Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A Show of hands >

A Show of hands

A Show of hands

Old 03-01-2013, 11:36 AM

Believe me, you are NOT alone!!!!!
Old 03-01-2013, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
I actually like paper piecing - if you don't have a LQS with a class check out the DVD by Carol Doak. Actually as much as I like to take classes I think this might be a better value as you can stop/go back and look at again if you haven't done it in a while. I have a couple of her books but have loved the DVD - even though I had already paperpieced. She goes through some things like how to make sure your pieces are big enough and an easy way to determine if your angle is going to work.
This is how I learned I went crazy trying before I watched Carol, I'm almost sane again, said almost.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:50 PM

I just completed quilt # 21 and it is a pp storm at sea. OMGosh! Love this so much. Once I 'got' the concept, it was a snap. I didn't take any classes, or read any books, I found a couple of online tutorials and gutted it out until I clicked. Alot of it was still trial and error for me. The only problem I have with it is I don't have enough time to make all the PP quilts I want to make! I do know the next project I will use Ricky Tims Poly Stable Stuff for the foundation paper (it doesn't have to be removed!)
I hope to get this quilt on the LA this weekend...can't wait!
Old 03-01-2013, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by MrsM View Post
How many of you have or know someone who was driven insane by paper piecing? I hope I am not the first! lol
I have done PP and been told I did well, but when I think about doing PP my brain just says forget it. I am going to have to do some soon, but I will be kicking and screaming all the way.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:08 PM

I always want those tiny results to originate from tiny scraps which unfortunately they don't. That's what will get me into trouble!
Old 03-01-2013, 02:52 PM

I took a PP class a few years ago. I enjoyed it, but haven't done much of it since.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:19 PM

I do it only if I really want that pattern, and that is not often......I have to really concentrate when starting again...because in my mind it is all backwards. I do have the DVD and books by Carol Doak, and they have been a tremendous help.......

I don't know how to drive a stick shift vehicle either, two people tried teaching me twice in my life and it didn't work...maybe there is a connection there somewhere. I do not miss not driving a stick shift vehicle and I really don't think about paper piecing that much either. Having fun just cutting squares, triangles and sewing them right sides together!!!!!
Old 03-01-2013, 07:44 PM

Not my thing! Don't want to learn! Now that I have said that it will probably haunt me the rest of my days!!
Old 03-01-2013, 07:52 PM

I actually enjoy paper piecing - even though it seems so counter-intuitive to me. Once you get the rhythm going, it can be relaxing. Line up, flip, sew, fold, trim, repeat.....
Old 03-01-2013, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by spokanequilter View Post
I actually enjoy paper piecing - even though it seems so counter-intuitive to me. Once you get the rhythm going, it can be relaxing. Line up, flip, sew, fold, trim, repeat.....

So true!!! I have listened to many, many books on CD while paper piecing. So relaxing!! Listening to Outlander right now. Be still my beating heart! Lol