Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I purchase this used Queen Quilter 18? >

Should I purchase this used Queen Quilter 18?

Should I purchase this used Queen Quilter 18?

Old 03-28-2013, 10:46 AM

Default Should I purchase this used Queen Quilter 18?

2008 model $3500 with the Grace Queen frame. Seller is upgrading. She said she is the original owner and it got light use up until about 6 months ago and now does 3 or 4 quilts a month on it. It's recently been serviced and she has never had problems with it. I've seen really good and really bad reviews. Please tell me your opinions.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:55 AM

Paula: I will be following this thread because I dream of having a Grace King someday. The big thing I would ask myself is what is the largest quilt I will ever want to make, will a queen be big enough? (I am finishing a 105X105.) What kind of machine is on it?
Old 03-28-2013, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
Paula: I will be following this thread because I dream of having a Grace King someday. The big thing I would ask myself is what is the largest quilt I will ever want to make, will a queen be big enough? (I am finishing a 105X105.) What kind of machine is on it?
The Queen Quilter 18 (Tin Lizzie) is the machine on it. Seller sent me pictures and it looks great. I will mostly be doing baby quilts so I do think it will be large enough. I've heard that some have had issues with service at TL but this is a used and "proven" machine. I have also found a serviceman nearby who could do any service or work that it needs.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:31 PM

Wow! A true long arm! If I ever got one I would only have a Juki or a Brother on it. The king size with the Juki on it is close to $2,000 new. Seems like a really good price to me but I am not an expert.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:41 PM

The good thing is you have found someone to on it - to me that is half the battle!
Old 03-31-2013, 05:30 PM

For $3500, I would definitely buy it--but I would go there and try it out first to make sure you like the "feel" of it and have them show you how to run it. It would make a perfect (very inexpensive) machine if you are looking for a longarm but not planning on doing very many quilts on it. And if you are doing mostly baby quilts--it will be getting light use. Then if you find you really enjoy longarm quiting, you may want to upgrade to a bigger or newer machine someday, and for the price you are paying for this machine, you can always resell if for a little less and not have lost much money. When I was going to buy my first long arm, I was looking for something used in this price range and could not find anything. Machines this new, with light use, and for this price, are far and few between. Good Luck.
Old 08-31-2020, 02:41 PM

May I ask what you wound up doing with the machine? Did you purchase it? I've been offered one as a gift and am trying to assess if it is a worthwhile venture or something I should just assist my friend in disposing of...any advice is welcome!