Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Which 'side' are you on?

I have learned a lot from this board. I do what fits me! I don't wash fabrics and I use steam and starch. I hand quilt, quilts that say "hand quilt". I do my own machine quilting on my domestic machine, lap, twin, queen and even king. Some day I will get a sewing machine that has a larger throat. I don't need a LA and personally can't afford it. I would never get my moneys worth and they just seem to complicated. We all have our own way to do things and non of them are wrong. Just enjoy quilting and learning from the board - the PEOPLE ARE GREAT!!

Power Poster
    I won't say that any particular way of doing something is 'wrong' -

BUT I have learned that some ways of doing things give me results that I much prefer!

Never hold on too tight to your side of the fence. You might miss the view from the other side or at least the chance to visit with the neighbors.[/QUOTE]

I love this!! So well said!! Can be applied to all areas of life!

I agree, there is always more than one way to skin a cat...
    and I have three kitties, so a cat lover here, (no kitty police please, lol).
    Each of us was created uniquely and will always have our own preferences and there are some conversations,
    (not THIS ONE),...
    that should not be had bc the events were experienced SOOOOO differently!
    Btw, I do a mixture of all of the above depending on my mood and energy etc.
    So as a quilter I am either a fence sitter or I just love it all.
    The thing I feel good about though, is my ability to respect others right to believe as they wish...just go forth and quilt and do no harm. (LOL )
    It is a blessing, to be a blessing !
    ~Quilters are warm people!!!~
    cheese brings parties together

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...HJV/weight.png

On the Fence! That way I'm firmly Set as to what Way I choose ! LOl.
    'Lily' says 'What Cat, Wheres the Cat?? Eat cat!!
    Last edited by icon17; 07-15-2012 at 07:34 AM.
    May Your Life Be Full of Charity and Love.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    One thing that many people have seemed to agree about:

The 'good' scissors are to be used ONLY for fabrics - and woe upon whoever used them for something else!
    I have 3 kids; ages 8, 11, & 13. They know better than to take my scissors. I have a few they can 'use' but beware if you take them away from my sewing area. I have sewing scissors too, they have to ask to use them.

I too am on the fence. It depends on my mood and my mood is subject to change.
    Dorian

If you've met one child with Autism, you've met ONE child with Autism.

Which 'side' are you on?

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    There are certain topics that seem to bring out strong feelings from the responders.

Some of them are:

To wash fabrics before cutting them versus there is no need to

Buying nice fabrics wherever one finds them versus purchasing them only from LQS

Starch/size a fabric before cutting versus thinking a fabric should have enough body on its own

Using steam to press versus using a dry iron to press

WalMart/JoAnn/Hobby Lobby are nice places to shop versus I would rather die than go in any of those!

Using a nice, simple old(er) sewing machine versus top of the line new sewing/embroidery machine

Applique versus piecing

Paper piecing/strip piecing/foundation piecing versus the other kinds of piecing

Long arm quilting versus domestic machine quilting

Tied versus stitched methods to hold the layers together

Binding cut on the straight of grain versus binding cut on the bias

These topics come up over and over - and the responses still seem to be divided -

There are others - those are just the ones I could think of at the moment.

Isn't it great that we can do whatever we feel works better for ourselves??
    Or that we can do whatever will be more appropriate for the project at hand?

Any other topics that people seem to feel strongly about?
    Then there is the question of do you press seams to one side or press the seams open?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
    well said!!
    I agree with this.
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

Buy what I want, when I want, where I want.
    Use starch and sizing.
    Have hand quilted and sent out for LA
    Like to do my on thing mostly.
    Love machine and hand appliqué and pp.
    BUT, always wash as I can't tell what will bleed until it is put to the test of hot water.
    All IMHO...
    Love the board and am always learning everyone!

I love this board. I have learned so much. I do whatever works for me. I will say, I'm in love with paper-piecing and I'm trying applique. It's just so much fun to try new things.

I agree with I do what feels best for the project. I have taken classes and learned various methods for various projects, but find that some methods feel better than others for me. We all have our favorite ways to do things, but it is always fun to learn a new method and see if it works for me.

Yea to being open to try different things.

I prefer to wash fabrics before using but bought pre-cut tumblers out of beautiful Asian fabrics that were so beautiful. Of course I did not wash them, and they have made up a beautiful quilt. I will advise the recipient that the fabrics have not been washed so IF they ever have to wash it, it will be have to be handled carefully.

I do machine piece, love my little 2 yr. old Brother, but since all I use is a straight stitch, as long as the machine does a good job of that, the cost doesn't matter.

I only hand quilt. Partly because I love to do it. Partly because machine quilting looks too hard. Partly because I can't afford to send to a long-armer.

I use Magic Sizing instead of starch. It gives enough body to make a good cut, but I don't think it attracts critters like starch does.

I do prefer piecing at this stage, but perhaps on down the road will try applique. I do enjoy hand binding with a blind stitch which I think is an applique stitch.

