Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I teach my husband to quilt?

Banned
    Seek out other husband/wife quilters. I have been told that it is better that husband not learn from the wife. It is better for him t learn from another surce. It has to do with the dominate one in the couple. And also it is better that the wife not exertg too much influence over his learning and his work. It is sometime like having your own quilt police in the same house. Just a caution about how you might approace this. There are couples here in the board. Seek their advice. Find a beginners class where he might feel comfortable. Or send him to our QuiltGuy retreat in eastern NY in late March. Have him sign on to the QuiltGuy Yahoo group. Seek out other male quilters in your area. There is probably some in the local guilds there. Take him to your guild meeting as an easy introduction.

We don't quilt together but he did do all the cutting for a scrap quilt I did. What a time saver and he's a lot more accurate then I am.

My hubby is supportive of my love of quilting but I don't think he would like to quilt. I am glad he is interested in restoring old tractors. Gives him time out side and away from the house.
    Lorraine

Absolutely, if he is interested. If you have to share your stash, that's OK. Won't be long before he will be shopping, with you of course, for his own stash.
    Sweet Caroline

EEEEKKK, I'm definitely not sharing quilting with my hubby. Bless his heart ... but he is a PERFECTIONIST!!! I can't do anything straight or level ... just ask him LOL. Nope, no way ... he'd probably turn into the quilting police if he knew how to do it. He's not at all critical of my quilts now and I want to keep it that way. If he knew how to do it he'd see every little oops. And, if he quilted ... he'd know how much $$$ I spend LOL.

All that aside, I think it's great if you and your hubby want to quilt together

Suzy

My DH started helping me by cutting my fabric into strips & squares, etc. It didn't take long until he was making his own blocks. He's already finished a sampler & a lap quilt. Now he's working on a queen size CWQ & an attic window - all within one year!

Banned
    based on comments made on web and in person.....it often works if:
    his tools and equipment
    someone else teaching him
    and wife stay out of his business unless invited.

If he wants to, YES. or perhaps he just likes to spend time with you so he goes to where YOU are. Being TOGETHER is even more special should they become only memories.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

I have tried to get my husband to quilt but no luck. He is content to just look and comment on the finished project.

i say go for it my DH is working on his first quilt i dont think he will ever realy get into the peicing but he is looking forward to doing the quilting since i have a short mid arm on a frame and he thinks quilting will be alot more fun than peicing. ( just as a side note he will only use vintage machines since he sayes they are more like vehicles inside and he has also taken up machine cleaning/repaire.) so i think having having a hobby you can share is nice but maybe he will be interested in another type off quilting and than you can work together but there whont be any compitition.

Personally I think that it is a great idea. Obviously he appreciates your talent and skills and he is interested so why not give it a go. Just think, he may really enjoy helping you with cutting, designing or ironing or what ever you may need and you might be surprised at his contributions. I would just ask him about what he might like to do to help and go from there. Let us know how it goes.

Power Poster
    Depends - do you have two sewing machines and sets of cutting equipment?

I am one of those people that likes to play "beside" much better than "with" when doing a project.

Blog Entries
    It is a great idea. It would be wonderful if he could have his own corner and machine so you don't have to share the equipment. Wonderful idea.
    Desiderata (Max Ehrmann) - Walk placidly amid the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

If you want to share a hobby, then quilting will be an excellent one to share. You could very easily work on separate projects or as he becomes more proficient, if he likes doing some aspect of it that you are not as excited about, then sharing a project could be a really fun thing to do.

If you would prefer that he find a hobby that's completely his, model railroading might be right up his alley. Another that he might enjoy would be leatherworking. My hubby enjoys both of these, as well as photography (which he has also done professionally both portrait and car/motorcycle shows).
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

Careful. You may be creating a monster! You're the only one who can judge how much together time you can stand. I wouldn't mind teaching DH how to quilt but he'd have to have his own space!

Not really on the topic, but I noticed your user name. Along with quilting, I am an avid cyclist...so do you ride a fixie? if so, very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Fixedgearhead View Post
    I think that would be a great idea. Another one that you might propose is Needlepoint. That is something that I became obsessed with a number of years ago, and filled the house with lots of nice pillows and tapestry wall hangings. He can sit in his favorite chair and watch TV, if he wants to or, anywhere else. Not cross stitch but Wool Counted Stitch Needlepoint. I learned to do it from books and it is great sport. If that gives him pause to think about it, tell him that former NFL player Rosie Grier, who was/is a gigantic Black Man seemed to be able to pull it off and not have to worry about 'Appearances".
    Either way you might save yourself from having to share the Quilting room if you headed him in the "Tapestry" direction. Just a thought.

