Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Simply Quilt Programs

I wish there were alot more shows on sewing and quilting! I have so much to learn! For now I watch alot of youtube for instruction.

I used to love HGTV when it had all the sewing and crafting shows on, not any more. I don't watch it at all. Seems to me it has turned into one long infomercial. I do watch Quilt in a day as I am a Burns fanatic. I also get a variety of quilting and sewing shows on public TV. It varies from area to area so check with your local station. Sewing with Nancy is a staple and I always learn something new from her. I do buy the DVDs of particular favorites. Eleanor Burns new Block Party Series is a real winner. Check out both her and Nancy Zieman's web sites for free vids of their shows. Send HGTV back into the ether.

Thought I was so smart. Taped all the Alex Anderson, Carol's craft shows, and a few other quilting shows over the years. Indexed them, and now have boxes of VHS tapes. Problem - no VHS player - mine died! Best laid plans......

If you know what episode you are looking for or the subject matter, maybe I could send you the tape.

When simply quilts started i taped all of the shows I must have probable 75 vhs tapes I go back from time to time and check out the show if I need help on a certain project.I did that with Quilt in a Day show with Eleanor Burns. I am in the process of transfering all of the vhs tapes to c.d. for fear the vhs tapes will not last as long as the c.d.

Amen!! Never saw so many cooking shows and I hate to cook!!
    Id much rather clean up :)

Quote Originally Posted by Ma for Aadyn
    When simply quilts started i taped all of the shows I must have probable 75 vhs tapes I go back from time to time and check out the show if I need help on a certain project.I did that with Quilt in a Day show with Eleanor Burns. I am in the process of transfering all of the vhs tapes to c.d. for fear the vhs tapes will not last as long as the c.d.
    I heard the tapes will last longer than the cds.
    Can I add reality shows to the "list". I'm sooo tired of them also. They all seem so fake now.

I agree. I loved her program. Back n the day I taped about 60 of her shows. Every so often I take one out and enjoy.
    When I was just starting to quilt , her program was a lot like this board---very informative and helpful,
    Fortunately i taped them when I was still organized and kept a notebook on the programs, subjects, etc. so I know where to go for what I want. Oh, if only that skill was still in my skill set LOL :lol:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    Sounds like a case of age descrimination. Do we have a lawsuit here? LOL Actually, I guess it's their network and they can do as they darn well please. I seldom watch it anymore. I'm pretty sick of home improvement and buying the house of your dreams shows.
    I've been saying almost the same thng to my husband lately. Have you ever noticed how many channels are geared toward men? They have the golf channel countless hunting, fishing channels not to mention espn out the kazoo.
    What do we women have?
    Trashy soap operas, that don't have any real storyline that makes any sense.
    I swear that every time I try to watch HGTV all that is on is House hunters or someone that already has a nice house but is willing to shell out mega buck$ for a remodel that most of the real world would be happy to live with as is.
    I think we could all band together for a class action suit against all the broadcasting companies for age and sex discrimination.

Oh so it's not just me !!!!

Yeah I quit watching HGTV too. Just cause we are older we don't have the right to decent tv I guess.

I used to be a fan of HGTV, DIY, and Food. It seems like I've seen all the Food shows at least 6 times and there are no new ones except "competitions". DIY and HGTV got way too out of line showing workmanship that is poor at best and encouraging people to do things that are fire and building codes violations. Ergo, I don't watch much TV anymore. Leaves more time for this forum and for sewing.

Blog Entries
    How about bombarding the Discovery Channel to put out a craft series for everyone, which would naturally include P&Q.

Yup I'm with everyone else no more HGTV for me. I also do not watch reality shows. I have been watching the Halmark channel for all the xmas movies as we get it free for the month of Dec. to expensive to get it all the time as you have to buy the top package to get it not available by it self. So I spend my time doing something constructive in my sewing room or checking out my next project on the boards.
    LuAnn

I personally love HGTV and have it on all the time. I love seeing the new home products there are - Not that I'm going to purchase them;up to date decorating ideas, etc. There is also the WOmen's Network - they should be approached re quilting shows. I never saw the quilting shows on HGTV but have watched them PBS a lot. Just my opinion....

Lets all band together and bombard HGTV with email messages about their programming. Maybe, I said maybe, they will hear us.

Quote Originally Posted by chance
    Thought I was so smart. Taped all the Alex Anderson, Carol's craft shows, and a few other quilting shows over the years. Indexed them, and now have boxes of VHS tapes. Problem - no VHS player - mine died! Best laid plans......

If you know what episode you are looking for or the subject matter, maybe I could send you the tape.
    You could look for a local photography store, call them and see if they do it or could recommend someone who can change them from VHS to DVD. My husband does it all the time.

I have some her episodes on tape I recorded a while back. Maybe I have something you're looking for in particular? At the OLD age of almost 38 I love quilting and know plenty of others that enjoyed the sewing/quilting shows on HGTV and DIY. It probably comes down to which type of shows make them money and that's what they will air.

I'm not a fan of HGTV any more. They are geared for the young, which can't afford anything much when they start out but they all want the biggest and the best right away. I'm sure they'd walk into my house, too and say that everything had to go and be updated. I have a nice house and it's taken us years to get it but we love it and appreciate the work we've put into it. I often wonder, if you revisited some of these young couples that just had to have everything perfect the first time around if they'd still live in that house or even be together. I just don't like the message that HGTV is sending to young people that if you go in debt far enough you can have it all right now.

OK...that was my rant on HGTV, so here's a web that you can see Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims. Maybe someone else has already posted this. I didn't read all the posting...sorry :).... http://www.thequiltshow.com. I also like to watch (on the web): www.quilterstv.com.

Ok quilters, let's start writing HGTV. I'm going to make it a new "main" topic too.

http://www.hgtv.com/contact-us/package/index.html

I wonder how much of it comes down to what companies are willing to buy advertisement on the various shows... If no sewing machine/thread/fabric companies are willing to shell out the bucks we lose out?
    Just a thought.
    Sorcha

Blog Entries
    Now that you mention it, I don't watch HGTV anymore either. I used to watch it frequently.

Lucky me, i had to work when Simply Quilts was on the tellie so I taped ALOT if not most of the episodes on (GASP) VHS but i still have them and the machine to play them so every soooooooo often I get them out and view them. DH says I should convert them to DVD. Also taped Quilt in a Day and fons and Porter when I could. They are older but MINE! hehehehehe :D :D :D

I also agree HGTV is no good to watch anymore,we get Fons & Porters 0n PBS,check out their web sight. :idea:

Seems like you can find numerous shows for football.hockey,fishing,cooking,decorating,but ZERO ones for any kind of crafts...I know that not everyone does crafts but not everyone fishes either...come on guys...let's see if we can't get at least a couple of craft shows on...

Ok, I just wrote my thought on the subject.
    Let's get busy with it and hope for some results.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast