Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I just give up?!?!?!? >

Should I just give up?!?!?!?

Should I just give up?!?!?!?

Old 09-04-2011, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
How old is the grandson? Will he even know the difference? If not, I would just finish up the quilt, give it to him with love, and then practice FMQ on some quilt sandwiches.
I agree! Your grandson will love that quilt, just because you made it! Do an easy, fast binding, wash it & it will soften. I'll be you carefully picked his favorite fabric, colors, & so on. & go on from here.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:07 AM

How old is the grandson? Will he even know the difference? If not, I would just finish up the quilt, give it to him with love, and then practice FMQ on some quilt sandwiches.
I agree! I'll bet you very carefully chose the fabric, so it was just what he liked, his favorite colors & all. Put a simple, easy binding on it, wash it to soften it up & go on from here!

I'll bet he will love it!
Old 09-04-2011, 11:12 AM

I use my mistakes as doggy blankets, and they love to sleep on them, and they are easy to wash..just toss in the machine....how sweet, I made beds for my dogs.....
Old 09-04-2011, 11:17 AM

I want to thank everyone for the great comments you made! I am going to unpick the stitches and try again - after I practice on something smaller! Thanks for giving me the desire to continue! :o)
Old 09-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

Don't give up, this from someone who has only done FMQ on a long arm but took a class for it. The instructor had us take a large piece of scrap paper and then doodle what we would like to do for meandering, but to practice on paper first. Hope that helps, but never give up, you will only get better the more you do.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:42 AM

Ha!
Old 09-04-2011, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma Judi
Originally Posted by CoolJulUtah
I am VERY new to this whole quilt thing and figured it is something I would love to do. My first quilt was a Yellow Brick Road lap quilt in patriotic colors and I LOVE it! I had it professionally quilted and it's awesome! I made a couple of others and they turned out great, too! So I'm a quilter, right??? Not so. I decided for my next quilt I'd make one for my grandson. I tried to do the meandering by myself. IT LOOKS AWFUL!!! There are no nice round corners and there is WAY too much in each block. I did so much meandering (if you could call it that) in the blocks that it would take FOREVER to unpick!!! I can't just have all my work on the quilt top go to waste though. Would you be able to tell if I unpicked it and started over? Would you be able to see all the holes the needle made? Sorry this is so long . . . I'm just at a loss at what to do! My heart is sad. :o(
Don't Stop, Don't Give Up. Check out this video clip I came across, it just fits your situation. I'ts comes on right after a little commercial. I hope I am allowed to put this on. http://thebubble.msn.com/video/?id=9...0-349396073dcd
I love this video clip!!! I'm going to keep it right by side while I unpick this quilt!!! Thanks!!! :o)
Old 09-04-2011, 11:49 AM

My grandson will be one on September 27. I want to finish this for his birthday so I better get busy un-sewing! :o)
Old 09-04-2011, 12:40 PM

Some one may already have said this, but how old is your grandson? Is he 5 or 6? Will he make a fort out of this, drag it around outdoors, play hard with it? If the answer is yes to all of these, I'd think about giving it to him as is. It is the love that it comes with that will be the most important thing. If he's older than that, he won't care how the fmq is - he'll just be glad you gave it to him. You can always make another for him in the future.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:47 PM

Sorry, CoolJulUtah, I just read your previous post. I think my thoughts are the same. Is this to be displayed, such as hung on the wall of his room, or will he be giving it heavy use. If it is the latter he is going to wear it out hopefully doing the things I have mentioned above. You can always make a second quilt for him and you will see how you improved right there. This one could be his Grandma loves me and doesn't care what I do with this quilt, quilt. I am no expert fmq er but from one grandmother to another - my grand daughters never thought more of a quilt with expert fmq ing than my awkward attempts.