Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I start quilting club back up??? >

Should I start quilting club back up???

Should I start quilting club back up???

Old 03-03-2011, 09:05 AM

I belong to a group that gets together two days a month. On a weekend. We bring our own machines and do our own work. IF they have a quilt to quilt they could do that them selves.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:27 PM

The Drunkard's Path is a great idea. I sort'a gave our local gathering of the stitch'n witches a rest for a while and got rested and re-inspired by spending my time with a few friends. We call ourselves the "Wordsmiths". Our little club veered way off course when a couple dominate babes marched in. Looks like it's righting itself now. Nearly everyone does some quilting but we encourage everyone to come with some kind of work just for the fellowship and the practice at being civilized with one another.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:26 PM

I think that sums it up. You ended the group for a reason, and unless those reasons are addressed then nothing will change and you will just be frustrated.

How about a girls night out. Like go to the movies meet for lunch one week. If it's the friendship you need and to me sounds like it is try this for a little while. Everyone goes dutch!!! We all need to get every once in awhile.Then you could enjoy each others company with the hassle free. And no clean up after words. So then the ones that come can come if not meet up with them another time. I hope this helps.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:19 PM

Yes, only if you set up a new system: Assign everyone a number (drawing out of a hat works well). The first month, you meet at number one's house. She provides the lunch menu with each person providing one dish, and everyone stays for the clean-up. The next month, you meet at number two's house, etc.
Depending on how long you "meet," the first half could be to work on your own project(s), and the second half could be for group quilting of a completed project. The group would have to decide how you figure out who's. The style of the (hand) quilting would be at the descretion of the person who pieced the quilt; if it's not your quilt, you don't have a say in how it's quilted.

As with other groups, it may be necessary to produce a "rules of conduct" and have everyone sign before they are allowed (back) into the group.

Good luck; I hope you can come to some terms that work for you.

cd
Old 03-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Power Poster

I have been quilting with several ladies for 19 plus years at a local community school. We pay $45 dollars for 10 weeks. All we have to do is designate one of us a teacher and we all do our own projects and sometimes do something together like at Christmas time or other holidays. No fuss, no mess and no hard feelings. You should look into it. I used to get together one other night a week at my husbands aunts house. It started out as a lovely get together with all of us working on our own projects with tea and cake. Then the aunt resented the tea and cake time and complained that it was for quilting and not for a tea time etc so little by little it became an unpleasant expereince for all. I like the school setting I have always had with a diffrent group of friends.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:01 AM

I belong to a group of 18 or so women who meet at the city senior center. Not many rules except: only quilting, no children , no charity sewing, no dues , no officers, just fun & then we go out to lunch! What a great group. We've been doing this for about 5 yrs with no problems.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by ssgramma
Not unless the location rotates so that you don't have all the cleanup!
good idea. :thumbup:
Old 03-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ssgramma
Not unless the location rotates so that you don't have all the cleanup!
ditto AND only invite the ones you want.