Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: SideWInder - Why?

I just opened a box, that had a SideWinder in it - It looks like it just fills up bobbins - or does it do something else.

Mind you that I have 2 older sewing machines - a Viking from the 70's and a Bernina from the 80's - Bobbins can be filled on my sewing machines

Is it something that is needed in a sewing room. Isn't just as easy to use you sewing machine to fill your bobbins - Does everyone have one of them?

No I don't have one and I have too wondered why you would spend $30 for one when your machine can wind them for you. Anxious to see what others have to say.

Blog Entries
    I have one and I like it. I don't have to stop and unthread my machine to fill a bobbin. I have a combination emb and sewing machine. While it is running I can fill bobbins. Personal preference.

I recieved one as a gift, I use it, I dislike unthreading to fill an empty bobbin.
    Call me lazy.

I have to unwind the thread in order to do a bobbin so if I run out of bobbin thread, before the project is done, I can wind a bobbin without undoing everything.

sorry I hit go twice

I'm considering it, because its a pain in the butt to wind bobbins on my Juki when she is up on the frame, and I only have 4 bobbins for her. (I know, why don't I just buy more bobbins.)

Just faster and easier tan unthreading I also wind my bobbins while embroidery is running

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    I have one and I like it. I don't have to stop and unthread my machine to fill a bobbin. I have a combination emb and sewing machine. While it is running I can fill bobbins. Personal preference.
    Ditto plus mine winds to loose and can't get it adjusted on my machine if tight enough winds like a Tpee

Blog Entries
    I also use a sidewinder and although at first I thought it was a frivolous gadget it has proved to be a very good tool. You can wind multiple bobbins to keep moving on projects. If you do run out and need to wind a bobbin you do not need to take your machine thread apart to wind on machine.

I think if you give it a try you will like it.

Santa brought me one for Christmas because he was tired of listening to the whining noises my machine made when winding bobbins. I love it for all the other reasons mentioned also.

Personally I don't see a need for it. I have a separate bobbin winder motor on my machine.

Over 12 hours drive to the service center, so when my Brother decided it didn't want to wind bobbins any more I got a sidewinder. Used it for a few weeks and then forgot the Brother was being fussy and low and behold its winding away again! Go figure!

I have one and like it for the same reasons listed by others. It also winds bobbins tighter than the machine so there is more thread on the bobbin and it lasts longer. I also have a machine (with a separate bobbin motor) that gets really fussy about winding bobbins sometimes and this works when the machine is acting up.

I got mine on sale for about $15 when they first came out.

You can also occupy the kids by having them wind bobbins for you! lol

JuneC, the only two types of bobbins that the Sidewinder will not work on are Viking and Bernina. Thought you should know. :)

Older machines could wind bobboins without unthreading the machine, even wind while you were stitching. Newer machines have to be unthreaded to wind bobbins. The sidewinder is great for saving time. Have you seen the new ones, not $30, $100. Simplicity bought them and upgraded. Wish I could come up with an invention somebody would buy me out, then I could stitch all day instead of going to work!!!!

Blog Entries
    I'm puzzled about this. Unless you have an extral reel of thread in the same colour, wouldn't you have to unthread your sewing machine anyway to get the reel off to put on the sidewinder. Or am I missing the point completely.

I love mine because I don't have to unthread my machine to wind the bobbin. I have plenty of bobbins and wind ALL of them while I'm at it. I need to get one for my DM since her machine won't wind the bobbins anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by JUNEC
    I just opened a box, that had a SideWinder in it - It looks like it just fills up bobbins - or does it do something else.

Mind you that I have 2 older sewing machines - a Viking from the 70's and a Bernina from the 80's - Bobbins can be filled on my sewing machines

Is it something that is needed in a sewing room. Isn't just as easy to use you sewing machine to fill your bobbins - Does everyone have one of them?

Hi JuneC and everyone,

I just recently bought one (SideWinder-small) at JoAnns, using a 50% off coupon. of course. The reason I bought one is that my good machine needs to go the hospital for repairs. Not having the funds for completing the repairs it has had to be put on hold for now.

I found a Singer machine very cheap at the thrift shop to get by in the interim. Unfortunately the bobbin winder on this machine is not working. Since I only have one bobbin for this temporary machine, I have to stop to reload when it comes empty. I had actually wound a few bobbins by hand before getting it, so getting it has made loading the bobbins a breeze.

Also, from what I've been reading it seems that the bobbin winding feature on some machine tends to need fixing quite often. With the use of the side winder, this feature of the machine will last longer before needing attention.

I also like that the side winder can be used by electrical outlet or by batteries. I would imagine that it might be nice to have a sew-ins and retreats.

Just wondering if anyone having the large spool winder can report about their use.

Have a Great Quilty Day!
    Pam M

I dont know...I just had to buy one and I think ive used it once. Waste of money in my opinion.

I usually wind several bobbins at once when making a quilt so I don't have to stop to wind another bobbin. Gosh, the price of bobbins is so little, even I will pay for them. I tend to use the standard neutral colors when quilting so having a lot of bobbins is always nice. So, I keep a lot on hand ready to go.

I store my bobbins on those round ring style rubberish type bobbin holders. Easy to find and won't break if I drop them. Got the holders at Joann's with their coupons.

ali

Since I have a HQ I do have a bobbin winder for that. Don't use it for my sewing machines, though.

My midarm does not have an area to wind a bobbin. So I have a sidewinder to do those bobbins.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    JuneC, the only two types of bobbins that the Sidewinder will not work on are Viking and Bernina. Thought you should know. :)
    The pdf for the sidewinder says that it won't fit my Pfaff bobbins.

Blog Entries
    I don't unthread my machine to wind the bobbins, I only use neutral and I keep more than one spool of thread at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    Your kidding? Right?

Be nice, I'm having a bad week

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast