Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer 15-91 - FMQ question >

Singer 15-91 - FMQ question

Singer 15-91 - FMQ question

Old 01-25-2012, 09:15 AM

shnnn...such a pretty quilt! Breathing easier with the details you gave. The cabinet is a big plus for me, like I am killing 2 birds with one stone. I don't have to build my own cabinet!!! And I get a flat sewing surface. I am thinking that alone will help immensely!! After all - I am accustomed right now to FMQ on the bed of my machine, and have done an almost full size on it. So - smaller harp space than on the Singer, and on the bed of a machine that is not in a cabinet - so smaller all the way around. I keep thinking - if you get comfortable FMQ on this small space - anything else will be a bonus.

So glad for the encouragement on this board - and the wealth of information. Will keep breathing Havplenty. Such a pretty machine, can't wait to see it later. Will definitely post how it goes!!
Old 01-25-2012, 02:23 PM

Good luck on testing out the machine. You sound like me...I stress over these kinds of decisions. I really do like the yellow cabinet although it wouldn't match anything in my home either. However, I would NOT hesitate to offer them less...they can only say No and then you can decide if you want to pay the full price. AND you will love having a 15-91. I was given one but not in a case or cabinet and I enjoy sewing on it. It zooms, too!
Old 01-25-2012, 06:34 PM

Ok, so I came home with my new sewing machine! She sure is pretty. I'll have to think of a name for her. Never named a sewing machine, but this one will have a name. I think she will work wonderfully for what I bought her for. Am also already really liking the knee lift thingy.

I found a pdf of the manual online (that was the only thing her previous owner didn't have). I see how to thread her, wind bobbin, put the bobbin thread in.

Not sure about her tension. Seems no matter what I do, I can see some of my bobbin thread on top. The stitches seemed fine when testing. But then we lowered the feed dogs to test that out, I did adjust the presser foot pressure, did adjust the tension. And now - can't seem to get that quite right.

Also, it seems like the stitches may be slightly to one side? I am used to this being the way the seams look on my other machines, just wanted to be sure it was right for this one. I have posted 2 pictures below. I have natural colored thread in the top, pink in the bobbin. Not sure what else to adjust. It doesn't seem to matter where I move the tension dial (manual indicated to adjust the tension with the presser foot down, so I am doing that). Have tried messing with the presser foot pressure as well.

Suggestions for this newbie with a vintage machine?
Attached Thumbnails front-fabric-natural-thread.jpg   back-fabric-pink-bobbin-thread.jpg  
Old 01-25-2012, 07:56 PM

congratulations dawn on your new purchase. hop on over to the vintage machine thread and there should be someone there to answer your questions. i will be watching as my 15-91 will be put to work soon also.

yep the vintage gals are something special so choose her a name.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ll-t43881.html

Last edited by Havplenty; 01-25-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:36 AM

Yep the peoples in the vintage machine shop are so smart! I'm sure they'll have a great answer for you But, you said it doesn't matter where you turn the dial? have you unthreaded and rethreaded to make sure you're through the tension disks?
Old 01-26-2012, 06:41 AM

Thanks havplenty and shnnn. After I posted this question, in the back of my mind I was thinking I needed to go put the question somewhere more appropriate - but then I didn't want to double-post. And I threaded/unthreaded/rethreaded.

I did post my question over in the Vintage machines folder. And the answer was stunningly simple. I'll give it here since I already posted the question here. I was running through only 1 layer of fabric, not really enough for the lockstitch to lock. And I thought, "Duh!!! When do I ever run only 1 piece of fabric through (other than a small fabric leader)?" It wouldn't be sewing if there were not 2 pieces of fabric.

So I ran 2 pieces through, made a couple of small adjustments and voila! Looks like a great stitch.

I am so happy - and she is so pretty! I have to come up with a name for her...[ATTACH=CONFIG]306320[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails imag0138.jpg  
Old 01-26-2012, 09:58 AM

Congratulations! Glad you solved the tension problem! Let us know how you like FMQ on it!
Old 01-26-2012, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Lucky Patsy's View Post
Congratulations! Glad you solved the tension problem! Let us know how you like FMQ on it!
Really like piecing on it. Have tried FMQ - that will take a little bit of work. Primarily because my surface isn't slick enough. So I am having trouble moving the fabric (it's not the pressure foot, because I have already loosened that up, and I also have the stitch link on the neutral line, as well as having the feed dogs dropped).

The little bit I can do - I can tell it will be nice. Tension okay, and I am comfortable with stippling/meandering on my other machine. My only bit of trouble is the non-slick problem. I have read a lot of different suggestions at various times, so will have to go back and research again. I am expecting it to be wonderful once I have that little issue solved. Oh, and I was worried about speed. I don't think that will be an issue. There seems to be more than enough speed.