Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should you tell someone if you see a mistake? >

Should you tell someone if you see a mistake?

Should you tell someone if you see a mistake?

Old 09-30-2015, 04:43 AM

A group of us entered quilts in a small quilt show recently. A few of us noted a large mistake in a wall hanging of one of our friends. As far as I know no one has mentioned it to her. We haven't seen her because of an illness, but no one wants to be the one to bring it up. She would have to have seen it when she went to the show. It was so obvious.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by LindaMRB View Post
I can't usually find the mistakes that are made even when they are mentioned in the posting, and I quilted one of my first, used it, hung it in a small show and discovered a big mistake only when I took a picture of it. I had "known" something was wrong with one of the corners when I put it together but could not actually "see" it. Boy do I wish someone had looked at it for me. Now I consider it the little difference that makes it special.

I saw a quilt top here with a pretty big mistake and wondered if I should private message the person before it gets layered and quilted.
What do you all think? If I am polite in pointing it out privately?
Soon?

Thanks for your advice.
My thoughts on this is pretty simple...if the person has asked for input, then opinion and faults can be pointed out. Otherwise, I don't think you should do either of the above.
When I post a quilt here, I have usually just completed it and excited to share. That doesn't mean that after it is posted, I don't check it. Before I gift it, I give it another close look. The person may find the mistake on their own or at the quilter's after it is posted.
Serita

Last edited by slbram17; 09-30-2015 at 04:51 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I wouldn't mention cut off points or empty binding, but if someone showed me a top before quilting that had a block turned around or something like that, I would mention it, because I would want such a mistake pointed out to me in those circumstances.

My thinking, too. I've discovered through experience that it's sometimes very difficult to see your own errors -- as in a block or piece turned wrong -- and I'd want someone to point it out to me. But "errors" through skills that are just not quite there yet, as in cut off points, etc., are another matter entirely, and I'd never mention those. I have a few not quite matched seams and cut off points myself, in early efforts; I know they are there. They serve to make me vow to do better next time!
Old 09-30-2015, 05:45 AM

I sure wouldn't point out any imperfections in her piecing but if it was a block turned wrong or something like that then if it were me I would want to know.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:05 AM

If it wasn't quilted I'd say something like, that's interesting how one blah blah is going in the opposite direction than the rest of them, or if it's an off color I'd say that's a nice shade of yellow. I've actually used a light yellow scrap and thought it was a beige. I now have better lighting in my room.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Ok, here's a slightly different question... one of my first quilts was underquilted and it was a disaster after several washings. I sometimes see quilts posted that are underquilted. Would you say anything about this? Send them a PM? Ignore it?
I hand quilt, so "under-quilting" can be in the eye of the beholder. To me, many machine-quiltings are overdone to the point of looking stiff. So I would never mention either.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:49 AM

Well....consider your relationship with the quilter prior to your constructive criticism I think.....would you be willing to have her be upset with you....or perhaps withdraw as your friend...as the saying goes "ignorance is bliss"
Old 09-30-2015, 07:50 AM

I think I would let them know in a polite way. I know I would like to know.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:59 AM

The Amish do not put mistakes in their quilts on purpose. Ask them. They say they make enough mistakes, they don't need to make one on purpose.

I made a quilt with squares put in wonky, turned one way and then the other. In one row, there were three turned the same way. I had it on my bed for two years before I noticed it. I have given it to my granddaughter now but I'm not telling her. Her grandchildren can point it out if they wish. "Look what great-great grandma did!"

I have seen too many examples of people gushing over a quilt saying it just beautiful, leave it as is, when the mistake is huge and glaring, and even one that could be seen from the back of a galloping horse; literally. Be honest!

Last edited by maviskw; 09-30-2015 at 08:02 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:05 AM

I would appreciate being told if a piece is put together wrong, but please ignore "points" that don't line up lol. I am not a perfectionist regarding points, oh I try to make them perfect but it does not bother me if they aren't, because hand quilting helps them a whole lot.