Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Show me your sewing chair >

Show me your sewing chair

Show me your sewing chair

Old 03-13-2015, 04:04 AM

Default Show me your sewing chair

Currently, my sewing machine is situated on a desk that has no chair. When I sew, I drag a bench in there to sit on. I'm looking for a new chair. I'm thinking of a doctor-type rolling stool. What do you think?
Old 03-13-2015, 04:18 AM

A doctor's stool is what I use. Before that, it was just a kitchen chair. I really like using the rolling stool better since I'm up and down so much. It's not in the way. I can also adjust the height and use it at my longarm when needed. Purchased through Amazon for around $40 or $50.

Last edited by DebraK; 03-13-2015 at 04:34 AM.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:20 AM

Definitely something with wheels but as far as the back, arms/no arms, etc. it could be your preference. My back doesn't touch the back of the chair unless I stop to rip.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:27 AM

I like the rolling chairs without any arms, that office supply & even WM & probably Target sell. The seat adjusts up or down and has a back. I think the one I have cost me about $30, several years ago. Sometimes when I have to rip a seam that went astray, I like to lean back for a few minutes.

I have another rolling chair with arms, but I only use it when I am doing machine embroidery. The arms won't let me roll far enough up to the desk when I am doing regular sewing. They prevent me from getting into a neutral position with my body, arms and back while I am sewing.

Yes, I do get some backache when I am sewing, but these chairs do help. I can't even imagine sewing without the rolling chairs. My friend brought an extra one to leave at a day long sewing retreat she goes to once a month. She is taller than I am and prefers the ones with the arms. She also does a lot of handwork, which I rarely do.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

i love the adjustable rolling office chairs... i have 3 of them. sometimes i have to lower my chair to get my nose [eyes] closer to the sewing for minute details.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:18 AM

I use a smaller sized office chair with arms. It took awhile to find the right fit since I am short, but I just kept trying out every one I saw in stores until I finally found one that felt right to me.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:01 AM

I bought a saddle stool and I loved it for my back but I've had a hip replaced and it pressed uncomfortably on that hip-bone so I had to stop using it. Now I'm using a balance ball - it hasn't been that long but so far I like it a lot.

I have a terrible habit of scrunching up my shoulders and hunching over when I sew, even though I've carefully set up my station to be ergonomic if I sat properly. So now I'm trying seats that force me to sit up straight(er) in order to balance, and it does seem to be helping me not hunch up as much. Now when I hunch up I have to use my stomach muscles a lot more to stay upright, so I guess if it's not correcting the problem, it's at least helping me exercise some pretty much unused muscles, LOL.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

I kept sitting in chairs until I found one with great support. I bought mine at IKEA.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:18 AM

Just something to think about....anything on wheels will collect threads in the wheel assembly area....it gets clogged up and has to be cleaned out occasionally....my office chair does this but cleaning it out isn't bad....I also have a tendency for whatever I am working on to get under the wheels of my chair, despite my best efforts to keep it off the floor...I must move around alot and not realize it!
Old 03-13-2015, 09:37 AM

Barb: Most arms on office chairs can be taken off. I have an office chair also. When I assembled it, I left off the arms. Just flip over the chair and see if the arms are attached with screws. Mark the right and left with tape and also, tape the screws to the arms in case you want to re-attach them at some point.