Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
SideWInder - Why? >

SideWInder - Why?

SideWInder - Why?

Old 02-24-2011, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
I just opened a box, that had a SideWinder in it - It looks like it just fills up bobbins - or does it do something else.

Mind you that I have 2 older sewing machines - a Viking from the 70's and a Bernina from the 80's - Bobbins can be filled on my sewing machines

Is it something that is needed in a sewing room. Isn't just as easy to use you sewing machine to fill your bobbins - Does everyone have one of them?
I have a sidewinder that I use all the time because I have two old machines that do not do bobbins and it is much faster for me to make bobbins using my sidewinder.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:08 AM

I have a sidewinder also and love it .I just fill 5 or 6 bobbins with what ever thread i'm useing when i'm quilting, and i don't have to untread my machine ever time. I'm going to fill my bobbins with all my other colors i use the most and that way they will be done when i need them just not as many. I love mine.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:53 AM

I like it because I don't have to un-thread my machine. I received it as a "gift" from a wonderful woman that is here on the forum. I really like it!!!
Old 02-24-2011, 02:57 PM

I have a Sidewinder and I fill bobbins for my Bernina 170 without problems. I like the Sidewinder because it fills the bobbins much fuller than the Bernina bobbin winder and I don't have to remove the top thread when I am sewing. I really like it.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:39 PM

I agree, about having to buy an extra spool of thread or having to unthread the machine to wind... why bother? When I start a project I usually wind two bobbins right at the start and then I can sew for quite awhile before running out. I can think of other things to spend $30.00 on and it doesn't take that much of my time up.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:49 AM

I just opened a box, that had a SideWinder in it - It looks like it just fills up bobbins - or does it do something else.

Mind you that I have 2 older sewing machines - a Viking from the 70's and a Bernina from the 80's - Bobbins can be filled on my sewing machines

Is it something that is needed in a sewing room. Isn't just as easy to use you sewing machine to fill your bobbins - Does everyone have one of them?
I know some people who fill like 30-40 bobbins at a time and they use one of these. Usually when they are getting ready to go to our quilt retreat. Me I wind as I need them. lol.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:12 AM

I could not get the thread to wind on the bobbin correctly or very tight like my machine does................took it back to Joann's.............the lady there said this is the fourth one returned today, what's going on. Not worth the money IMO.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy
I also use a sidewinder and although at first I thought it was a frivolous gadget it has proved to be a very good tool. You can wind multiple bobbins to keep moving on projects. If you do run out and need to wind a bobbin you do not need to take your machine thread apart to wind on machine.

I think if you give it a try you will like it.
Ditto
Mine is Pink the profit went to Breast Cancer Research paid $22 AU
Old 02-25-2011, 06:55 AM

I have one and love it. I don't have to unthread the machine to wind a bobbin.

I've seen them on sale for less than $20 or use a coupon from JoAnn's, Hancocks, etc.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:39 AM

If i am sewing a project . running out of bobbin, i just reach into bobbin box pull another out , pop it into the machine. Off i go again.

I have 60 extra bobbins. use mostly white to sew. i take the time to just fill bobbins. then when these run out. Store them until i have to rewind again.