Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should it be this tough to pick a machine? >

Should it be this tough to pick a machine?

Should it be this tough to pick a machine?

Old 05-26-2013, 12:26 PM

I just ordered a Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 from my local Joanne's store. They are closing out the model and it was selling for 399.99 and I get 2 classes that are 2 hours long with it. They didn't have any in stock. When the lady rang it up, it was a 999.99 machine. It has mixed reviews too and I have been a Sears Kenmore fan but, like someone said earlier, they don't make them anymore. A Brother machine from Joann's online was my other choice.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:42 PM

I am a huge fan of the Janome machines and have a Platinum Gem for backup and to take with me if I go to any classes or groups. Had the DC 2007 and loved it; but hubby surprised me with the Horizon and traded that one in towards it.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:12 AM

I bought a small Disney brother embroidery machine at Walmart 8 years ago. I take it in my RV. Have taken it to classes and all day sews. I love this little machine. I use it for piecing. The harp is way too small for me to consider quilting on it. It was $500. I bet you can get a Brother without the embroidery feature for a lot less. I think that some of the lower price machines may have a limited lifespan.....but when you use for backup...should last a long time!
Old 05-27-2013, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
I just ordered a Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 from my local Joanne's store. They are closing out the model and it was selling for 399.99 and I get 2 classes that are 2 hours long with it. They didn't have any in stock. When the lady rang it up, it was a 999.99 machine. It has mixed reviews too and I have been a Sears Kenmore fan but, like someone said earlier, they don't make them anymore. A Brother machine from Joann's online was my other choice.
I got this machine from Amazon for 249.00, free shipping! No classes, but not needed, instruction book clear as mud. Love this machine.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by tjk829 View Post
I didn't realize there were "classes" of sewing machines when I bought my first machine....a Brother SE-350 from Walmart, I spent more than I had ever paid for a machine before and was so very proud and happy with it. It was a combination sewing/embroidery machine and I wanted a design card to explore the embroidery function. I went to a Brother dealer and they were very snobbish referring to my machine as a "just a mass produced machine" as if the ones they sold were made one at a time! When I was ready to purchase a big gun machine, I went to the Babylock dealer and purchased a high end machine that was basically the same as Brother but I didn't have to deal with those sellers. I guess that made me a reverse snob, but who cares where you get a machine if it works for you? Honestly sometimes I just don't get it!
I did the same thing. I was easier to learn to use my Ellisimo Gold because I had the Brother SE 350.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:22 AM

Janome. I have two Janome at this time.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:39 AM

I just bought the Janome DC 2012 for a backup machine about 4 months ago. So far, I love it. The presser foot doesn't have that little extra extension to get thick things under, but I have made a tote bag that was quite thick and it really wasn't a problem, I was just used to it on my other machine. I really do love the machine, though. It is quiet and has done everything I have asked of it so far. I love the superior feed system (SFS) that helps prevent fabric from going down into the needle hole when you start a seam.
good luck in your hunt! I, too, had narrowed it down to a Janome and a Brother, but the Janome dealer gave me some perks that made me choose the Janome. That and the fact it came with the walking foot!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by tjk829 View Post
I didn't realize there were "classes" of sewing machines when I bought my first machine....a Brother SE-350 from Walmart, I spent more than I had ever paid for a machine before and was so very proud and happy with it. It was a combination sewing/embroidery machine and I wanted a design card to explore the embroidery function. I went to a Brother dealer and they were very snobbish referring to my machine as a "just a mass produced machine" as if the ones they sold were made one at a time! When I was ready to purchase a big gun machine, I went to the Babylock dealer and purchased a high end machine that was basically the same as Brother but I didn't have to deal with those sellers. I guess that made me a reverse snob, but who cares where you get a machine if it works for you? Honestly sometimes I just don't get it!
LOL. all the machines are mass produced, did that dealer think his machines were made piece by piece by one person? The only problem for him was that you didn't buy it from him. I also vote for a Brother, love those machine from low end in big box stores to high end from dealers. Plus you will probably be able to use most the feet/accessories from your Elegante on a Brother.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:00 AM

I have the Babylock Esante and it's a great machine. I have a simple Janome machine as a backup and travel machine but want it to do more.

So, I talked to my Babylock dealer and she suggested the Babylock Grace (retail is $499 but they sell it for $399).

You could find the Brother equivalent since they're made by the same company. That way you wouldn't have to buy new feet and have a great 2nd machine. That's my plan in a few months.

Good luck
Old 05-27-2013, 06:28 AM

I haven't bought a machine in that price range so no direct advice, but I'm thinking about practicalities - do any of the machines you're deciding between take the same bobbins as your main machine? If so, that's possibly a good tie-breaker!