Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Silly Question: Wasp Spray on Fabric? >

Silly Question: Wasp Spray on Fabric?

Silly Question: Wasp Spray on Fabric?

Old 08-16-2019, 04:09 AM

Default Silly Question: Wasp Spray on Fabric?

Hopefully I'm not the only one in the quilting history who has had to ask this... Does insect/wasp spray residue stain fabrics? I read the back of the can and it didn't mention anything about staining fabrics, or avoiding spraying on fabrics.

Yesterday a wasp came inside our storage room, where I have a lot of my fabrics, some of them bagged but not all. The wasp was really angry, so I didn't want to get anywhere near it! I grabbed the can of wasp spray and used that to kill it. Unfortunately it was the can that claims it will shoot up to 20ft! (I'll believe it!) Some got on my fabrics. I don't have the time or energy to wash them all. What do you think?
Old 08-16-2019, 04:19 AM
Power Poster

I think the contents of the can contain a poison?

Do you want to handle items that you know might have something toxic on them?

Maybe only the items that were uncovered.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:22 AM

I agree with bearisgray!
Old 08-16-2019, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

Not only poisonous but possibly caustic enough to eat fabric if left for a while. I would give each fabric the sniff test, if it smells of the spray, wash it. One of things where you mutter to yourself....could have, would have, should have....
Old 08-16-2019, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

I would definitely wash them. The sprays that shoot 20 ft are the ones for shooting directly on/into a nest/hive that often are in the eaves of houses. They shoot a concentrated stream, not a fine mist like regular bug spray. So your fabrics didn't just get a light misting on them they got a concentrated stream which means quite a bit more of the poison got on the fabric then a fine mist.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:23 AM

Okay, thanks, everyone. I'll wash them. Boy, I hate to do it, as it was near my big bolt of white too.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

It was not a silly question.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:50 PM

Wasps have been incredibly bad this year where I live. People who have never been allergic are having anaphylactic reactions after a second or third sting. I do not blame you for grabbing the chemical spray to protect yourself.

Better safe than sorry with the fabric. Perhaps a trip to a laundromat with the huge washers will help to get the job done more quickly?

Me, I choose not to use wasp spray as I worry about the effect on my health and my pets. I will open a window if possible, cover with a cup, squash etc.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:39 PM

I have found hairspray to be good in this situation. It sticks the wings together and covers the spiracles they breathe through.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:00 AM

Not to far off topic but I have had problems with wasps this year too. Building on the eaves of my house, bought a couple of cans of wasp spray at tractor supply (they had set up right on the register) and the cashier asked for my date of birth! I was a bit taken back as the only other thing I bought was chicken feed and questioned why. She said they had to ask the age of anyone who buys any insect killer. was my thoughts, gave her my birthday and went on my way. Still wondering about that though.......by the way, was born in 1948 and look it.
Think those crazy young ones have traded Tide pods for wasp spray?????? lol

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-17-2019 at 02:43 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps