Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I make the investment? >

Should I make the investment?

Should I make the investment?

Old 01-03-2016, 08:33 AM

Life is short, there are few things I get to enjoy these day due to my health, If i see something I want and it will make me happy, I get it as long as I can afford it. Most of out purchases in the line of sewing machines are wants not needs, lol.....be happy and enjoy life , it is short. Joy
Old 01-03-2016, 09:14 AM

There is a big price difference between the two. If it's a want, as you stated, I think you already have made up your mind.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:26 AM

No Janome does not build all singers, but they are the biggest manufacturer of machines in the world. You can find kenmores, babylocks, and singer models built by Janome, but they only build select models. Its important to remember that just because something looks like a Janome, it does not mean it has the quality parts in it that Janomes are known to have.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:23 AM

A sewing machine is not unlike an automobile. It isn't an investment! Especially if it is purchased new. Like an automobile, half the value (or half what you paid, however you want to look at it) goes out the window the minute you sign on the dotted line. That's just the way it is. So your $1,400 "investment" is worth maybe $750 the day you bring it home. That's make it very difficult, if not impossible, to look at it as an investment. Or, maybe it is an investment...just a very, very bad one. Looking at it another way, you like it, it does something for you, you will sew more and enjoy it more if you have it, well, that's a different story. If you can afford it and you want it, I say give it to yourself. It looks like a great machine, checking on-line I see from some retailers it comes with lots of extras. It appears to be a good value, a lot for you money...let us know your decision. Choose wisely.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

I have to disagree with this statement. Only buying what I need is much more than surviving as long as I'm doing it by choice to simplify my life.
I said it is what I think not what I think others should think.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:10 PM

Be sure it uses regular needles and not the round industrial ones. They are difficult to use.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:57 PM

I have a memory Craft 6000 and it is my Go to machine out of 23 machines, for quilting and making labels. Love it Cmaras1234
Old 01-03-2016, 09:40 PM

I own a Janome 6500. I have had it for about 10 or 12 years now. I love it. I am looking to buy another one for a backup sometime in the near future before they are no longer available. I tried the 6600 but I thought with the built in walking foot it felt too bulking and in the way. That was my personal dislike. You may like a built in walking foot.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:55 AM

I tried the Janome 6600, it has the built in walking foot; the foot is much bulkier than the Pfaff machines I tried.

I like the Pfaff machines with IDT, built in walking foot. I have 2 of them, Quilt Expression 4.2 for quilting and sewing at home; Passport 2.0 for classes. I got an inheritance and it was enough for the machines that I wanted, no worries about going in to debt to pay for them.
Sharon in Texas

Last edited by purplefiend; 01-04-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:05 AM

I am not sure what the Janome 6500 is, but I have the 6600 and I love that machine. It is a work horse. I know that I will never use all of the features, but there are some that I love

Last year I purchased a Magnolia 7330 because it is a smaller machine that I can carry to classes easier. I love that machine as well.

In my limited use of the available functions, the main differences that I can see have been:

The 6600's bed is wide and does not adjust. So I can't hem pants and work on blouse sleeves. But that is the ONLY negative that I have found on the 6600 since I purchased it 2 years ago

When I use my Magnolia 7330.. I miss the auto thread cutter when I use it. I also miss the knee lift very much when I use it. The throat is not as big on the Magnolia so I have had some quilting issues.

This may be a user issue, but I have not been able to FMQ with my Magnolia. I have tried but I can't get the tension correct. My 6600 I can FMQ easily - - well the machine behaves, my skill still has a lot to be desired

I am not sorry that I bought my 6600. I love this machine and I feel like it will serve me for a very long time

Whether you should buy it or not really depends on your money. I don't think you will be sorry that you purchase it as long as you have the money. My son was going to college and I was dumping a lot of money to the university, so I figured I was allowed to spend some money on myself hee hee hee

the 6600 but I thought with the built in walking foot it felt too bulking and in the way. That was my personal dislike. You may like a built in walking foot.
I don't understand this, as I have to put on my walking foot... or at least what I call the walking foot