John

Sounds like a great idea!

Yes. I do ride fixed gear bikes. I have ridden bikes all my life but they usually were road bikes and race bikes. About 4 years ago I tried out a fixed gear bike and became hooked. Now I have a basement full of them in various styles and price ranges. All of them have been built by me, or converted, by me, from a road bike usage. If you love inflicting pain on yourself, you must try riding one uphill for a serious distance. They reduce the act of bicycling to the bare minimum of technology. Great sport for the not so faint of heart. And now, for your added pleasure, they are "Oh so Trendy".
    John
    Fixedgearhead
    Making the world a better place,
    One stitch and one dovetail at a time.

First, I am so impressed! Another cyclist who quilts....and a guy no less!! Will have to share this with my husband (a machinist who rides also)

I have ridden the fixed gear on the track (velodrome), soo cool. I ride (and raced a bit) road bikes, I enjoy mountain bikes, tandems, but the road is my true love. Would love to get a fixed gear, and I do love the minimalist of technology in it...kind of brings you back to when you were a kid. I would be hard-pressed to ride a fixie in my traffic-congested area...would have to drive a short ways first, and be off-traffic hours.

And Yes, I do like inflicting pain on myself...that kind of goes with the sport. Also very cool that you have built them up yourself! Hey, I don't know if your wife rides, but tandems can be fun.

Sorry to other board members for this "off topic" topic!

Quote Originally Posted by Fixedgearhead View Post
    Yes. I do ride fixed gear bikes. I have ridden bikes all my life but they usually were road bikes and race bikes. About 4 years ago I tried out a fixed gear bike and became hooked. Now I have a basement full of them in various styles and price ranges. All of them have been built by me, or converted, by me, from a road bike usage. If you love inflicting pain on yourself, you must try riding one uphill for a serious distance. They reduce the act of bicycling to the bare minimum of technology. Great sport for the not so faint of heart. And now, for your added pleasure, they are "Oh so Trendy".
    John

I see a fishy quilt in your future!

Blog Entries
    I think this is a great idea. My husband and I are learning to quilt together. Well, I've been quilting a while and he is learning. He has started with learning the embroidery part and I do other things on other machines while he is busy. I have a similar machine that is non-embroidery and also a new serger.

So far it is working for us but we like to do things together so I've always thought it would work. He has an amazing eye for color and has done cutting for me for quite a while. This seems to be a natural progression for us. He also does woodworking so he made us our table, made a quilt rack, a thread holder, and shelves for the sewing room.

Nancy

P.S. He also always does the dishes.
    Nancy (Go Big Red)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Great things have been done for me,
    and I am filled with joy.

Yes she rides, also. For a couple of years we had an old Peugeot tandem. One day I decided to convert it to fixed. Now there was a truly brutal bicycle. We rode it occasionally for about a year and then I sold it to somebody from Southern California who had even less brains than I do. Geared Tandem= Great Fun. Fixed Tandem=Massive Pain. Nuff Said. We now return this post to the originally intended purpose. Sorry for the diversion.
    John
    Fixedgearhead
    Making the world a better place,
    One stitch and one dovetail at a time.

A man taught me to quilt (I have been sewing since age of 4 and taught him a few tricks) then I moved across country and my handyman taught me a pattern ( dubbed the Handyman quilt and taught to my guild! If the actual sewing is not up his alley, how about him doing the handstitching the binding for you? Or cutting your strips/etc.? He might just want something to do (helping is doing) and not really want to construct and finish a whole quilt project. Linda

Quote Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
    EEEEKKK, I'm definitely not sharing quilting with my hubby. Bless his heart ... but he is a PERFECTIONIST!!! I can't do anything straight or level ... just ask him LOL. Nope, no way ... he'd probably turn into the quilting police if he knew how to do it. He's not at all critical of my quilts now and I want to keep it that way. If he knew how to do it he'd see every little oops. And, if he quilted ... he'd know how much $$$ I spend LOL.

All that aside, I think it's great if you and your hubby want to quilt together

Suzy
    You couldn't have said it any better!! It could be great for couples who work well together and a way to enjoy all kinds of trips and shopping, ect. My hubby would imagine that it needed to make us some money and I've never made a dime yet!!
    jillnjo

yes!!!!!! but find him his own space and tools. let him borrow yours to start him out but let him pick the notions and machine he likes and you both can afford. if your sewing room is big enough maybe share it with firm bounderies? He really needs to get his own stuff. he may not like the same tools as you.
    don't stop!just keep trying and something usable will turn out!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast