Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
silk tie quilt >

silk tie quilt

silk tie quilt

Old 09-02-2013, 04:36 AM

Thanks MaryMo. This quilt hangs in our gameroom. We are Ole Miss fans from a long way back so I only used red/blue variations and call the quilt, "Hotty Toddy".
Old 09-02-2013, 10:20 AM
KLO

[QUOTE=toverly;6268596]KLO, the process is easy, just time consuming. I ripped them apart. Then used Woolite and a bucket. I washed "sets of ties" three times each. Ties absorb sweat and I was surprised that I knew who wore which tie due to the smell. Some smelled like Dad some like my Granddad. The washing machine just didn't work for me, I always ended up with a huge tangled mess and tossed it away. I found a pattern on the Moda website for jelly rolls by SewCraftyJess. It worked perfect. [ATTACH=CONFIG]433638[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the great info toverly. I had read elsewhere that washing them in a machine would just result in a rat's nest. I will definitely take your advice. Hate the thoughts of having to take them all apart but I guess that is a good project for in front of the TV. Just recently bought a new container of Woolite so guess I am all set. By the way, your quilt is fantastic!!! Thanks again!
Old 09-02-2013, 05:31 PM

That is a beautiful quilt! I'm planning to make a much smaller piece thank goodness - a huge amount of work must have gone into that. I assume you used a pellon on the back of the ties - all the stripes look like you have retained the bias cut.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:42 AM

Yes, thank goodness for Wonder Under. Even then it didn't always stick to the polyester/rayon ties but it usually stuck "good enough" to get it sewn. I searched over a year to find a pattern that worked with the diagonals. Everytime I thought I had found a pattern, when I sewed it, the diagonals messed up the look. This one works because they are separated by the light blue and only cross at right angles.