Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I quit or just give away. >

Should I quit or just give away.

Should I quit or just give away.

Old 10-20-2019, 11:11 AM

I would give the baby ones to charity and sell the lap ones at a reduced price to fund more quilting
Old 10-20-2019, 11:43 AM

Giving away is as much my joy as making a quilt. I'd rather know that someone is immensely touched or comforted or happy with my quilt than to receive what, inevitably, would not be enough money to pay for the time I put into it.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:58 PM

You all are great. I love to give them to people that love them better than sell. Thank you all for your encouragement to continue my love of quilting. Warms my heart and hopefully the quilts will warm others.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:04 PM

Are you tired of quilting? Is that what you mean when you say sometimes you want to quit? Ask friends and family if they would like one of your quilts. If they say yes, give them one. If you still have a few left, give them to charitable organizations of your choosing.

Most of the quilts I make are donated. I have a few that I happen to love, and a few for grands who won't take them home because they don't want them to get 'wrecked', and a few for when folks visit.
Selling quilts would make it work for me, and, since I am retired, I just want to have fun!
Old 10-20-2019, 03:19 PM
Power Poster

I donate many quilts per year to our Foster Kids in my County. I have not sold any quilts. I have a lot of fabrics and I buy batting I use. I love to make quilts and always give them away. I have about six big full size quilts for our bed. Family and some friends have plenty. I decided in 2010 I wanted to make quilts for the rest of my life. That is what I am doing.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:50 PM

The quilters here locally are having a booth in Klamath Falls, OR., during their Christmas bazaar, and we're hoping to sell quite a lot of our quilts. I'm sure that a shelter would much appreciate a few quilts. As for a nursing home, I would check and see what they do with a quilt, once a resident dies. Our local home when a resident dies, if the family doesn't want the quilt, they toss it in the trash, which is why I don't donate to our local home.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:09 PM

Guess I'm more in minority--I keep a lot of my quilts or give to family members. Since I long arm, I often do will quilt charity quilts pieced by others for free. Since I do that and work, I don't have as much time to piece quilts for myself and family, which is why I also don't have time to piece tops for charity either.

If you feel like you want to donate quilts--go for it! Also, maybe you would feel more comfortable making table toppers, placemats and bags for your own use?
Old 10-21-2019, 02:12 AM
Power Poster

I donate to two different shelters, the hospice house, a long term facility, the local fire department and police station. Also the hospital pediatric department. There is a lot of organizations that appreciate your donations- Downy quilts for Kids, Linus project, Quilts of Valor,
your donations can be a tax deduction too if you keep record of each quilt and what organizations you donate to.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:23 AM

I don't generally make quilts with a particular person in mind, so I donate several quilts a year to various charities, the hospital, and tragedies as they occur (flood, fire, etc.). I have an etsy shop and also sell some things at the local florist/gift shop. But there are quilts that I cherish for one reason or another, and I hang onto those. I put them on beds in the house, rotating them once in a while. This summer I ran out of storage space, so I started giving away carefully selected quilts to family members who I thought would cherish them. They were thrilled. I always figure a good use for one of my quilts will come up eventually.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:52 AM
Power Poster

I have a hard time giving quilts away. I'm sort of like your husband. I am not cheap at all, in fact I donate a lot of goods to charities. But I have a lot of family and a few friends who still don't have a quilt.
For me they come first.
My cousin just asked if I'd put her in line for one. I'm thrilled to do this for her especially as I had no idea she liked quilts.
But a goal of mine is to make quilts for the needy at some point.