Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Silly Sewing Poll - i'm wondering who's like me?

socks--have to wear shoes and orthotics when walking--but need the control feeling--:o)

Blog Entries
    I wear my socks.Your right It feels like I have more control quie offten I take a shoe off when I'm driving.I think it comes from going bare foot for so long. :D

So! Now we know!
    Most quilters have control issues? :D

Shoes. I wear supports in my shoes for my poor old tooties, if they are happy than I am happy and I can sew to my heart's desire.

I must be stocking footed or bare footed. I need to feel the pedal or I don't have the control I want. I was sewing at work, and they were teasing me about taking my shoes off. Oh well, I learned barefoot (that is how I am at home anyway) and maybe it is in my head, but I like it better that way.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunQuilter2
    Funny you should ask that!! I have to be barefoot. I feel better using the petal barefoot. I have tried with shoes on but it is just not comfortable for me. Are there any others like that out there?
    exactly!!!!!

Hey, me too I sew in socks. If I have shoes on I usually kick off my right on for the pedal, much bett control don't ya know ;)

Quote Originally Posted by wichypoo
    Hey, me too I sew in socks. If I have shoes on I usually kick off my right on for the pedal, much bett control don't ya know ;)
    This is a common statement, I didn't just single you out , but I was thinking ... why do I sew in stocking feet? I agree that I can "feel" the peddle better, but more, the weight of my shoes, plus being a natural "lead foot", is just too heavy on my ankle. And, then it came to me! Could it be that the angle of my legs and feet, because of the height of the table I have put my machine on ... could that be a contributing factor as to whether we sew with shoes or socks?
    Maybe, if we designed a board that angled the peddle differently, more of us would wear shoes.
    Come to think of it, hubby and I found an old Singer machine in cabinet at a thrift store, and it runs by using my knee! (of course, that was a problem, because at the factory, the knee lever was the thing that raised the presser foot. So, I was sewing some satin thing, wanted to change my fabric under the presser foot, forgot where I was, and when I hit the knee lever to lift the foot - - well, an old machine going as hard as it can on satin ... not a pretty picture! LOL)
    Anyway, I just had this design idea and came to ponder with you all. A design flaw has a better ring to it than control issues, don't you think? LOL

I always take off my shoe that I use for the pedal. So most of the time I walk around with omly one shoe on. My daughter drives the same way. she tskes off her gas pedal shoe.

Boy I just read my own post and I can't type accurately sorry. :oops: I agree the change from old to new with knee control and two differen functions is a definite design error. Makers of machines should know we'll have as many machines as we can. I have two right now but would love a featherweight.

Quote Originally Posted by wichypoo
    Boy I just read my own post and I can't type accurately sorry. :oops: I agree the change from old to new with knee control and two differen functions is a definite design error. Makers of machines should know we'll have as many machines as we can. I have two right now but would love a featherweight.
    Well, to be fair ... the machine we got at the thrift store was/is probably older than I am. The machine I used at the factory was designed to PRODUCE! Production work is different from home sewing, and so the machines at the factory were actually more adept at sewing and production than a home machine ever could be - - until the last ten years or so. THen, someone figured out that there were serious seamstresses who don't work in factories and started making industrial strength machines for us. My factory machine - - I can't even move it by myself, and that is just the head ... forget the motor and all the other weight that is hidden somewhere in there.
    On the factory machine, I could start sewing, tap back on the foot board and cut. I never had to hold on to the thread tails to start a new piece, the knee lever lifted the presser foot ... and any combination of those actions could be done on the fly. Most portable machines can't survive someone backtacking without using reverse, and if I don't make the reverse action in two distinct motions, allowing the machine time to slow, back up, and then sew forward ... i will bust needles, blow the timing, and all sorts of things.
    Thankfully, private machine operators are now able to enjoy that productivity in their homes because machine manufacturers are starting to take us seriously ... Janome, Juki, Singer, and Viking ... all good factory machine producers ... and, now they are even making the machines affordable! How cool is that?
    I loved factory work ....LOL

I usually sew barefoot or with sox on so I can feel the peddle. I find shoes to be cumbersome no matter what I am doing. I live in Southern California and most of the summer it is too hot to wear shoes anyway so it is easy to transition from any task around the house to the sewing room.

