Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Should I repair this Bernina?? >
  • Should I repair this Bernina??

• Should I repair this Bernina??

Old 02-16-2011, 09:06 PM

a Bernina, fix it.. it's worth it in my book.. I'm still sewing on my one owner 1972 (I think) 830.. I also have a 1230 and both are wonderful!! Fix it, they are wonderful machines!
    Old 02-16-2011, 09:24 PM

Mary Ann, I have a question about your machine. I have a Bernina 930 that I purchased in 1985, but to my knowledge it doesn't have a board, because it is not electronic. What board are you talking abou and is you machine a 930 or a different model? Just asking, I'm sure you know what you have, not doubting that, but where is the board, since mine is also a 930 and has not electronic or computer board.At least if it does it is invisible because I clean my machine and oil it all the time and haven't seen one. I'm just asking, maybe mine has one and I am not aware of it. Do you know where it is on the machine?
    If you decide not to get it repaired and want to sell accessories or parts, let me know I would be interested in purchasing some.
    Old 02-16-2011, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by MaryAnnMc
    Friends, I am heartbroken. The other day, my Bernina 930 started hissing and popping and spewing thick white smoke. The repairman called, and said the board was fried. :o( It will cost $275 to ship it to Bernina (can't be fixed locally, even by an authorized repairman).

The truly sad thing is, I just bought this about 5 months ago from a dear friend for $700. It was well maintained, and I had it serviced as soon as I bought it.

I never thought I could be so attached to a piece of machinery, but I cried when it happened. The question is, should i fix it? Look for another?? Does anyone have an experience with a fried board???
    I purchased a Bernina Artista 200 from a friend and used it happily for less than a year and then it just quit! Took it to a local repair gal and she said the mother board needed replacing. I purchased one from a dealer and had the repair gal install it. Total with servicing was less than $400.
    Old 02-17-2011, 12:39 AM

I think it makes sense to have this one repaired if there are no other issues that come up.
    Old 02-17-2011, 11:11 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by sewingsuz
    I would go for it, have it fixed.
    Me too, they are such good machines and hopefully you will get many more years from it.
    Old 02-17-2011, 04:08 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by hobo2000
    Look at it this way, you can't buy a new Bernina for $275. and it will be good as new when they return it. I'd go for it, the sooner the better.
    I agree!
    Old 02-17-2011, 05:53 PM

If this is the 930 from the 80's it has no board. It was made pre computerized machines. I have one & have never seen a board in it either. The 930, you remove the whole top of the machine to oil it. If there was a board you'd see it.

I'd take this machine to a Bernina dealer & have it checked. If you tok it to one, try another dealer.
    Old 02-17-2011, 06:55 PM

There is no board in a 930. It is the last of the mechanical Bernina's. It does have an electronic foot peddle. Maybe it was the motor that burnt out but those can be replaced. I would take it for a second opinion. You could join the Yahoo "Bernina ThirtySomethings" forum. There is a Bernina Technician and several other knowledgeable people on it that could give you some advice. Some dealers would rather try to sell you a new one for big bucks rather than fix the older ones. It may only need new brushes. I'm not sure what happened but it wasn't a mother board that it "doesn't have".
    Old 02-17-2011, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by allets
    There is no board in a 930. It is the last of the mechanical Bernina's. It does have an electronic foot peddle. Maybe it was the motor that burnt out but those can be replaced. I would take it for a second opinion. You could join the Yahoo "Bernina ThirtySomethings" forum. There is a Bernina Technician and several other knowledgeable people on it that could give you some advice. Some dealers would rather try to sell you a new one for big bucks rather than fix the older ones. It may only need new brushes. I'm not sure what happened but it wasn't a mother board that it "doesn't have".
    That is my opinion also, but I thought well after all these years, maybe there is something I have missed seeing with my machine.
    Old 02-18-2011, 06:22 AM

motherboard's are expensive. I had to have the one for my furnace replaced. Check to see what kind of warranty comes with the replacement. Usually it is good for a year.