Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
SideWInder - Why? >

SideWInder - Why?

SideWInder - Why?

Old 02-23-2011, 11:39 AM

I only use mine for my longarm because the bobbins don't fit on any of my sewing machine bobbin winders.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:17 PM

I bought one when they first came out because my machine would not fill bobbins anymore-it was more of a necessity than a luxruy at that time. I made do with it but was not happy with it-bobbins did not wind good and thread was loose and messy which cause more issues when trying to sew. I got better at it, but now fill bobbins on an old Singer 301-perfect everytime!
Old 02-23-2011, 12:26 PM

it's just another item ,uneccesary,, at that to clutter a sewing room. I got mine as a gift and think I will regift it! Lorraine
Old 02-23-2011, 12:29 PM

I have one bc the bobbin winder on my machine broke. I forgot to get it fixed when I took the machine in for it's yearly cleaning. I have used it for my LA bobbins, but it does not wind tight enough for them. Now I have a new machine and haven't used the SideWinder in a while.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:09 PM

I had bought one, but didn't like it and took it back!
Old 02-23-2011, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
I just opened a box, that had a SideWinder in it - It looks like it just fills up bobbins - or does it do something else.

Mind you that I have 2 older sewing machines - a Viking from the 70's and a Bernina from the 80's - Bobbins can be filled on my sewing machines

Is it something that is needed in a sewing room. Isn't just as easy to use you sewing machine to fill your bobbins - Does everyone have one of them?
My piecing machine, a 1963 Singer, cannot wind bobbins, part no longer available. My sidewinder lets me continue using this wonderful machine. (Grandmother's machine which I learned to sew on). Sidewinders are a blessing!!
Old 02-23-2011, 01:44 PM

It personal preference. I rarely use the same thread in the bobbin as on top so when I wind, I just put the bobbin thread spool on my extra holder and wind away, usually 2 at a time.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
They are fun to use. My DGD about wore one out filling bobbins. It was worth buying for her to be so happy 'helping' me. I took literally scores of of filled bobbins to guild for members to use and bring back the empty bobbins so DGD could have them to fill again. The first thing she asked when she came over was did the guild need more bobbins for her to fill? She is older now but still remembers the good time she had using the Sidewinder in my sewing room.
OMG, I can imagine my 2 1/2 yr old grandson trying to use it. He would fill up every bobbin in the house and then the thread would end up on the floor - He is at the "Me do" stage and everything is "Mine," with a look of don't even try to get it away from me. My reply to MINE is, no that is Grandma's, but you can borrow it if you want.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
I have one and I like it. I don't have to stop and unthread my machine to fill a bobbin. I have a combination emb and sewing machine. While it is running I can fill bobbins. Personal preference.
Same here. I don't like how my bobbin filler on my quilting machine works. Mine only cost $19.95 & then had a coupon from somewhere I think. I can fill bobbins on embroidery machine when it is running but I like sidewinder. :thumbup:
Old 02-23-2011, 02:08 PM

Hancock sometimes has them on sale for $20. I like mine.