Yes, I wear light socks, not heavy or barefoot in summer. :)

WoW, The industial machines sounds awesome. I Bought a Brother Quilt machine. It cannot handle any thicknesses, just breaks needles and makes nests. I was recently at an upholsterers store and their machines were HUGE. Lots of head space. I think I would love one of those. I am happy to hear you loved you job , so many hate jobs, its a blessing when you love you work.

Usually bare feet - I also like to feel the pedal. If I'm sewing at the shop I wear socks and they freak out because they worry about dropped pins. I've never stepped on one yet.

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries
    So! Now we know!
    Most quilters have control issues?
    no surprise.. Quilting is a craft with "exactness" or the corners do not match..... control, precision...
    Main Entry: control
    Part of Speech: noun
    Definition: command, mastery

We wrestle with fabric, fight with color and design matches, we master the curves, points, various shapes..

Heck yes !! Control freaks !! Proud of it !!! Wish I had that smiley face !!
    Ellen

Quote Originally Posted by chairjogger
    So! Now we know!
    Most quilters have control issues?
    no surprise.. Quilting is a craft with "exactness" or the corners do not match..... control, precision...
    Main Entry: control
    Part of Speech: noun
    Definition: command, mastery

We wrestle with fabric, fight with color and design matches, we master the curves, points, various shapes..

Heck yes !! Control freaks !! Proud of it !!! Wish I had that smiley face !!
    Ellen
    When you go to the reply page, in the upper left hand corner are some little smiley faces. If you click on one, it will put a series of commands onto your reply form. You won't see the proper EMOTICON until you click on submit. I will click on the first row of five down and see what you think That is the way I designate smile ... but here are the emoticons. :) :mrgreen: 8) :oops: :roll: Then, if you click on the words "more smilies", it will pop up a menu with thirty two emoticons, including :thumbup: :XD: :!: :arrow:
    Hope this little tutorial helped :!:

:!: Oh! and, I forgot ... thank you for the definition of control ... you are definitely right ... quilting brings out the best in control issues. Good Job :-o

I am like Vicki, my feet get very cold, I need slippers on my feet in winter. Socks will do at other times.
    Nancy

Blog Entries
    I don't where anything on my feet when I sew. I slide my shoes off to sew and then as I walk around I slide them back on. I usually have a pair of flip flops.

Diana

I like to sew....in my bare feet!!!! :) :D

I sew with either socks or my slippers on. My sewig room in 1/2 of my finished basement and even though it has thick berber carpet, it can get cold down there. If I had to sew with shoes on, I would go crazy.
    I have to be able to feel the foot peddle. So you are not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by omak
    So! Now we know!
    Most quilters have control issues? :D
    Yes, I have contol issues. I try to tell everyone what they need to do even if they know how to do it. That is if I know what is being done. :D
    Must be the Leo in me for I am always worried something is not getting done right.

With my sewing the speed scares me sometimes and I panic. Jeeze I am 44 think I would not get panicky but it seems this is something new with me. Hit 40 get unsure, never had the problem before. Well, I know possible why and it is not the issue. I am hoping as I use my machine more the speed thing will cure itself. I just hate messing up and speed it is so easy to do it.

barefoot all the time

slippers around the house in my sewing room i wear a bootie or
    a sock on right foot to sew my toes wrap around edge of peddle
    while sewing lol
    my greatgrandmother used to sew like that too
    how i learn sitting on her lap many years ago
    frankie

cjc
    What a great question!! My husband always laughs at me, when I am sewing I have my right foot either barefoot or in socks and my left foot has the shoe on.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast