Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Silly but functional idea-rotary cutter >

Silly but functional idea-rotary cutter

Silly but functional idea-rotary cutter

Old 01-09-2014, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Teesside View Post
Are you referring to clear plastic flexible tubing or is this a rigid tubing?
This is flexible tubing, and can be purchased at a Dairy Supply store. It is used on milking machines to transport milk from the cow to the bulk tank.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:20 AM

I just recently put my wound bobbins in the toe separator (not sure what to call it) used for pedicures. I saw that posted someplace while browsing. Works for me. Not sure but I think I have seen some at the dollar store. May have to go shopping this afternoon and pick up some more!!
Old 01-09-2014, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Capri View Post
just get some clear (actually it's almost blue) water pipe from the hardware store - about 1 1/2" or so in diameter. Give hubby the job of slicing it up the middle on one side to open it out then into bobbin sized widths. It keeps him happy, he feels like he's helping out and no more messy bobbins ever! 1/2 yard of pipe cost about a dollar and will give you hundreds. I have used these for years and if I lose one, I don't have to bother hunting for it.
GREAT IDEA! Thank you!!
Old 01-09-2014, 08:15 AM

Here is more info on the flexible tubing rings

http://www.schlosserdesigns.com/2012...-bobbin-clips/

and the toe separators

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/59039445088924747/
Old 01-09-2014, 08:30 AM

just get some clear (actually it's almost blue) water pipe from the hardware store - about 1 1/2" or so in diameter. Give hubby the job of slicing it up the middle on one side to open it out then into bobbin sized widths. It keeps him happy, he feels like he's helping out and no more messy bobbins ever! 1/2 yard of pipe cost about a dollar and will give you hundreds. I have used these for years and if I lose one, I don't have to bother hunting for it.
Been using this for years.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
Double sided removable tape is good to hold the bobbin ends of thread. I had to mark my rotary cutter nut too. Until I bought the one click blade change rotary cutter, I think it' Olfa and it is super easy and fast to change the blade.
I just got one of the one click's also and love it. The one I got is turquoise and I thought now I would know which cutter is mine at the sewing group - then they all saw it an the next month everyone had one! Had to go ahead and put my name on it.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
I just got one of the one click's also and love it. The one I got is turquoise and I thought now I would know which cutter is mine at the sewing group - then they all saw it an the next month everyone had one! Had to go ahead and put my name on it.
Isn't that the way it goes, everyone is on the look out for a new tool to make life easier.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

I did this also. But I used clear soft plastic tubing.1/2" diameter slice it in about 1/4" slices, then slit the ring so it will go around the bobbin on top of the thread It's great cause you can see the thread color through the plastic.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:21 AM

Love the idea of the water pipe - will have to hit the hardware store!
Old 01-09-2014, 04:29 PM

I use dots of nail polish to make things. I have a single hole throat plate for my Janome. I forgot it was on several times and broke a needle. I could really screw up my machine that way. I marked The edges with bright pink nail polish so I would remember it was on. Also my creative grids ruler that is 6 1/2 inches drives me nuts. I keep using the wrong side and screw up my cutting. I marked it too.