Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which 'side' are you on? >

Which 'side' are you on?

Which 'side' are you on?

Old 07-14-2012, 11:03 AM

dont wash
buy whereever I feel like(online, joanns,walmart,LQS)-all have something to offer
do all types of piecing-no preference
pay for LA machine quilt but practicing on my domestic
love my high end machine-no interest in old machines but do have a FW coming my way one day from my aunt
binding-depends on quilt edge, scallops, straight, etc.
absolutely love steam and starch

I think people do whats best for them- if there was one way to do things life would be very boring, love that people are very passionate about what they do but some people go overboard and don't realize that its opinion and there are many ways to do things and many things that you can learn from others. No one person knows everything, but some think they do and are not open to learning new things from others. But hey its their loss. I for one love learning lots of new things and different techniques from different people which is why I love taking classes
Old 07-14-2012, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Firmly on the fence! I do what works for me and to heck with the quilt police.
My sentiments exactly. I have learned so much here. I like the fact that people have differing ideas about how to do things. I love reading the differing strategies. I read them all, then decide what would probably work best for me at that time. I'm glad there are more than one way to do things, places to purchase fabrics, machines to buy, etc.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
It depends.
Almost always!
Old 07-14-2012, 11:09 AM

You forgot us handquilters!! I would have said,

Machine quilting vs. Hand quilting or tying.

We have so many options, sadly there will always be some people who just KNOW that theirs is the ONLY way to do something, and they can be quite vocal about it. Just smile, nod your head, and move away slowly....

I have been making quilts for over 30 years and learned about this very early. We had made what I thought was a traditional quilt and were looking for a sales venue. Went into two different craft galleries. One said "Too traditional." The other said "Too modern". Same quilt.

Just please yourself, that is what is important.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:37 AM

I like the suggestions, and even tried some. Quilting to me, is a learning experience. Quilt Police dare not come to my house!
Old 07-14-2012, 11:45 AM

What about sending tops out to be quilted vs. I must do it all myself? Definitely two camps there lol
Old 07-14-2012, 11:58 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I use to make very traditional quilts with very traditional fabrics but after seeing all the pictures here I've changed my ways. I love the new bright and bold fabrics and the new designs now. I even started using batiks, which I swore I never would. So, other people are helping me change and become better and try new things and I love it. My quilting was getting a bit boring, by the way.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:00 PM

The discussions are always interesting. Sometimes they change my mind. Usually do what works for me at the time.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:04 PM

I wash everything that comes into the house to remove chemicals, but also find that every single piece shrinks or "reshapes" itself after washing and drying, EVEN the "higher quality" stuff from the LAQ stores!

I buy nice fabrics at garage sales for 50 cents a yard than 12.99 a yard for the same stuff at the LAQ stores...just needs to be washed!

Once washed & dried, I iron, going with the grain to keep from stretching it out of shape. I DO use sizing because it really does make it easier to cut. I thought some were nuts to say that, but found out for myself. I think it makes a big difference.

Steam? Yes

Walmart- rarely
Hobby Lobby- don't have one that I know of nearby
Joann's- often, but am picky about what I buy there, most often remnants at 1/2 off! (Ok...my "cheapness" is starting to show here. lol)

Any machine is a sewing machine as long as it sews properly. Yes, some of the newer features are very nice, but you're paying dearly for them...sort of like having a remote for your TV...does it make the show any better? No

Applique- ok, if I have to. I'd much rather piece, and love paper piecing results!

Haven't done the LAQ trip yet. I'm cheap...oops, there it is again. lol

Definitely stitched over tied.

Binding definitely cut on the straight grain- it doesn't stretch as much and I think it produces a much nicer finish to the edge.

If I had to choose a topic I do feel strongly about it would be that I cannot, I repeat, cannot work in a messy area! lol I'm a bit OCD.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Firmly on the fence! I do what works for me and to heck with the quilt police.
Same with me.