Just easier to use the sidewinder when you run out
of bobbin thread. Yes, all sewing machines will rewind
your bobbins, but you have to stop the project your
working on to rewind the bobbin. Its what ever works
for you. I have a Bernina-230/Patchwork Edition
sewing machine and use the sidewiner all the time. Works for me. Betty Lee
Old 02-23-2011, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
I just opened a box, that had a SideWinder in it - It looks like it just fills up bobbins - or does it do something else.

Mind you that I have 2 older sewing machines - a Viking from the 70's and a Bernina from the 80's - Bobbins can be filled on my sewing machines

Is it something that is needed in a sewing room. Isn't just as easy to use you sewing machine to fill your bobbins - Does everyone have one of them?
I would rather spend the money on fabric. I have Viking machines and all use the same bobbin, so when I am embroidering and run out (usually wind several at a time) I use the machine next to it to wind more bobbins. Just seems a waste to buy a sidewinder and then need batteries (I believe) to keep it running, and another item to find a place to store it.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:36 AM

I have one, I use it to fill bobbins for my 6-needle embroidery machine. It does not fill bobbins and it is in a different room than my sewing machine...call me lazy...
Michelle G. in El Paso
Old 02-23-2011, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
JuneC, the only two types of bobbins that the Sidewinder will not work on are Viking and Bernina. Thought you should know. :)
I have a Bernina and I use the sidewinder with no problem. I like it because I don't have to undo my thread from my machine.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by sunflower126
No I don't have one and I have too wondered why you would spend $30 for one when your machine can wind them for you. Anxious to see what others have to say.
lol... I only bought one, cause I found the 'breast cancer awareness' model on clearance at Walmart... for $6. So I bought it. Now I find that I use it alot when I sew.

1. Some folks machines... the bobbin threading process uses some of the same guides as the sewing process does. Why I don't know. Inefficient. If you have a machine like that... even if you had a 2nd spool pin and a 2nd spool of the exact same thread you're using... you would STILL have to unthread the machine to wind a bobbin.

2. Either wind all your bobbins before you start the project, or you'll still have to have the 2nd spool of the exact same thread to wind new bobbins if you run out - whether you use your machine or a gizmo to wind the bobbin.

3. The bobbin winder gizmo seems to work faster, with less chance of wild nests than my machine. If I attempt to wind a bobbin on my Janome really fast, the thread pops up from the guides and winds all around the spool pin, itself, the machine and my fingers... wild nests and wasted thread.

4. Sometimes the bobbin winder gizmo is just one more thing in the way. So if I know I'm doing a ton of piecing or something, I'll wind up like 12 or so bobbins of my cotton neutral thread before I start, then put the gizmo in a drawer out of the way.

Also I guess... at $6, the gizmo is way less expensive than a trip to the sew store with your machine to take it in for service/fixing if your bobbin winder is broken.

Note #24... lol... bobbin winders on different machines wind differently, with less/more amounts of tension on the thread. If you start a project using one type of winder... try to finish that section of sewing using bobbins wound by the same method. If not, you'll likely not get a tight lockstitch.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:16 AM

I have one and I love it. My machine seems to make the bobbins really loose so I end up with issues when i use it. So I started using the sidewinder. I was given one and now I love it.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:18 AM

I wind up about 30 bobins or more at a time and than I don't have to keep stopping to wind.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:34 AM

There is a reason for bobbin winders. It saves your sewing machine motor. One reason why many machine manufacturers put bobbin winding motors separate on our sewinf machines. I prefer not using my expensive machine to wind bobbins. Have a commercial bobbin winder...got the idea from my Long Arm Lady.
D in TX
Old 02-23-2011, 08:44 AM

I have one--never used it. Found out after I had it a while that I have the 2 brands of machines they will now work with the bobbins--Husqvarna Viking and Singer
Old 02-23-2011, 08:47 AM

I have 2 of them, in New Hampshire and here in Florida in our winter home. I love them, so much quicker than having to fool around with the thread spools.
Good luck, Kutnso