Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Silly Sewing Poll - i'm wondering who's like me?

Blog Entries
    no shoes, need to feel that pedal....at retreat am usually limping around with one shoe on

Banned
    bear feet. i like the feel of my pedal, But the dern thing keeps sliding, so i curl my toes around the top :wink:

Usually with socks only. I have very cold feet. Even in summer, they get cold. Sometimes, I wander in there with my slippers on. I end up kicking off my right slipper to use the pedal without a shoe on. It is a control thing. How funny! I didn't know others did stuff like that for the same reason! Yeah! I'm normal!! (lol)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    stocking feet- that way when I walk around I tell myself I am dusting the hardwood floors as well! LOL!
    If I did that, I'd be a giant woolybooger by the time I got to the stairway. lol

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    stocking feet- that way when I walk around I tell myself I am dusting the hardwood floors as well! LOL!
    If I did that, I'd be a giant woolybooger by the time I got to the stairway. lol
    Me too. I just saw all that here on my floors when I read this. Guess I should go up and mop floors. Or not. Woolyboogers rule! Lordy I love retirement!

I'm an out of control quilter...things go tossing over my head, drop around my feet if I miss the pin cushion, etc....and even though I always try to remember to shut my rotary down when not in use, I have been known to forget it w/it open. (Or what I drop carrying too many things from one side to the other of the room) So, shoes are an investment to keep sewing and prob not visiting the emerg. room..:)Skeat

hi Julie, I'm Donna (dojo36). wanted to ask you something about what kind of shoes you wear? i'm 72 and my arches have just fallen not too long ago and i am now flat-footed, went to foot doctor and they x-rayed and that's what he said. anyhow i have a horrible time finding any kind of shoes i can wear, my feet hurt terrible all the time in the arches and even when i go to bed at night - can hardly go to sleep for my arches hurting? do you have any better advice than the doctor did? thanks, donna

I sew either with socks on or barefooted. With shoes I feel I don't have control.

Mostly, I sew with bare feet (and this even after breaking off a needle in my foot that had to be surgically removed!).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Judith
    Mostly, I sew with bare feet (and this even after breaking off a needle in my foot that had to be surgically removed!).
    OMG!!!

you're totally hard core!

i usually wear no shoes - socks, sock-like slippers... barefoot rarely - but never in shoes.

Socks , No shoes or slippers.

I am just like you... I went to a sewing class and I couldn't figure out why I was so uncomfortable. Well, I had to take my shoes off. lol Everybody thought I was crazy. But, I had to do it or I couldn't sew.
    Judy in Ohio

Blog Entries
    socks in winter, barefeet in summer... shoes bug me--I can't flex my foot on the presser thing the way I want.

In the winter, I usually wear slippers and socks (my feet are always cold). In summer, flip-flops. I'm always finding pins on the floor and I'd rather it not be in my bare feet...

Socks or barefeet, was at a class and the instructor told us to take off our shoes if that was the way we sewed at home

Quote Originally Posted by Shemjo
    Bad feet, have to wear orthotics, so I always wear shoes! Wish I could do otherwise! :?
    Ditto here. I think we are in the minority it sounds like. I even feel I need to have shoes on to sit at the computer. I pretty much can only stare barefoot long enough to take a shower. Fortunately I have carpet in my bathroom or I would have to put shoes on with my orthotics just to put my make up on!!! Wish I could go barefoot, too much pain.

I have a young friend who does not allow shoes in her house, I come into the entry way and if I have to stay I only stand on the carpeted living room. It is too painful to walk into the kitchen or anything without my shoes on. I delivered a meal to her after her baby was born and I just handed it to her husband in the entry cause my feet were hurting too badly to take off the shoes to take her dinner into the kitchen. We didn't stay very long because of that.

I have the same deal as Shemjo and Jim's Gem (Gayle)... I have bad feet and must wear sturdy athletic shoes with orthotics or I have much pain.
    Since last October, I have been having a bad flare up of my never really gone bilateral plantar fascitis and achilles tendonitis and both of those have caused bone spurs on both feet. I'm using a cane and scooter per dr's orders. I used to live barefooted every summer and even though it was years ago, I can remember the feeling of sewing that way.
    Cathy

socks

I wear shoes, because I don't want to step in any "gifts" the pet rabbit might leave me! She is very well litterbox trained every where but the sewing room!

I too like the sewing barefoot in summer. But I use what is call slipper sock w/traction on the bottom in the winter. This is because I like to be able to use just my toes to control the foot pedal on my old Kenmore machine. On the newer Jamome I put my whole foot on the pedal, it's pedal is more like the car's gas pedal. Where as the Kenmore you press the front edge down because it is hinged at the front not at the heel. I'm use to it but like the newer gas pedal style even better.

Blog Entries
    Always have to be barefooted. Not so bad where I live now, but was a little bit chilly in snow country.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hulahoop1
    Always have to be barefooted. Not so bad where I live now, but was a little bit chilly in snow country.
    I even have to take my shoes off at work. Coworkers think it's really funny to steal my shoes.....

Just in my socks. And I am really weird...I sew with the foot pedal BEHIND my foot, and press down on the top of it with my heel, toes resting on the floor. No idea why I do it, but have always done it and feels totally natural to me.

Shoes or slippers here I don't like to go barefooted.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast