Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
SideWInder - Why? >

SideWInder - Why?

SideWInder - Why?

Old 02-22-2011, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
JuneC, the only two types of bobbins that the Sidewinder will not work on are Viking and Bernina. Thought you should know. :)
It doesn't fill the Pfaff 7570 bobbins full either. I just hold the button down until it is full :roll:

I also have an older Homesteader on a frame (Stretch, is the name of it....) and the bobbin winder on that thing is a pain in the ...... Again, the sidewinder doesn't fill the bobbin, but holding the button does a fair job so works for me for now....
Old 02-22-2011, 06:05 PM
bkb

the bobbin winder on my machine has quite working. I would love to have a sidewinder it takes 45 min to wind a bobbin by my hands.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:33 PM

Older machines can wind bobbins SLOOOOOw. Or the bobbin winder on a machine could be broken. Cheaper to buy a sidewinder than fix...
Old 02-22-2011, 07:46 PM

I recieved one from someone slashing their stash and I just used it last for the first time to fill my bobbins for my Singer....I would have to say I really like it! I would say using it would be less wear and tear on your machine, if you have to unthread your machine to to do your bobbins having this would be a plus too.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:07 PM

I have been thinking of getting one because I hate to take the thread out of my machine while using it just to wind another bobbin. I really don't want to spend the money for it. Maybe I should just wind two bobbins before I start sewing. I'll figure it out.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:21 PM
Power Poster

I have one and only used it a few times - but was given a Singer 401A and the wheel to wind the bobbins is rotted away so will need it to wind bobbins for that machine :thumbup:
Old 02-22-2011, 10:39 PM
Power Poster

I have a 1950s Singer and the bobbin winder on it doesn't work. I love my side winder. I have other machines that I could use but the side winder is small and convenient to keep on the shelf by my Singer. I fill 30 bobbins at a time and don't have to mess with stopping to fill bobbins in between. I hate running out of filled bobbins when in the middle of a project. The side winder is easy to pull forward and plug in. Then just fill bobbins. It takes just minutes to fill all of mine. It is alot faster and easier to thread than my other sewing machines. I wouldn't be without it even if my Singer was fixed. To fill bobbins on my Singer I have to disconnect the needle. The side winder is just quicker and easier all the way around.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
JuneC, the only two types of bobbins that the Sidewinder will not work on are Viking and Bernina. Thought you should know. :)
i have a husqvarna (viking) and the sidewinder works just fine.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:21 PM

I love my sidewinder, i hate to stop and fill a bobbin on the machine. Its works fine on my bobbins.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Craftygirl
I'm puzzled about this. Unless you have an extral reel of thread in the same colour, wouldn't you have to unthread your sewing machine anyway to get the reel off to put on the sidewinder. Or am I missing the point completely.
Yes, you'd need an extra spool of thread. I usually keep several of the neutrals on hand. I don't have a sidewinder but my machine has a separate bobbin winder.