Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Signature quilt at my dad's memorial service >

Signature quilt at my dad's memorial service

Signature quilt at my dad's memorial service

Old 08-01-2011, 12:36 PM

Great idea. So sorry for your loss.

Why do you iron freezer paper on, just to make it temporarily stiffer?
Old 08-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Banned

Might I consider rather than write on blocks you have a light color or muslin backing they can write on. Then use it for the back of a quilt.
I did this for my mother and I thought it more appropriate.
It was also easier as you didn't have to make the blocks in advance and take chance of people writing outside the lines.
And those attending can write more.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SWEETPEACHES
Great idea. So sorry for your loss.

Why do you iron freezer paper on, just to make it temporarily stiffer?
Yes, the freezer paper makes it much easier to write on.

I would also write 'please use other side' on the freezer paper side. I read somewhere that at an event several squares were written on, but could not be used because folks wrote on the paper side, not the fabric!
Old 08-01-2011, 03:13 PM

Why not make the portions that need the signatures .... use prewashed tone on tone pale material [prewashed without any additives like softener and ironed] making more than you think you will need. The with something like freezer paper ironed on the back the material is ready. You can make a template to put over this so that the signatures are well within the seam allowances. You could use plain file folders with the area for signatures cut out on one side of the file folder ... making this template the same size as the material to be written on. Then provide written instructions so you can enlist the aid of others in getting all the signatures. Provide the pens you want to use.

This has many advantages. Less bulk to transport. Room for errors since someone always seems to make a 'boo boo' ... they can simply try again on another piece of signature fabric.

I just made a little signature quiltlet using the square in a square method ... the signatures were on the center of the square. The recipient loved it!

ali
Old 08-02-2011, 05:37 AM

Loving memory quilt for your mom is a wonderful idea. I know she will love it. My condolences to your family as well.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

look here for some signature blocks you could make
http://quilterscache.com/AlphabetizedListPageS_Z.html

wash your fabric but do not use fabric softener. the signatures will stay better without it.
use micron pigma pens size .05 for everyone to sign with.
iron freezer paper on the back of the blocks. it might be easier if you have everyone sign the blocks and make the quilt afterwards. heat set the siggys with your iron. i always did that and it worked well.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:10 AM

I have a experience that is different from the others. When my Dad passed , my Mom wanted nothing from the days of the wake or services. She would not wear any of the clothing she wore on those days ever again. She is quite a frugal person and these were expensive items ... so it was completely different. (these were items she owned and not just purchased ).
Just my experience , some do not want any reminders of the grief and want only reminders of the "living" days.