Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Silk thread for English Paper Piecing - good idea or a disaster waiting to happen?

Silk thread for English Paper Piecing - good idea or a disaster waiting to happen?

I need some advice please... I have embarked on an English Paper Piecing adventure and thought using silk thread would be a good idea as I'd heard people recommending it for applique for its ability to bury itself in the fibers of the fabric and become almost invisible. However, after having sewn a few hex's together I'm starting to second guess myself... Will the silk be strong enough or should I switch to regular sewing thread (cotton or poly)?

Well I don't have a clue but am interested in the outcome of this thread. Sorry I can't help.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Blog Entries
    silk thread is stronger than cotton thread. here is a good explanation of different types of threads http://www.askpennyhalgren.com/IKM/q...ting+thread%3F
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I do a lot of English paper piecing quilts, I like to have something on the go to do on my machine and something which I can do infront of the tv and English piecing is perfect for that. I always use poly cotton thread for actually piecing and Isacord when I'm FMQ my quilts and I've not had a quilt fall to pieces yet.
    Old enough to know, young enough to learn.

Blog Entries
    If cost is a factor, I use silk for appliqué and discovered Superior Threads Bottom Line for EPP. You can buy it on prewound bobbins in a variety of colors for compact travel. It hides like silk and doesn't shred like other cottons and polys that i have tried BTW - I use a size 11 needle with it.
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

I use regular Mettler for EPP and it's always worked fine.
    Nothing's a mistake. It's a learning experience. Some experiences, you learn more than others.

Blog Entries
    silk thread is extremely stong

Thanks all, I think I'll continue with the silk then :-)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    if you have silk use it...if you need to buy, get some YLI 60wt cotton bobbin thread..!

I'm so glad to find this thread. I am just starting an english paper piecing project, which I have never done. I have a good supply of silk thread from a machine quilting project, and it seems like a very good idea to use it for EPP. I was looking for advice from someone with experience using it. Thanks for the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    if you have silk use it...if you need to buy, get some YLI 60wt cotton bobbin thread..!
    TY, I am just starting to try EPP. I read the recommendation for using silk thread and while I am sure that is a good idea, I am afraid of the cost. I had thought about using bobbin thread, because it is lighter weight but mostly because I have a very large supply of it.