Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
SideWInder - Why? >

SideWInder - Why?

SideWInder - Why?

Old 02-23-2011, 04:57 PM

I bought one from JoAnn Fabric. They had a 50% coupon off on it. Sure beats unthreading my machine I usually wind about a dozen bobbins at a time. I sew with white thread on the charity quilts.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:57 PM

I don't have one because I can't use it for my Viking bobbins. I just wind a couple of bobbins when I do a project. bought a bunch of bobbins. Also on my Viking I can wind bobbin without unthreading my machine. I would rather spend my money on fabric!!
Old 02-23-2011, 04:58 PM

I received one as a gift and I felt it was not necessary--until one day I tried it as I was sewing with a deadline and found it to be very helpful. Saves me a lot of time since I have to unthread, etc to wind a bobbin. Now I use it all the time. I actually will sit and wind bobbins on it while watching movies just to keep my hands busy!
Old 02-23-2011, 04:59 PM

I do have a side winder, won it as a door prize at a quilt retreat. It is handy to wind bobbins without pulling the spool of thread out of the needle to wind a bobbin. I use Bottom Line in the bobbin, so that sits beside the machine and when bobbin runs out, just turn on the winder and I don't disturb the sewing thread on top.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:59 PM

I do have a side winder, won it as a door prize at a quilt retreat. It is handy to wind bobbins without pulling the spool of thread out of the needle to wind a bobbin. I use Bottom Line in the bobbin, so that sits beside the machine and when bobbin runs out, just turn on the winder and I don't disturb the sewing thread on top.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
JuneC, the only two types of bobbins that the Sidewinder will not work on are Viking and Bernina. Thought you should know. :)
I have a Viking and got the pink Sidewinder as it will take the Viking bobins. (Not sure about the Bernina) I love mine - don't have to mess around with un-threading and re-threading the machine therefore the needle can stay in the down position with my piecing underneath it (I usually run out halfway through a seam.) It also saves wear and tear on my machine and travels to classes (when I take one) with me. LOL
Old 02-23-2011, 05:02 PM

It's not a need, but it sure is a luxury if stopping in the middle of a seam to unthread your machine and refill the bobbin is an annoyance. Also, I have heard that this function on a sewing machine can wear out in time; the sidewinder saves using it so much on the machine.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:06 PM

Yeah, I never understood the need for this gizmo - and I usally love my notions! A friend who has everything sold hers at our guild's "garage sale" night.

When I wind bobbins, I do several at a time. It's a long time before I need them again. When I'm getting to the last couple of them, at the next convenient time (NOT when I'm in the middle of a long seam, lol), I do several more.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
JuneC, the only two types of bobbins that the Sidewinder will not work on are Viking and Bernina. Thought you should know. :)
I have the sidewinder and just love it to pieces! And yes, I have a Bernina and use the sidewinder to wind the bobbins all the time. If it doesn't wind it to my liking I just hold the button down and wind it until I'm satisfied with the amount of thread on it.

:)
Old 02-23-2011, 05:10 PM

My quilting friends and I all have one. They love theirs but I really don't care for mine. Unless I have two spools of the same thread I still have to unthread my sewing machine..