I think quilting is like any other art. There are many mediums to work with and many ways to get to the finished piece. I hope to always be open to learning from others, but know I will choose what works for me.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

I don't believe in rules cause they all don't work all the time for everything. So it is whatever works at the time and what I have on hand to work with. My girlfriend is from the school of only one way I drove her nuts. ex. she taught me how to do quillows and I wanted the tying on the other side than she said I had to do and kept flipping it over on me.
    She found that I could do it on the side I wanted I just had to stick my hand in the pillow part to get it on that side. It was funny for me at the time but she sure was getting frustrated hahaha. I just said crafts and sewing is up to your own creative juices on your projects LOL
    I guess I give her a hard time cause the more frustrated she gets about something the more I get the giggles can help it she reminds me of I love lucy sometime. Lets admit it lucy was funny.LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Firmly on the fence! I do what works for me and to heck with the quilt police.
    I agree wholeheartedly.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Like a lot of you have said, I have learned so much from reading this board. It is wonderful for all of us to have a place where we can read tips, get help and share.
    The words "easier" and "quicker" are ones I respond to when looking at a different or new method to do something. I love having choices and learning new things.

Blog Entries
    I'm a "whatever is the best way for me" kind of quilter and believe there is no right or wrong way just different ways. If I had to come up with one rule it would be "you must have fun"

You know what they say......the grass is always greener on the other side! LOL!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I think you missed have these on your list ......
    * Thread choices and avoidances
    * To set seams or not to set seams
    * Sizing vs. Starch vs. Best Press vs. none
    * Above, Homemade vs. storebought
    * DSM quilting ... scrunch and puddle or roll and bundle
    * Pre-cuts vs. yardage
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Sometimes I do. And sometimes I don't!

I do.
    I learn.
    I adapt.
    I change.
    I learn more.
    I adapt more.
    I change some more.
    I am a work in progress!

One thing that's certain in life ... CHANGE!
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I live to break the "rules". Who came up with them anyways? They seriously impede my creative spirit. This is why I will never fit in any guild. I have been sewing for 30 years, but I am fairly new to quilting. I am also a potter and vegetable gardener. (Yeah I know mud and fabric together - go figure.) The only rules I follow in my hobbies are the safaty rules, everything else is up in the air. For me, quilting is art and that said - the sky is the limit - no rules, no boundaries.
    - I do not prewash my fabrics because I like them nice and stiff.
    - Steam seams to affect the seams, so I use it only on whole cloth.
    - I use foundation piecing with crazy quilts - there is no other way to make it work for me.
    - And a big NO-NO - I grew up in metric system so 1/4" seam is still a mystery to me. My seams are all the same width, which is the width of my walking foot.
    - IF I use binding (which is not always the case), I use my machine to attach it on both sides - nobody can tell.
    - When I quilt by hand I use pearl cotton, ribon or whatever is bulky and visible, why bother going through all that trouble if nobody is going to see it.
    - I think sergers have a place in a quilting room, I am just too lazy to fuss with it - they are more touchy than your regular sewing machine. I swear by them when sewing garments.
    - The best sewing machine is the one you have and that works. I wish I had my old 1892 Singer, but I cannot ship it from Bosnia - too costly and it may never get here. I have a classroom model Singer 5050 and it is a workhorse.
    I've got a smile on my face, I've got four walls around me
    The sun in the sky, the water surrounds me
    I'll win now but sometimes I'll lose
    I've been battered, but I'll never bruise

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    There is a song out that came to mind when I started reading the replies: Do what you want to do, its your thing.
    Each of us are so very uniquely different in our sewing/quilting/crafting ways, there are so many things each of us does differently. Different tips, ideas etc..and different things that work for each of us.
    Quilt police ? UNLESS you are a master of quilting with many a degrees in sewing/quilting, as the Gecko says: forget about it, and its your thing; do what you want to do.

So there is my 2 cents for what its worth on the whole thing.!!LOL Don't get me wrong; I have tried some of the tips from others and they have helped me out and some well .. let's just say it worked for them, not me.
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    God made us all differently so why wouldn't it make since that we'd do things differently. Isn't that what makes the world go round; all the different people and all they have to offer. When I give advice to anyone on anything, I tell them to check out all the different info and different points of view as to how something should be done and then find what's best for you. I know for me that's always changing too. I might start out doing something one way and as I get better at it I find there is a better way to do it; for me. I'll normally try anything once and decide if it's for me.

I don't alwasy wash fabric first; depends on the fabric and color. I'm learning to quilt at home because I can't afford to send it out. I'd probably send some out if I could afford it. There are some really tallented LA out there. I've tied quilts and SITD quilts; depends on the quilt. I don't worry about binding being on the bias unless its on curves. I love hand applique and piecing and I have machines older than me and my Ruby isn't even a yr old and I love embroidery too.
    I'm like the weather, I'm constantly changing as the need warrants it. I learn more things, which I love doing and then decide if I want to stick to my old ways or try the new things.
    The world would be so boring if we all were the same and did everything the same way.
    Judy

I always wash my fabric before cutting.
    I get the best buy I can get on nice fabric wherever it is sold.
    I don't hesitate to use starch if the fabric needs it.
    I steam, or not, whatever I think that particular fabric needs.
    I have a vintage machine, and it works beautifully.
    I prefer piecing, but have done a little applique.
    I tried PP once, and liked it, but have not done any since.
    I prefer hand quilting, but have had a LA quilter quilt a couple of quilts for me.
    I tied one quilt on request years ago, and didn't like it.
    I make my own binding and cut it 2 1/2", then fold in half and press. I sew it to the front on machine, then fold to the back and hand stitch.

I think the process of making a quilt is a personal choice, and I never saw one I didn't think was pretty, in it's own way.

Good thread. With so many fence sitters, we may actually be lowering it. That can only be a good thing, creating a clearer view of both sides.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    I'm one of those people who "never" says "never" LOL...I am not opposed to trying new ideas, old ideas, crazy ideas, etc. Whatever works is great with me!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast