Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I just give up?!?!?!? >

Should I just give up?!?!?!?

Should I just give up?!?!?!?

Old 09-04-2011, 01:25 PM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

picking one out for the last week. finally got it done and now I will quilt a crosshatch on it and throw it in the laundry and hope all those stinkin holes disappear! lol. my seam ripper is always close by
Old 09-04-2011, 01:31 PM

I say give it to him and make him another if it bothers you that much. I hate ripping, and would rather start something ! hang in there-
Old 09-04-2011, 01:49 PM

And I think the word "Grandson" is key. He is going to love it and he will never know the quilting doesn't match your standards. So if I had a quilt and didn't want to unpick a bunch of sewing, grandsons are the perfect recipients. In fact, later on you can tell him it was your very first machine quilted one, just for him! So your options are picking or giving, but not giving up!
Old 09-04-2011, 01:52 PM

I think someone said to spray vinegar on the thread holes and that would close them up
Old 09-04-2011, 01:53 PM

CHEER UP--

i once took a quilting class from a woman whose work
looked as though she let a child loose on the fabric...

can't be THAT BAD!!!
Old 09-04-2011, 02:17 PM

I have several really good friends - a seam ripper and a small pair of snipping scissors... I just had to rrrrrrrrrrrrrrip out some fm writing yesterday... about three times. It's one of the easiest skills I've pick up yet... I was hoping for other skills I liked better, but it all helps in the long run.

You're gonna be okay... :-D
Old 09-04-2011, 02:28 PM

Don't you dare rip it! We all have quilts in our past that we aren't proud of, but we live with them. I have several from my days as a beginner and I call them my "Keep Me Humble Quilts" - in case I every get a big head or think too much of myself and my skill:>)
I store these quilts in a closet where I keep toys and books for grandkids visits. They know the story of Nana's Keep Me Humble Quilts and when they're camping under the dining room table, watching TV, or just cuddling up on the sofa -they make a B-line for the closet to get the quilts. This is the second generation of these quilts (their parents grew up with them too.
They've held up very well, a little faded, but stitches still intact.
That meandering quilt could end up being the best loved quilt you've ever made. If you don't want it to be seen, keep it at your house and let your grandson make friends with it in his own way,
Old 09-04-2011, 04:01 PM

I went thru all the stitches on my machine for the first quilt I did. Picked the one that was wavy and made the "wave" as big as I could. I went north and south and then east and west about 3-4" apart. Suited me when I was done. It was on the yellow brick road qult. It was for my grand-dtr to take to college and at least I could say "I did it all".
Old 09-04-2011, 05:19 PM

I agree with all the comments. Many years ago I did the same thing on a quilt. It looked like crap, but like an idiot I kept right on "quilting", thinking it would look better if I did more!!! WRONG!!! Every time I looked at it, it made me sick. So I bit the bullet and ripped it all out. It took me a couple of days. I started all over, and did a simple cross hatch. I was so pleased with the end result.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:31 PM

Meandering takes practice, don't give up. It will come to you, relax and have fun with it.