and make a new one. If it is a baby quilt it won't take gallons of fabric.

Also, I know that the fashion is LOTS of quilting within a quilt, but be aware that for a baby quilt, especially, less quilting means a softer, more cuddly quilt. At quilt shows I've seen quilting that blows me away it is so beautiful, but I think of many of them to be quilted so much they are really more for show than for using. And that's alright, but it's not what you are doing right now.

I always try to enhance the design of a quilt, which may mean SID sometimes, but often it can be, especially with children's quilts, outlining to made features pop out, or simply putting a heart or a star or an animal outline within a simpler block. Somethng to be discovered someday.

You ARE a quilter!!! We come in all shapes, genders and ages and with different tastes and certainly different skills. HAPPY SEWING!
Old 09-04-2011, 08:34 AM

You are a quilter! FMQ is tough. I've read articles that say how "liberating" it is, well it may well be; but I'm going to be doing a lot more practice projects before I try a full size quilt. My seam ripper is never, I mean never, out of sight. Just pick a time when you are calm and undo it, all will be well. Don't beat yourself up, this is how we learn.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:35 AM

Ooops, hit send two times.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:47 AM
pal

If you're going to "undo" try this. From the back side snip your threads here and there with your seam ripper,maybe every 6 inches or so. Then go back and lift up a few stitches so that you can grab the thread and pull!

Then go to the front of the quilt and remove all of the excess thread. Go to the back and repeat. That thread is going to be all gone before you know it.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:08 AM

No, don't give up. Like everyone will tell you, practice, practice, and more practice. It really will get easier.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:16 AM

Don't rip it out! I agree with others that you should finish it and move on. Make another one and see how you improve. Your grandson will not know the difference.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:40 AM

now thats what I'm talking about, that was a cute little "don't give up" bubble. ueah I needed that too! thanks Grandma Judy!

also if any is interested, a song, from a group, and sorry I don't know them, but if anyone caught startrek enterprise, the song states our beliefs, I have faith to reach that star no matter, anyway not going to qui=ote it, itds been running through my mind this mornine.
I can do anything, I have strength to believe they aren't going to bend me or break me, I have faith to reach that star.... and so on

Just remember we go through things to make us grow. that little clip said it all, don't give up and that is so true

You can do it!! I am going to go all the way with this and get better at these quilts and bindings! "I have faith to believe I can do anything!!"
Old 09-04-2011, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Furza Flyin
Deep breath....deep breath.... It will all be ok. If you dont have to un-sew you are not a real quilter :) . We all make mistakes and dont like something we do. So, take a step back and try again. When you are learning something new. Alway use scraps to practice on first. Even if it is a new block. HUGS! Meet your new friend the seam ripper...
Smiles! I like your advice, Furza!