Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I teach my husband to quilt?

I think it would be great to get him involved to. My BF doesn't have have many hobbies and I finally got him into wood-burning. He does awesome work. Just to warn you....men have hidden talents in sewing that they don't want women to know about. Some of them are WAY better than us!!!
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

I think it would be awesome
    Kathy

I think it is a great idea! It would be something you could do together, and what could be better than that? I know a man who quilted for years, and made beautiful quilts. I should say he made quilt tops, because he didn't quilt them. He had them hand quilted by a lady who did really nice work. He liked to hunt and fish and even hunted alligators, but he enjoyed the quiet pleasure he got from quilting. He doesn't quilt anymore, but he sure enjoyed it when he did.

I think it would be great. Just think of all the fun you could have going on day trips to different quilt shops and neither of you would get bored.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    sure..just be prepared to have to SHARE all of YOUR stuff! that includes those special bits of fabric you bought but can not seem to cut into..he won't have a problem slicing into them....and when he tires of the straight stitches that old machine of HIS has, he will be on YOUR machine every time you leave the house...and when you LOSE your best scissors, ripper, etc...check in HIS tool caddy! SPeaking from experience here!

That is like asking if we would train our husbands. I've thought about this because mine too shows some interest. I don't know if I'd have the patience to teach him. I have tons with the gals in my classes, but loose it with him. Besides he is a perfectionist, working with 100'ths of an inch at work now. Though he was critical of my wobbly machine quilting till he tried the longarm himself. IF you do, be sure to let us know how it goes.

Blog Entries
    Why not? Just give him his own stuff to work with -- and a separate machine -- and bombs away!
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Blog Entries
    Great idea!! My husband bought me a new sewing machine and then wanted to use it too so he started quilting! He is great at it! We each have our own styles and keep seperate basic tool kits so that we are not frustrated at haaving to share. We also have different stashes again because we have different styles. Our joint hobby though makes for lovely shared time visiting different stores on drives out and he never complains when i buy new tool that he can share!! Lol

If he is interested, why not? I know a husband and wife team who work on winning quilts and many men who quilt so there should be no old - fashioned attitude to men sewing in this day and age. It is just another artistic form of expression after all.

I taught my husband to quilt several years ago, he is an on and off again quilter now because he has other hobbies too. His approach to quilting is different than mine, he likes pattern design and clean geometric lines. he especially likes to make quilts for gifts, while I love the challenge of new patterns and ideas. He has his own stash, and only occasionally barrows from mine, and only then if i offer. He quilts at night and i quilt during the day. It seems to work out for us. I enjoy discussing ideas and possibilities with him, since he now has a grasp of quilting concepts. If your husband expresses and interest why not teach him?

Blog Entries
    My husband took an interest in my cooking. He now rejects my suggestions for menus by saying, "I thought we might have..." I have happily let him take over the cooking so I can spend my time in my quilting room. I'm so happy he hasn't taken an interest in that. I'm afraid he would be underfoot.

If he shows interest in learning to quilt, by all means, teach him!!!

I had a neighbor who was a man and he quilted beautifuly. This book looks like it might be an interesting thing for your husband to read...then have him pick one block out to make. The blocks each have a story.

http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...quilts+book.do

Do it! You will both be happy

Blog Entries
    i think it is a great idea, but you both need your own space, machine, stash, tools, etc. is your sewing room big enough for 2?

I would not like my husband to try to share my hobby. He would criticize my methods, or 'have a better way', I like having one up on him. With a little knowledge of my own!
    Bonnie C.
    Mulemom,
    CNY

Yes

If he is interested YES! Also realize that not all quilters are not traditional quilters. Men make the best quilters and are more apt to be improv piecers,aka modern quilters than a traditional, contemporary quilter.

Every male quilter I've gotten to know are somewhat alot like I am, a free spirit, who just slaps pieces of fabric together in an art form which for the last five years as taken off international know as the modern quilt group or MOD Quilters.

If you can accept that once you teach him the basics of piecing that he may just do his own thing you both will do fine.

There are some "men" only quilt books out there and they are such an inspiration.
    clsurz

I agree! I know of many men who are 18 wheeler truckers who have taken up needlepoint of some form, hand stitching and even do quilting.

One of the local guilds I belong to in a neighboring town has at least 3 men in it now and they do wonderful work.
    clsurz

Only if you could set him up in his own separate space with his own sewing machine and stash. M dh would drive me crazy, I need the alone time with my sewing. He'd be commenting on the state of my floor, how unorganized my things are, how can you find anything? Why don't you finish a project before you start on another? Why do you need so much fabric, thread, etc.?

I think it is a wonderful idea, but I'd be sure to discuss and agree beforehand as to what things are yours, his or both. It'll save some of the headache (or arguing about it later). Good luck!!

Suzy hit the nail on the head. Mine is a perfectionist and I am not (thats why I applique,i hide a lot of messups LOL) and he would take over and it wouldn't be MY hobby anymore. He does make stuff for my room which I appreciate very much but thats as far as it goes for me. Try it and if it works great! But if it doesn't you will have to post a ?? how do I end this. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Bon-bon View Post
    I would not like my husband to try to share my hobby. He would criticize my methods, or 'have a better way', I like having one up on him. With a little knowledge of my own!
    Big Ditto to that one.

Blog Entries
    I think it is a dood idea He will have his own stle that may be different than yours so not neccesarily take from your stash.

I like the idea of long arm quilting for your hubby. It deals with a machine (every guy loves machines), he can get as creative as he likes, and the additional bonus would be your quilts will be quilted for you -- everybody wins. The needlepoint idea is great, too...there are lots of men that do that as well. I couldn't share my quilt room as its way too small for both of us, but would work it out if my hubby wanted to learn how to quilt. He won't, though - its not his thing. Encourage him to explore all the different 'creative arts' to find out what appeals to him....

Teaching hubbie to quilt?

Have you thought of going to a Folk School together where each of you can take their own class. This one is a good one www.folkschool.org. Week long or weekend classes in a wide range of crafts/hobbies.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast