Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I just give up? >

Should I just give up?

Should I just give up?

Old 02-09-2011, 06:24 AM

If you have learned enough to cut, piece and sew seams, why not just strike out on your own and practice. Try matching seams on a four patch first, then go to a 9 patch. When you are satisfied with those, then just take some scrap fabric, cut drunkard path pieces (for practice only) and learn how to sew circles, then make a sample of a star. If you can guide yourself through these steps, you will have succeeded. Good Luck! lease, keep us posted on your progress.
Rettie V.Gramma

Originally Posted by MissBarkey
I am part of a Block of the Month group at my local quilt shop. I've been quilting for about 2 years and haven't really accomplished much, but I wanted to join this BOM to learn more about quilting and to end up with a beautiful quilt for my bed. Bad move.
The owner of the shop is a wonderful lady who is patient and helpful and the other ladies in the group are equally helpful. No -problem there. The problem is me and my lack of self-confidence and skill. These ladies are good....really good. They are doing this quilt as either an investment (it was costly) or as an entry in shows. I am totally intimidated by their abilities and have ripped out all my blocks I've done so far.
My question is this, should I just give up and chalk it up to an expensive lesson in "look before you quilt"? I really don't know what to do. Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:27 AM

Stay in. Consider it a learning experience and you will learn something with each block. We are all still learning with our quilting. There is something new all the time.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:41 AM

I'll bet none of those intimidating quilters started out being perfect. Maybe you should stay in to try to keep up with the group, but do your own simple small projects for FUN, which is the whole point anyway. You didn't start quilting to lead to a profession or a job. You thought you might enjoy creating something unique and attractive. Start small for yourself doing just that. You'll love to look at your potholder or small hanging just as much as the more complicated project. Maybe more if you make it totally your own creation.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Originally Posted by MissBarkey
I wanted to join this BOM to learn more about quilting and to end up with a beautiful quilt for my bed.
These are the key words. You have to remember that all you wanted to do is a) learn more about quilting and 2) to have a beautiful quilt for yourself.

You can do still accomplish both of these things, if you refrain from comparing yourself & your quilt to the others. If they have more experience, it stands to reason that their quilting would show that experience. However, just think of the experience you will have by the time your beautiful quilt is finished and on your bed! Not theirs - Yours! Hang in there & do this for yourself and no one else!
I totaly agree with quiltincowgirl,You must finish this for you. I'v been quilting sence the early sixtys and mine are not perfect .Some days I hate the seam ripper. Good luck and keep trying.We are here for you. :-D
Old 02-09-2011, 06:45 AM

Don't give up, you will see improvement with each block. If the blocks don't come out to right size , you can always add a border , then square up to even out. You can't learn without doing doing doing.
Best wishes :thumbup:
Old 02-09-2011, 06:47 AM

Yes I have used Marti Michell's templates and they are the best. Her first template I used was the Giant Dahlia. Some friends of mine made the Giant Dahlia but did not use her templates and they had trouble getting the center to lay flat. When I seen her template in the Keepsake Quilting book I mentioned I wanted that and lo and behold my daughter gave it to me for Christmas. I made that quilt and is turned out great. I just recently ordered her template for the I Spy quilt and finished it lst Sat.
So at it and you will be happy you did. I have been making quilts for a long time and they still are nopt perfect, but no body is perfect except God. GooD Luck
Old 02-09-2011, 06:48 AM

you havent said how difficult the blocks are.perhaps that's the problem.
if it were me i would want to start with different versions of nine patch or log cabin,streak of lightning,something with straight lines.something i could use lots of color with and be able to do without too much stress.quilting is supposed to be fun! :) save the hard stuff for later,when you have more experience.can give you a list of books you might want to look at,grammy
Old 02-09-2011, 06:58 AM

JaKnits is right. Don't give up, someday you'll be the one someone else is admiring. The ladies in your group started somewhere, time and practice made them the quilters they are now. You can do it too.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:09 AM

I have a friend here who also sells herself short. I would tell you the same thing I tell her. Finished is way, way better than perfect. If she would just look closely at every one elses work, she will find some mistakes. I feel that quilting is for fun.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:14 AM

Thank you all for the advice and encouragement. You're quite right, quitting will not improve my quilting and I can always ask for help from this board. That in itself is comforting. You all are a bunch of wonderful people and I love ya for it! I might even hide my seam ripper...no, not really...that's just too drastic and I can wait to do that when I'm so much more experienced and I will be thanks to all those who told me not to quit!

take care one and all
MissBarkey