Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Silly question Number..... >

Silly question Number.....

Silly question Number.....

Old 02-24-2013, 12:00 PM

Default Silly question Number.....

I am sure you all will get tired of my questions, but I am just reading over the pattern for the Stars Ablaze quilt I will start cutting out soon......the directions in the book are for a wall hanging, then it gives the number of finished squares and yardage that you need for a full size quilt.....my question is about borders.....the directions say to cut the borders parallel to the salvage edge....but it doesn't give me the exact size for the double size quilts just the wall hanging.....do I just work out the finished size and cut along the salvage edge or do it piece it....I am thinking the borders should be all one strip but I want to make sure....plus no matter how hard I try to cut long strips and keep them exactly the same size all the way down I end up being off just a tad.....any useful tips if tricks for doing this accurately?

thanks!!
Old 02-24-2013, 12:14 PM

Once you have finished piecing measure across the center of the quilt each way - side to side and top to bottom - then cut your borders. You will have to piece the borders unless you buy enough yardage to equal the length of the quilt. I always piece my borders. When cutting, don't pile your fabric up into too many layers. If you have 2 yards, then fold it twice so you end up with 18" of fabric (18" x 4 = 72") Make sure you are pressing down really well on your ruler when you cut. It it's a little bit off on one side make sure you use the straight side against the quilt. I find that trying to cut more layers makes it easier to get it crooked. Also, make sure you rotary blade is very sharp. Hope this helps.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:23 PM

I don't fuss about trying to cut long strips straight. For borders and backing I tear them. A number of people reading are now having heart attacks
Old 02-24-2013, 01:26 PM

I tear all my borders and long sashings. Press them afterwords and the warp will go away.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

Where did you get the pattern? You might be able to contact the pattern designer and find out what length is needed for the borders. I wouldn't cut them out yet, but you need to know how much of the fabric to save for borders, particularly if you're cutting them lengthwise to avoid seams.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:17 PM
Power Poster

Borders can be pieced or can be one long piece. Solid colors look best in one piece. If the fabric has any kind of random print in it, piecing is generally not noticeable -- especially if you piece on a diagonal.