Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: It shouldn't take that long....

oh yeah well if you know so frackin much about quilting then why don't you make this here quilt that is going to be auctioned off at your Aunts benefit dinner and auction!

I LOVE to quilt, and I never accept payment for my work as long as the "wanter" purchases all the fabric, batting, and thread for quilting. But PLEASE!!!!!! Do not put me in a bind when you already know I have SEVERAL quilts that I need to get out around the same time. Yes I may get three tops done this week but next week when I have two sick kids, a husband who needs help on homework, and a dog who got his boys removed I won't get as much done!

Now I am back to sewing one for my sons birthday (3.19) two for my sister (3.23) and one for my best friend (3.29) The auction quilt will just have to wait till next month!
    oh and NO I don't have time this coming week to teach you how to cut fabric for a quilt! Sorry maybe next month AFTER I get the quilt for you done!

Anyways thanks for letting me go ahead and get that out of the way before there was any more confusion!

C'mon justwanna. Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel about it! :lol: :lol:

You had me rolling about the dog.

lol!

I know what you mean. People think we can whip these things out in our sleep! Funny statement about the dog!

Power Poster
    Your Superwoman aren't you?

Yep, love that. You can just whip one out for us right??? Condolences to the dog's "boys" lol

Just one more, lol. I know it's not funny but you made us laugh.

Honey just say No it is a wonderful word to learn And we are here to listen when you need us

lol!!!! you rock! The "boys" didn't get in the way of your sewing machine did they? Ohhhh, those are dissolving stitches, I see.....

i just love your attitude. there are not too many who can actually say that to the person. so here is my question . . . did you say that for real or just type it to us? either way, bet you feel better now, don't ya? i actually do say no to people, and i do not find it that difficult at all. now get back to quilting!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie_1963
    lol!!!! you rock! The "boys" didn't get in the way of your sewing machine did they? Ohhhh, those are dissolving stitches, I see.....
    lol....toooo funny :D :-D

Banned
    If I may repeat the words of one of this Nation's former First Ladies

"Just Say No!"

Blog Entries
    I agree just say No

Quote Originally Posted by Holice

"Just Say No!"

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Senior Member stitchntimesewing's Avatar
    I sooooo hear your pain. They think you have no life but to pull projects right out of your A**. LOL....

Blog Entries
    I have to agree you need to say NO!!! once in a while. People who do not sew or quilt have no idea how long it takes, especially is you start running into problems.

Glad everyone got a good laugh. I can laugh about it NOW yesterday however it was a little tougher! I didn't say this to her word for word, however it not to far fetched! lol

The problem with saying no is....I had agreed to make this quilt, I thought it was needed like in August at the earliest. They are using Christmas fabric for goodness sakes. Anyways then she informes me a week ago that she "doesn't need it" till the 27th of April. Ok that is doable Its not THAT hard of a pattern. However I still did not have the pattern book. Well I go last night to get the book from her along with the quilt back, and the date has changed. to the 16th of April. Still doable but less doable than the 27th.

Further more I said I would go to the fabric store with her ANY TIME! well I guess that meant i can't make it so she went herself and bought EXACTLY the ammount of fabric the booked called for, not a smigin over. SO!!!!! I have never made a quilt from book this way I sure hope they give me enough fabric to square up and maybe a mistake along the way!

Thanks for letting me extent my vent.

Blog Entries
    Hope the kids are feeling much better, hubby is all caught up on his homework and I already know the pooch is just fine. They breeze through those removal procedures like nothing ever happened. Your attitude is super - being up-front keeps you out of a ton of trouble! Oooops - all that is for next week ......................................... :lol:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    I agree just say No

Quote Originally Posted by Holice

"Just Say No!"
    Only way. I made the mistake of saying I would applique the center angel then was told it had to be "finished" and this by a quilter!! No is just easier all the way around.

Blog Entries
    I have grown to love that little word, except when it comes up and smacks my ears broadside. Then it turns to a love/hate relationship.

Blog Entries
    LOL! I know what you mean. Non-quilters seem to think our completed quilts just pop out of our sewing machines in 5 minutes. I have a list going of projects I want to make and in the order theyíll be made. Wish I was a faster quilter! Two family members are on this list and so is a charity quilt, not to mention the other ones.

Iíve learned (from experience) that when someone asks for a quilt to let them know that I wonít put a time frame on it. When I made a quilt for a friendís Mom she called nearly every day asking when it would be done. I donít charge to make quilts for family and friends and don't want to turn it into a 'chore.'

Blog Entries
    Boy does all this sound familiar and I am not even that busy. My husband even though he is supportive most of the time has been bugging me to make him something for the back of his chair that will not slip off. He keeps a quilt there because he gets cold and I get hot but, it slips off the back when he and his dogs get up. I told him as soon as I could. Two days later he asked me if it was done. I said no I still had the baby quilt and our DD's quilt to finish. OMG he knows better.

Most people don't have a clue what it takes to make a quilt...that said, just say NO.

Well, if its any consolation, in my experience, quilts in books call for enough yardage for squaring up, mistakes, etc. I made a quilt from a book once and was kind of annoyed at all the excess. I would have preferred not to spend that much extra on fabrics that weren't really "my" colors.

Seems like another pattern I made from a book called for way more than was actually needed, but I may have switched that one up a bit, so it may have been my own fault. I don't do patterns from books/magazines often.

My favorite person is the one that wants a quilt done on the 16th of April when I tell people I can't quilt until after tax season is over. (April 15). I guess I am not allowed a day off after working 4am to 9pm 7 days a week to get 600 tax returns done. By the way Obama, thanks for delaying the forms a month and half. Didn't add to the stress leval at all!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast